1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unicron eeprom reader without PCB

Discussion in 'Xbox - Hardware boot discussion' started by SteTravis, May 8, 2008.

1. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

Hello

I now have all the components to build a reader except PCB
    instead of waiting another 2 weeks to buy off ebay i just need to clarify the layout of the circuit im not sure if editing UNICRONS original image to show you wether my understanding is correct is an infringement or not! if so please forgive me.

[​IMG]

2. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

I have removed two resistors from an old PSU
    colours are Orange, White, Red, Gold. i believe them to be 3.9k ohm

also have just purchased two from a TV repair shop i was told they are 3.9k 1watt

Does any of this info sound acceptable varnull said my zeners are perfect.

My soldering iron is 40W / 5 core flux

I have 2 serial cables 1 dissmantled to expose the rear terminals
    i would have just cut the wires but im unsure as to which wires goes where.

if i have made any mistakes in the construction of the reader without a PCB if someone could please design an easy to understand diagram, explaining what, where i solder the wires from the back of the serial through the components and the in/outs to the xbox lpc header.

sorry for wittering on i would like to make sure all is clear, so i dont destroy 2 xboxes

i bought splinter cell for 99p i still dont have a memory card, but im going to risk again a hotswap to get the SC exploit into the UDATA i think!

3. varnull

varnull Guest

Hold the plug from the serial cable with the solder points towards you. Then it's just follow the diagram. (Mike didn't explain that very clearly I know.. I will ask him to amend the guide when I next speak to him)

Before connecting everything to the eeprom have a quick scrounge of a multimeter (maybe tv shop man will help out) and just check that the scl and sda lines don't go above +/-5v with reference to ground.

::hint:: tape the components down onto a piece of card or something to stop them moving about and possibly shorting out. Hold the wires of the zeners with pliers while soldering to act as a heatsink.. they are very heat sensitive and can be damaged with the heat from soldering. (us old timers can tack these things together faster than you could believe possible and can usually get away with it without.. not so experienced?.. grip the wire with pliers)

If it all checks out you are good to go ;) Happy reading...

ps.. your local tv shop man might be interested in this project.. They store the pin numbers for locking tv's and dvd recorders in eeproms as well ;)

4. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

So does that mean the wiring is correct its actually pin 5 green/ground wire after the diodes im not sure does that connect to both zeners after the resistors? then a seperate wire from the same point GND to lpc header.

[​IMG]

heres an image if you/someone could please edit this to show me the solder points more clearly.

5. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

I do have a multimeter but i dont understand it!

6. varnull

varnull Guest

Yes.. or you could breadboard it up actually on the plug by connecting the zeners direct to pin5, then running a wire to gnd from the same pin. ;)

7. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

8. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

im going to construct this later one more question about the above image the LPC header is the SCL GND SDA wires going to the header colours, do i need to solder them?

9. varnull

varnull Guest

Up to you... you could use a few sewing pins or similar to make the connections, but make sure they don't touch each other. One connection is to a pad rather than a hole.. I would tack it on with a touch of the iron.

If the board you are reading boots properly you shouldn't have too much trouble, but if it is red lights or frag I would use the external 3v supply. Watch out for the psu.. the metal heatsink has raw mains on it, as do lots of other psu components. BE CAREFUL.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2008
  10. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

Hi i did try and build this and whenever i attach the SCL GND SDA to the header the xbox flashes orange, if its not connected it boots to error code 7

i am rebuilding it again i have been careful not to touch the zeners with the iron.

im also unsure about serial com port there are some irq settings for it in bios.

ill try again and tell you the outcome.

11. varnull

varnull Guest

Use the external 3v supply as outlined. Then you need no connection to power for the xbox at all. (I just tape a couple of batteries together and tape wires to the end of them... usually pinch the ones from my tv remote for the few minutes I need them..

As for bios settings... sorry.. All are different so I can't advise. Mike scans his tut thread every week or so.. Pop a question about serial port settings on the end of that (or better still pm him and say jan sent you ;)
    I will grab him next time I see him online.. last seen 24 days ago hmmm.. he's done one of his vanishing acts again XD

12. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

I have 2 1.5V rechargable batteries, or a 9V square i dont have a clue where to connect the +/- terminals in the circuit?

oh by the way 1 box is now flashing red ring? "is it dead"
    i was going to offer £10 for the reader on ebay but its gone, although i dont know if my reader works or not! i think when i do work out how to attach an external power supply im going to attach a small amount of solder to the wires before i solder them to the xbox mobo.

13. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

Hi

i got a successful read i connected the GND to the metal shell in the xbox booted and then connected the SDA SCL
    although i cant check my eeprom because LiveInfo_Beta_3-Xbox_v1.6-Yoshihiro wont read my 1.4 xbox?

is there anyway i can read it or should i just trust its right and use xbox hdm to unlock and repair the drive.

14. varnull

varnull Guest

It should read it.....

Does it look right? If it will unlock the drive when using xboxhdm then it must be ;)

Spoke to mike the other night.. He's real busy with other things right now.
    I use inbuilt i2c tools that come with linux.. so I don't actually go down this road very often.

Give it a go and see what happens.

15. SteTravis

SteTravis Guest

1 Xbox fixed, i have also used xplorer 360 and dragged and dropped krazies splinter cell exploit. to UDATA so i should be able to softmod now without buying a memory card.

thanks for all your help varnull

my other xbox has a flashing red ring on boot even after i wrote and locked a new drive maybe hardware failure? ill leave that one for another day.

16. varnull

varnull Guest

Last edited by a moderator: May 12, 2008