AfterDawn Forums

Disc Unreadable on burned 360 games - any help?

This discussion thread has 21 messages.

Ive Burned a few 360 games (using the guides found on this site, which were all helpful) - but the only problem i am having is that the discs give me an "unreadable error".

The 360 console has been modded with extreme firmware (not exactly sure which version though) and its an hitachi drive.

ive used AONE DVD+R DL Disc for 1 game and Verbatim DVD+R DL Disc for another game, both burned using IMGBurn with latest programs and drivers, games were burned on a DELL Laptop booktype can't be set however it says "DVD-ROM" when i insert the disc back into the laptop.

both games take a few seconds to load and both come up with the "disc is unreadable, please clean the disc" error (even though the discs are spotless).

However on the verbatim disc it did install an update for the game, than afterwards came up "disc is unreadable", so im obviously doing something right (somewhere?) any thoughts would be great!
▼▼ This topic has 20 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
The first one seems like its the disk.

The Verbatim that did the upload sounds like you messed up somewhere either in ripping or burning the original game.

MD2000GT Suspended due non-functional email address
How are you making the back ups? Downloading or ripping? If your ripping are you using the samsung drive with kreon firmware or are you using the hotswap method with wxripper?
games downloaded from a dedicated xbox torrent site (even though one of them i ended up buying the original game LOL) all 3 games came with .dvd files (and were under 50bytes), layer break was set at the correct rate, burn settings at 2x - 2.4x, verified settings off.

burned all 3 games using different programs (clonecd and imgburn) and using verbatim discs (apart from the a few aone discs).

do have to mention that after "ejecting and re-inserting" the disc in the xbox 360 , the 360 read it as a audio cd? (only once).

trying to get hold of one of my friends 360 games (copys) to see if it works.
it really should be a simple process:

1. open newest version of IMGburn
2. go to mode and select write
3. now browse for and select the .DVD file you just made (or aquired)
4. Select your burning speed (i like 4X), and booktype the media to DVD-Rom if your burner can booktype hopefully it can because booktyping rteally helps with compatibility)
5. hit start and burn it.

That is really all there should be to it. Also are you stealth checking these ISO files before you try to burn them? The newer firmware will not play them if they are not stealth.

Originally posted by steimy:
it really should be a simple process:

1. open newest version of IMGburn
2. go to mode and select write
3. now browse for and select the .DVD file you just made (or aquired)
4. Select your burning speed (i like 4X), and booktype the media to DVD-Rom if your burner can booktype hopefully it can because booktyping rteally helps with compatibility)
5. hit start and burn it.

That is really all there should be to it. Also are you stealth checking these ISO files before you try to burn them? The newer firmware will not play them if they are not stealth.

Yep tried that - still not working =( (my laptops dvd drive cant be booktyped, but the output says DVD-ROM and i burn the games at 2 - 2.4x speed, since maxium is 4x). but they are only things that are different.
i am having the same problem now.
It sounds like your firmware is the issue to me. Do you have the latest firmware? Have you tried a disc that was burned on a different burner? Did you use the xdvdmulleter program to make sure your games had all the security and stealth files inserted? If you have the latest firmware, the game must have all the security and stealth files inserted or it will not run. Truthfully, there could be so many different things causing your issues that you will have to do some sniffing and tell us what comes up.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Oct 2008 @ 22:25
I am not sure if I would say that the firmware is causing the problems... quite yet. You have no way of finding out what version you are using?

Also, stick to only using verbatims. The cheaper media will either result in bad burns or if it does work, it will strain your laser.

Also, is there anyone else that has a flashed console that you can test the games on to see if they work?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Oct 2008 @ 23:47

need jtag help? Xbox 360 console repair? PM me or chat
Originally posted by guessswho:
I am not sure if I would say that the firmware is causing the problems... quite yet. You have no way of finding out what version you are using?

Also, stick to only using verbatims. The cheaper media will either result in bad burns or if it does work, it will strain your laser.

Also, is there anyone else that has a flashed console that you can test the games on to see if they work?
yes my previous xbox 360 played every single backups fine. just this new xbox 360 i traded is givng me this problem. i really dont think it's the disc or the media because i used the verbatim. i really think it's the lazer because it makes grinding sounds and the lazer is proabbly dirty.
Johncc and Goku185 I'm having the same exact problem with a friend of mine's xbox. He had one of the original 360's released, with the old hitachi 47 drive. We successfully flashed it with xtreme 1.4 firmware, but we have the same problem that is being described here (a funky grinding sound when trying to read the discs, and it ends up just saying 'unreadable disc'). I have a newer xbox with the BenQ drive flashed with the xtreme 1.4 as well, they're both set to 12x read speeds, all of my discs have been burnt on verbatim at 2x, and they all played perfectly fine on my xbox. Do hitachi drives have a better success rate with a different blank dvd media? I've always had awesome luck with verbatim.
Originally posted by 3thereal:
Johncc and Goku185 I'm having the same exact problem with a friend of mine's xbox. He had one of the original 360's released, with the old hitachi 47 drive. We successfully flashed it with xtreme 1.4 firmware, but we have the same problem that is being described here (a funky grinding sound when trying to read the discs, and it ends up just saying 'unreadable disc'). I have a newer xbox with the BenQ drive flashed with the xtreme 1.4 as well, they're both set to 12x read speeds, all of my discs have been burnt on verbatim at 2x, and they all played perfectly fine on my xbox. Do hitachi drives have a better success rate with a different blank dvd media? I've always had awesome luck with verbatim.
I do want to add that we also tried flashing it with slower read speeds and that did not help at all.
did the problem happened after u flashed your xbox 360 with extreme 1.40 or it was like that also before?

i am kinda confused if the dvd drive is probably old or wore out. or the problem is caused due to extreme 1.40 modding.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Oct 2008 @ 15:49
Originally posted by johncchc:
did the problem happened after u flashed your xbox 360 with extreme 1.40 or it was like that also before?
Not sure if you were talking to me? If so, then no, this is the first time we flashed his xbox, so there was no previous experience to base it off of.
I'm not sure if this will help but I've worked on a couple of dvd drives where the owner used a butter knife to pry the drive tray open.

On one the rubber cable came off and disk tray got off track. It was making the loud grinding noise and not reading games. The fix was putting the tray back on track and reconnecting the rubber cable.

On the second I noticed that the laser assembly wasn't going all the way up when you used the eject button or open/close tray option through the dashboard. This one had two of the teeth broken off of the bottom gear assembly and wasn't able to get the laser up where it needed to be one the tray closed. The cheap fix which is what the owner requested was that the tray be manually closed with enough momentum to make the laser assembly pop up where it needed to be.

I don't know if that helps anyone out or not but hopefully most people on here are not using silverware on their 360's

XBOX Halo Ed. = DuoX2 w/250gb HD
Xbox 360 Red Elite 120GB HDD = no-stealth 1.6 & XBReboot V3 & 1TB usb hdd
PS2 Slim = freemcboot v1.8 - PSP Black Slim = 5.00m33-6
Wii = w/ Blue XCM ii-case, Wiikey2 & softmodded
Not sure if you were talking to me? If so, then no, this is the first time we flashed his xbox, so there was no previous experience to base it off of.
so the xbox he got was second handed and he modded it after he bought it?
Originally posted by CopperKid:
I'm not sure if this will help but I've worked on a couple of dvd drives where the owner used a butter knife to pry the drive tray open.

On one the rubber cable came off and disk tray got off track. It was making the loud grinding noise and not reading games. The fix was putting the tray back on track and reconnecting the rubber cable.

On the second I noticed that the laser assembly wasn't going all the way up when you used the eject button or open/close tray option through the dashboard. This one had two of the teeth broken off of the bottom gear assembly and wasn't able to get the laser up where it needed to be one the tray closed. The cheap fix which is what the owner requested was that the tray be manually closed with enough momentum to make the laser assembly pop up where it needed to be.

I don't know if that helps anyone out or not but hopefully most people on here are not using silverware on their 360's
Hahah no we did not use silverware. I think these problems would be the case if our drive didn't read ANY games, but it does still read retail xbox360 discs with no problem.
D'oh! I missed that they still played retail games! <- Fail

XBOX Halo Ed. = DuoX2 w/250gb HD
Xbox 360 Red Elite 120GB HDD = no-stealth 1.6 & XBReboot V3 & 1TB usb hdd
PS2 Slim = freemcboot v1.8 - PSP Black Slim = 5.00m33-6
Wii = w/ Blue XCM ii-case, Wiikey2 & softmodded
so the xbox he got was second handed and he modded it after he bought it?
I'm not sure what you're asking or why it matters. Like I said, he bought his xbox retail when the 360's first came out - years ago. We just tried modding it yesterday because he's been deployed for 3 years.
i want to know if the problem persist even before he modded his xbox 360. because u said that his xbox 360 makes the grinding sound after u modded his xbox 360 with extreme 1.40. i just wnt to know if after u modded, thats when the probelm occurred.
It's an error specific to the hitachi drive:(source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xbox_360_technical_problems)
Unplayable Disc Error

The "Unplayable Disc" error has also been heavily reported. The error appears to be limited to the Hitachi CD/DVD ROM drives that replaced the earlier Toshiba drives. The error message is preceded by a loud series of grinding noises and the system returning to the dashboard. From that point forward, any disc that is put in the unit will result in the "Unplayable Disc" error. In the majority of cases, this error is caused by the adhesive that holds a small magnetic washer heating up and allowing the washer to affix its self to the metal top of the drive. After this occurs, the system can no longer spin the disk as necessary. Numerous fixes are available on the internet, but all involve opening the console box. Opening the console will result in the unit's warranty being voided.[79] Microsoft will fix the error for a fee. Included in the repair fee is one additional year of warranty coverage. [80] [81]
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.