1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ilo DVDR04 Needs new drive!

Discussion in 'DVD recorders' started by scd, Mar 31, 2008.

1. scd

scd Member

Hi Folks,

Well, it FINALLY HAPPENED! The drive in my Ilo DVDR) took a crap and now I need to replace it. Does ANYONE here know where or how to go about doing this? Where can I get a replacement drive for it? I've done some searching in Google and I can't pin down any drive model numbers for the replacement.

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Scd

2. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Take a look at these sites. They have a wealth of info on the drives for the liteon/ilo. They have stickys and other info with pictures and the drives to use for full function and those that work but hang with Fast Forward..

REMEMBER
    Any info on the liteon is relative to the il04 series as they are liteon but use + disks only
    http://www.techolio.com/

http://www.normediasolutions.com/portfolio/

If looking at a hack ---[OR FOR FIRMWARE]
    http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/

Drives for full function. --- [1693s or below are getting very hard to get ebay has them at times] Get a new one if you can

I have 11 liteon /ilo units including the R04. All have replaced drives.

EDIT
    The 04 can be converted to a liteon 5005x and will have the allwrite ability but no hack It can than be converted back and forth at any time. The firmware to do this is at the last site given.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2008
  3. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

read below

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  4. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

when you replace this you will have to get a 16 speed dual layer. it will not work with 8 or 20 speed. mine went out on me there is to much heat inside the ilo that it burns up the recorder.if you can't find a replacement just get a 16 speed duel layer kind that go's in pc's you can pick up one cheap. i just cut me a slit on top of the ilo so my strap and power cord from the back of the dvd recorder could come out back and my dvd recorder set on top of ilo to keep it cool or you will probably have to replace it again real soon but thats up to you the reson you have to use a dual layer is because i used a plain 16 speed with out dual layer it will freeze up when you fast forward it with the dual layer it did not freeze up and records and plays fine

5. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

its worth fixing

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2008
  6. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

scd

First ---- Read the threads on the sites I gave above

A replacement drive that will work on all functions is given at them. Mainly it is one that is an older unit up to 16993s and could be a 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x.

The unit is internally limited to a max. burn speed of 2x and a copy of 4x and the liteon/ilo and other liteon clones will not burn or copy any faster with any speed drive. They will not burn a double layer disk even if the drive used Will.

The ilo units had originally a DDW 451s and a DDw 813s drive , these drives were found only in a liteon/ilo standalone recorder

I have two ilo R04 units with SHOW 832s drives and work fine I have replaced over thirty liteon ilo units DVD drives. – Elevan were mine the others for friends
    They will fit inside the case but many have placed the drives outside the case . It would be the users choice

Second
    Read the posts on the sites given

If FF is not an isue in your use. There are a number of drives that will work and be recognized by the unit but there is NO Fast Forward Gutting or Cannibalizing a drive is not recommended

Third
    Check those sites given There are many including myself that have been working with the ilo or liteon units for many years.
    Don’t install any Firmware unless it came from
    http://www.ncc2315.com/ilo/

The liteon/ilo is worth some effort to fix

Note that many drrives that do not permit a FF function will do so on commercial disks but wll function on FF when using a disk burned in the ilo or many other units

Last edited: May 5, 2008
  7. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

i have the same model that he has i know what im talking about i went thorgh 5 of them they do not have enough air inside of them, the dvd recorder gets over heated and burns them up. i have put 4, 8, 16, and 20 speed in mine and only a dual layer 16 speed will work right if he won'ts to waste his time and money then thats up to him but like i said i have gotten 5 of them from wal mart and it would have been 6 but my warranty ran out so i had to fix the last one my self

8. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

also i know the ilo will not recored dual layer, i just had a new dual layer laying around and it fixed the fast forward from frezzing up it has nothing to do with the recording. a 4 speed is to slow will nt do any thing 8 speed records a few seconds then stops then starts again then keeps doing the same thing over and over and like i said the new 16 speed i had frozze the ilo up when fast forwarding had to restart ilo changed it out with new dual layer 16 speed works to this day, works longer then any of my other 5 did but like i said it might have just been that one singal layer 16 speed, besides it dont cost any more for a dual layer then with out one and a 20 speed will not work at all its to fast.i bought it for a older computer same thing there will not work in older computer.

9. scd

scd Member

Hi All,

I've not fixed the unit yet because I can't find a drive to work in it. I had ordered one I THOUGHT would work but when I received the order it was NOT what I had ordered and it was sent back. Since then the unit is just sitting here collecting dust. I did find another unit on ebay which my buddy purchased that has never been touched, so once he received it we ran the mods and BINGO, he's in business. (So to speak) The only problem is that MY UNIT is still DOA here. I'm wondering if there are any other NEW units out there that can be modified like the Ilo could be? Since finding parts for the Ilo is so difficult I think I might be better off finding a newer unit that can have the mods done to it if possible.

Any how, that's where this hole thing stands at this point. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions.

10. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

scd

If you say the llo will not work and you can not find a proper replacement drive

PM me and I would buy it for parts

Last edited: May 11, 2008
  11. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

i replaced my dvd recorder with a lg (life's good) 16x interal super muti dvd/cd rewriter 16x dvd+r 8x dvd+rw 6x dv-rw 12x dvd-ram 16x dvd-rom 10x dvd+r dl 6x dvd-r dl

12. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

its worth fixing

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008
  13. LCSHG

LCSHG Regular member

Why is it being sais that the only drive that will work is is a 16x Dual Layer.

Ijust replaced the drives in two R04 units and two liteon 5005 units

With a liteon 832s [8x] drive both the R04 and 5005 work perfect on All Functionsand play 16x
    Either unit willnot burn DL or fasrer with any speed drive.

On ebay there is listed a liteon 1635 drive as NEW
    This drive if working and as listed should work ok work on all functions.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Liteon-SHW-1635...ryZ51065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited: May 16, 2008
  14. rjp5765

rjp5765 Guest

as i said before the dual layer has nothing to do with the burning it had to do with my fast forward from freezing up #1 8speed disks are becoming out of date like i said i tride a 8 speed lite-on it would recored then stop then start up again then stop. the same way with playing if you are using a lite on that go's inside like the one that came out of it, it may work i am talking about a pc type. because if you put that back inside it will burn out again because the fan is not big enough they should have put a bigger fan in it and put more holes in it.a 12 speed and the 18 speed may work, i have not trid them. but then i gave you every thing my box said on mine on this page.i have said all i got to say on this. thats how they worked for me. i am am not gonning to get in to a debate over this use what you got, and i will use what i got and let the other people use what they won't it's there money if it works then it works. goodbuy