1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Please please help me (WinXP)

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by BlakBeard, Aug 21, 2002.

1. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

I am on the verge of returning my Pioneer A0-4….
    There is nothing wrong with it but I just can NOT seem to accomplish making a backup…I have been reading posts here for the last few days and my head is about to explode…
    Does anybody know of a simple striping guide for “WINDOWS XP” I have read in the FAQ that IfoEdit wont work with XP so maybe that’s the problem

Any someone Please PLEASE help…..I am so frustrated

2. Snowface

Snowface Member

BlackBeard, there's no need to get frustrated. DVD's and DVD structure is very complex. It'll take some time before you understand everything. But luckily we don't have to know everything, now do we?
    I have WindowsXP pro and I've been using IfoEdit without any problems. The only thing that doesn't is it's TMPGEnc template, but that a bug in my 0.91 version, it has nothing to do with XP.
    But before anybody can help you, you need to tell us what you're trying to do, which programs you're using, what the problem is and what you've tried to overcome your problems.

3. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Thank you so much for your reply...I will try again and document each step for you...Wow its nice to know someone will help..Thanx again

Is it ok for me to post screen shots instead of doing all of the typing that most people do?

4. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Ok here goes...I am trying this with my copy of Animal

First I ripped the whole DVD to the folder C:Animal/VIDEO_TS
    Then I opened the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with IfoEDIT Screenshot>>>http://home.earthlink.net/~jethrolights/EDIT.jpg) The movie is in Title 1:VTS_5, right?

So I copied all these files to another folder named C:VIDEO_TS Screenshot>>>http://home.earthlink.net/~jethrolights/NERO.jpg
    Then I burned it what did I miss because it still doesnt work

This is the guide I followed http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow/menuidiot.html

5. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Also when I try to open the new VIDEO_TS.IFO file I get a Error that reads "GetNumberOfChaptersFailed"

Am I close?

6. malum

malum Regular member

I wrote a long reply but the connection dropped and I lost it.

You need to use IFOedit to strip out the extras and rebuild the VOB's don't just copy them across.

The VOB extras screen is greyed out as you have the wrong ifo open

"Also when I try to open the new VIDEO_TS.IFO file I get a Error that reads "GetNumberOfChaptersFailed"
    "
    Is this because you copied them across and then opened it in the new folder that doesn't have all the chapters maybe?

(I am a beginner BTW so I could be wrong.)

I have burnt a sum total of two DVD's successfully! (got the drive on Tuesday)

The first and most important step (I found) is to rip the entire DVD (file mode all files in decrypter) this is essential to get Ifoedit to work correctly.

7. malum

malum Regular member

BTW I am using XP without a problem

8. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Thanx for the reply malum...
    I think I just opened the Ifo in that screenshot just to GET the screenshot...I did all of my IfoEdit work on the VTS_5 file...
    I have followed about four guides and I am still missing something and I think it is something very simple that my be left out of the guides...

Is it possible for you/anyone to give me a step by step on how to save and burn JUST the movie...I don’t need to have the menu although that would be nice ...I just want to figure one thing out at a time

My copy of Prassi Primo is now working (wouldn’t recognize my AO-4)so I will use that OR Nero for burning

Thanx again

9. Snowface

Snowface Member

OK, I think I see the problem here and I'll explain what I'm doing.
    First you rip the either the entire DVD or just the movie with the VIDEO_TS.xx files. Then, only if you must, you open the Ifo file of the movie with IfoEdit and press Vob Extras, so you can strip everything you don't need or wanna have. And this is the most important part: as soon as you're done, you need to open the movie's Ifo file again with IfoEdit and press "Get VTS sectors". Because the movie has been ripped, and maybe thing have been stripped out, the sectors where one vob ends and the next one continues has changed. This way everything is corrected. The moment you press that button, it'll check every Vob file there is.
    One thing I always do, is close and restart IfoEdit for every action, just to be on the safe side in case of bugs.
    Now you're ready to burn (if it fits).

10. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

>>>(If It fits)<<<

That’s another thing ...In I really don’t care if I have all the deleted scenes and other extras like that I would just like the movie…That way I know it will fit on one DVD-R

I REALLY appreciate you help guys

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2002
  11. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Ok lets try it this way....
    I have ALL files ripped to my HD..
    All files are in a folder (on my desktop)...
    The name of the folder is VIDEO_TS..
    I ONLY want the movie(in english)and the english digital audio..
    I want to be able to plat it on my settop player
    What do I do next??

12. jmarkoa

jmarkoa Guest

Blakbeard,

Snowface has it all correct in his reply, but maybe I can add a few details to clear things up.

First thing you need to know is that it IS possible to strip out EVERYTHING using IFOEditor (except for 1 video and 1 audio)and still end up with a file that is too big for direct copying. Remember, anything over 4.36GB cannot be burned directly to a 4.7GB DVD+R without first shrinking(re-encoding) the file.

First things first...

Since you already have ALL IFO, BUP, VOB files for the entire movie ripped to your hard drive, let's start from there. first, you must determine which VTS your movie is in. This is done simply by opening your VIDEO_TS folder, click on view, then details, so that you can see the sizes of all your files. Your movie is the largest one and will look something like this:
    VTS_03_0.VOB 178,390 KB
    VTS_03_1.VOB 1,048,544 KB
    VTS_03_2.VOB 1,048,544 KB
    VTS_03_3.VOB 1,048,544 KB
    VTS_03_4.VOB 1,048,544 KB

This example shows this movie is in VTS_03. Now open IFOEdit and click open in the lower left corner. Brouse to find your VIDEO_TS folder and open the VTS for your movie(in my example it would be VTS_03_0). The bottom half of the screen is the description and will tell you everything that is in your movie(and possibly other things like the menu). Click anywhere in the descriptions box and scroll through looking for various program chains(for example, PGC_1). The largest(or longest) will be the movie. The first line of the movie program chain will tell which VOB-IDs it uses. Remember these. Next, click the VOB Extras button at the bottom of the screen. Now you will want to check the boxes: strip stream, strip VOB, correct VOB, correct IFO, and correct new. Re-mux, rebuild, and split should not be checked. Everything in the "VOB file options" box should be checked. Select a destination directory folder to store the new files(call it anything, it will be changed later). Then, press OK. Here is where you check what you want to keep. I only keep 1 dolby 6ch audio and no subpictures(subtitles). Click strip-it. Now for the video. Here you need to keep the VOB-IDs for your movie that you remembered from earlier. Click strip-it again and wait until it finishes(about 20 min.). Now close IFOEdit and reopen it. Open the NEW folder and click Get VTS Sectors. The only thing left to do is see if your new folder size is under 4.36GB. If it is, rename your new folder to VIDEO_TS and burn THE ENTIRE FOLDER to your DVD+R. GOOD LUCK!!

hope this wasn't too informative, I'm not sure how much you've learned so far. If you don't understand something, post it and i'll check back later.

13. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Ok I did exactly what you said and here is what I burned and it still doesn’t work (My players LCD just goes to Chapter 0 and that’s it) still better than before..(Screenshot of the folder I burned>>> http://home.earthlink.net/~jethrolights/labow.jpg <<<) Do I need the Original VIDEO_TS.VOB file ? If so what do I need to change before I add it...

Your instructions were great except for this part

>>>Then, press OK. Here is where you check what you want to keep. I only keep 1 Dolby 6ch audio and no sub pictures(subtitles). Click strip-it.<<<

>>>Now for the video. Here you need to keep the VOB-IDs for your movie that you remembered from earlier. Click strip-it again and wait until it finishes(about 20 min.).<<<
    Those two strips are done at the same time right? It reads like I need to do it once for the Audio and Subtitles and once for the audio…

These two are done at the same time right?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 24, 2002
  14. Snowface

Snowface Member

OK, I read jmarkoa's reply, but there's one thing I never do.
    He explained what needs to be checked in IfoEdit/Vob Extras and what not. But I never ever check "strip VobID". So that leaves me with 4 checkmarks in the "Options" box.
    Then I never check the "Remove llvu/Anglepoint", maybe I should, but it works for me.
    Also, when you check "Create new *.Ifo", the VIDEO_TS.VOB is no longer necessary.
    When you're done with stripping, restart IfoEdit, open your stripped-movie's Ifo file and hit "Get VTS sectors" (this is really important, otherwise your movie will never work). If you did this, then ignore my remark.
    What we didn't mention 'till now is, sometimes it's necessary to put in an empty AUDIO_TS folder in de DVD's root, just for compatibility reasons.
    So you're burning an empty AUDIO_TS folder and a VIDEO_TS folder with your stripped VOB files and new IFO files. This always works for me.
    But maybe you're doing nothing wrong. It could be your burning program. Nero has had some problems with some versions and that's why I've used Prassi PrimoDVD ever since, eventhough there are plenty guys and girls who manage to burn good DVDs with Nero.

[edit] some typos

Last edited: Aug 24, 2002
  15. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

Snowface are you saying that I do NOT need to burn the VIDEO_TS.VOB...PLEASE look at the screenshot ..It shows exactly what I burned...I do not own a disk that has NO VIDEO_TS.VOB file

16. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

I just tried again but I added the original VIDEO_TS.VOB file and I still just get "Title 0" on my set top LCD readout

17. jmarkoa

jmarkoa Guest

The 2 strip-it parts ARE done at the same time. The first screen strips the various audios and subtitles. The next strips unwanted VOB-IDs for unwanted video stuff(like menus). Some people don't strip them by not checking the StripVOB-IDs box(snowface). This leaves "extra stuff" in with the movie. When looking at the various Program chains in the descriptions box in IFOEdit, the first line(of the PGC) shows what VOB-IDs belong to what. If you have more than 1 PGC, there is more "stuff" to be cut out to make your file smaller. You only need to keep the VOB-IDs for the movie. The movie is going to be the largest PGC.

From the screenshot you showed, it looks like everything went fine and you shrunk your movie to about 3.5GB. Did you open IFOEdit again with THIS NEW folder and "get VTS"?

Once you burn the entire folder to a DVD,(I never use an AUDIO_TS folder because my DVD player doesn't require it) you can put it in your DVD drive on the computer and it should play just like any other DVD. If it does, you've done everything right!!

18. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest

What about the VIDEO_TS.VOB file ...I have done everything as I was told and still nothing...I will try again ..This will be my 8th attempt...I so close to giving in and returning my burner

19. jmarkoa

jmarkoa Guest

You don't need it. I'm assuming you're talking about the VIDEO_TS_VOB from the original movie. Tell me how far you have already got.

20. BlakBeard

BlakBeard Guest