1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Upconverter still transmitting 480p... why?

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by {TKO}, Apr 6, 2008.

1. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I just bought a Pioneer DV-400V.

Unfortunately, my TV does NOT have HDMI, but I got some Monster HDMI to DVI cables. I connected it, moved the entertainment center back, popped in a movie, and it looked the same. So I checked the info on my TV and it says that the source video is 720x480.

When I tried changing the video output setting to 720 or 1080, I get sound but no video. The only thing I can figure is that the HDMI to DVI somehow inhibits the signal and I need to go straight HDMI in order to get 720 or 1080...? Maybe?

Please advise.

2. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

You did this on the dvd player? Some upscalers will only upscale over HDMI.

Maybe some HDCP issues? Try using a set of component cables to see what happens.

Does the dvd player give you any indication on what signal is being output?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2008
  3. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I thought of that exact thing. I tried the component cables and it won't upconvert either. It doesn't even give the option. And besides for some stupid reason, my TV takes a dump with component cables. S-Video looks better than component.

And yes the choices for upconverting were through the HDMI settings only.

It's driving me nuts.

4. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Sounds like it only works when using HDMI.

5. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

DARN! So I guess I'm gonna have to go out and get a new TV. I have the worst luck.

6. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Who knows, but from what I read on that site I quoted earlier, looks like it only works over HDMI.

7. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

I can't find anything that specifies if anything is lost or changed with HDMI to DVI ables though. But I guess that's the only thing it could be.

I'm gonna see if maybe I get a response to my email to Pioneer and maybe they can explain it.

Thanx.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2008
  8. goodswipe

goodswipe Guest

Good luck and let me know what they tell you.

9. {TKO}

{TKO} Regular member

So Pioneer finally got back to me through email. I had to call the Customer Support line, because they couldn't answer my question via email.

So, I called and talked to a rep. I start telling him the issue and before I finish my sentence, he cuts me off and says it won't work. So just to make sure, I ask the same question in a different way.

It turns out that DVI will not transmit the signal properly and will not allow the DVD player to upconvert.

Damn! So now I have to go out and get a newer, bigger TV with HDMI ports.