1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maxtor one touch 4 mini - USB device Not recognized

Discussion in 'Windows - General discussion' started by badsam, Apr 12, 2008.

1. badsam

badsam Member

Hello, I just bought an external hard drive (Maxtor One Touch 4Mini 120 GB). I first connected it to my pc, installed the software which was present on the drive, it worked fine. 2nd time i was trying to connect the drive, An error was displayed: "USB device Not Recognized- one of the usb devices has malfunctioned....". Tried to connect it to another port, reinstall usb driver, enable-disable, Bios update, but that was no good, except it worked fine on my labtop (XP pro) as the PC (XP Pro SP2). I formatted C and re-installed windows, but still it wasn't recognized. The drive is not detected in Device Manager as well. I don't know what's wrong. Help would be appreciated. Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. jefferell

jefferell Member

I had the exact same issue with my MAXTOR onetouch mini usb drive. Kept giving me the dreaded Drive not recognized. I was about to try opening it and putting it in a new enclosure when I decided to try another USB cable I had laying around.

It FIXED IT.

So make sure to try a new cable before you get to frusterated. I wasted quite a bit of time. Now i am junking that Dual USB cable that came with it and just using my Single USB connection cable that came with my MP3 player as it works with no issues for me.

3. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

Thank you for your input. I tried that already. I took it to a local computer guy and He could not retrieve the data. I still have the drive hoping for a miracle. ;=)

4. cmaldona

cmaldona Regular member

Disregard my comment. I got confused with my own posting. ;=)