1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

flashing MSI HD3870 bios?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by redZoneOS, Apr 21, 2008.

1. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

hey I have this video card but the fan is always on and apparently a bios update corrects this issue... I've never flashed a video card bios, and want to make sure I do it properly, anyone have experience?

I tried web searches but there aren't any quality instructions that I could find.

exact model is MSI RX3870 OC edition (T2D512E)

Thanks.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If it uses the stock 3870 cooler then the fix will not turn the fan off when not needed, but it will increase the speed of it when it is. As for a custom cooler though, I'm not sure of the impact. If you want to make your video card silent, you'll really need a new cooler like a Thermalright HR-03GT.

3. redZoneOS

redZoneOS Regular member

Sam,
    thanks but if you check out the MSI RX3870 OC edition reviews on newegg, the vast majority say the fan stays at 80% ALL the time... I went to MSI website and found the same problem in their FAQ and they said a new BIOS fixed the problem... that's why I posted on here :)

anyway, I did manage to get assistance and was provided a link that gives you details about how to flash GPU bios. I have copied it below, in case others have the same problem, or are curious!

*** Flashing the bios DID help immensely... Before the flash, I could hear my computer from outside my bedroom with doors closed (No exaggeration)... now, it's completely quiet and I can barely hear it while I type! :)

on a side note, don't you have the same video card by MSI?? interesting if yours isn't loud, because almost everyone on newegg complains about... and I had the same problem.

bios flash

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I have two 3870s, but neither are MSI. The fan speed is if anything too low.