AfterDawn: Tech news

Microsoft may implement copyright cops into every Zune

Written by Dave Horvath @ 08 May 2008 1:42 User comments (28)

Microsoft may implement copyright cops into every Zune In response to Microsoft's latest dealings with NBC, it appears that the Redmond based company may be implementing a piece of software on their Zune devices that actively searches on whether or not television shows are legally purchased. If said software discovers that the show was downloaded illegally from a torrent or other P2P type network, it will not play in the Zune.
The copyright package is hasn't been developed yet, but talks between NBC and Microsoft show that they definitely want some type of policing software to guard against illegally obtained episodes of their shows. Regardless of the fact that those shows, obtained from cable and satellite companies, have already been purchased by the consumer through their contract with the respective provider. NBC would like its consumers to pay twice for the same show.

J. B. Perrette, the president of digital distribution for NBC Universal stated that their plan is to create "filtering technology that allows for playback of legitimately purchased content versus non-legitimately purchased content."

A spokesman for Microsoft, declined to discuss details of this effort other than to say that the software company is exploring anti-piracy measures with NBC. He said Microsoft, which suffers from its own piracy problems, is sympathetic to Hollywood’s concerns.

Previous Next  

28 user comments

18.5.2008 14:20

Yet another example of the infinite greed of the entertainment industry.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 May 2008 @ 2:33

28.5.2008 14:27
varnull
Inactive

Kiss goodbye to the Zune... long live the Chipod!!
Seriously.. do you know anybody who has bought one??? I haven't managed to find a shop that has one so I can take a look.. I might have thought about buying one until today.

hahaha kiss ... nicely linked to another great example of the old, pointless and greedy.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 May 2008 @ 3:17

38.5.2008 14:33
nobrainer
Inactive

M$ bending over for the entertainment industry again, you'd though that m$ would have learnt from the failure of vista that ppl don't want rampant anti-consumer DRM.

48.5.2008 14:36

Originally posted by nobrainer:
M$ bending over for the entertainment industry again, you'd though that m$ would have learnt from the failure of vista that ppl don't want rampant anti-consumer DRM.

The only thing M$ learned from the failure of Vista was to pull the plug on Xp this June.

58.5.2008 15:13
jony218
Inactive

The ZUNE wasn't selling too well to began with. This obviously won't be good for it's future.

RIP ZUNEplayer, we barely got to know you.

68.5.2008 15:17

Originally posted by jony218:
Quote:
The ZUNE wasn't selling too well to began with. This obviously won't be good for it's future

Does this mean the marketing people were not consulted ??

RIP ZUNEplayer, we barely got to know you.

78.5.2008 17:49

ahh what is Zune?

Is that anything like web-tv or vista? Oh, thats right Vista is selling well, except a good chunk of those "Vista" sales are actually XP. With all these great ideas, in 10, 20 years Microsoft will be what Atari is today.

88.5.2008 20:18

As varnull said, this will be a Zune killer. Greedy media companies strike again.

98.5.2008 20:27

so what would happen if i ripped video from my legally bought tv dvds? lemme guess, that won't work either. whatever to our right to fair-use?

108.5.2008 20:42

WTF does MS care what I put on my Zune? Not that I have one, and I certainly wouldn't entertain the idea now! Since when is it the hardware maker's job to enforce some other company's DRM at the cost of the end user of the product? I'll stick with my iPod and Zen vision W that plays everything I throw at it!

119.5.2008 01:58

You're witnessing history folks.
The Zune just became the LaserDisc of the new century.

129.5.2008 08:51

Well, if you read the article a little closer it's NBC thats wanting this not Zune. Yes, MS is a money hoarding company but they are not the ones pushing for this. They just want NBC's busness. And the zune is actually a really nice device, I've had mine for 6 months now and love it. I do believe it's start to fall to the way side though. Apple just has to much of a hold on the industry for zune to compete with them. Hell, apple convinced target to pull the zune off their shelves.
Anyway, like I said NBC is the one pushing for this. And right now this is just in the negotion stage, who knows what the true out come will be.

139.5.2008 11:16

All I have to say is good luck selling this piece of junk. I give MS 6 months before closing shop and I'm sure their Executives will be scratching their heads wondering what went wrong.

149.5.2008 13:30

MS pushed me to far with thier DRM crap on vista, would not accept vista if you gave it to me for free, MS is gonna do it again with Zune cause they want NBC's bussines, greed with all scrupples out the window.

159.5.2008 15:45
RNR1995
Inactive

THIS IS THE KEY STATEMANT "Regardless of the fact that those shows, obtained from cable and satellite companies, have already been purchased by the consumer through their contract with the respective provider. NBC would like its consumers to pay twice for the same show."
This is what they all want, this is what the RIAA say's your doing when you copy one of YOUR cd's to YOUR Ipod

169.5.2008 15:57
nobrainer
Inactive

Originally posted by RNR1995:
THIS IS THE KEY STATEMANT "Regardless of the fact that those shows, obtained from cable and satellite companies, have already been purchased by the consumer through their contract with the respective provider. NBC would like its consumers to pay twice for the same show."
This is what they all want, this is what the RIAA say's your doing when you copy one of YOUR cd's to YOUR Ipod
it is and thats what they want, to be paid every time you move your own media.

Sony BMG's chief anti-piracy lawyer: "Copying" music you own is "stealing"
Originally posted by link:
"When an individual makes a copy of a song for himself, I suppose we can say he stole a song." Making "a copy" of a purchased song is just "a nice way of saying 'steals just one copy'," she said.
iPod tax: UK music biz open to format shifting... for a fee
Early this year, the BPI again said all the right things about format shifting, but we noted that the Association of Independent Music was making noises; apparently, the group wanted to get paid whenever music was transferred from a CD to a portable device.
@ FredBun

btw vista DRM was forced onto m$ by the MPAA using the DMCA

Why Microsoft Sold Out Consumers in Vista
Today, the PC industry needs Hollywood more than Hollywood needs the PC. Most consumers rely on traditional consumer electronics devices to view DVDs and TV content, but companies like Microsoft are betting on the converged digital home and desperately want a bigger piece of the media device market. Because of the DMCA, Microsoft has to get permission to build devices compatible with Hollywood's DRMed content. So when Hollywood demanded that Microsoft lard Vista with restrictions to access high-def DVD and digital cable content, the software giant was in a weak bargaining position.
the only thing that will stop these anti-consumer pigs is to boycott the RIAA, BPI, IFPI, MPAA ect, well the companies in my sig!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 May 2008 @ 3:58

179.5.2008 16:24
RNR1995
Inactive

Great info
thank you

189.5.2008 19:17
fgamer
Inactive

And I actually was considering getting a Zune, I definately wont be getting one now. Screw you Microsoft, take your DRM infested Zune and shove it up your arse!!

199.5.2008 22:36

nobrainer, btw vista DRM was forced onto m$ by the MPAA using the DMCA.

I cannot argue about this because I do not know all the specifics, I also am no where near tech savvy, not even close, I read a lot and try to understand things best I can, many times it's still very difficult to interpet computer language, e.g. many people complain about vista, from what I read in many sites and forums excluding AD, at AD members protest more than most cause AD personel know more than most, but I would say that from what I read 98% that complain of vista complain about all the other issues other than the drm issue of vista, sure I hate most things about vista but to me the number one complaint is the drm issue.

I do not consider myself a pirate, even though the law would call me one cause I will not let anybody stop me from making a copy of something I already bought as a back up,I do not sell it, nor lend it outside my household, some that have kids might understand, I got tired having my kids ruin my store bought dvd's and cd's, got smart and made back-up's, so kids if you want to play I dont give a damn how I handle Dad's stuff do it with my copy.

So than I learned that with vista you cant make a copy anymore, oh I'm sure all the geeks out there know how to bypass it no matter what they are using, except I'm not a geek, I don't know how, so it's xp for me till the end.

And as far as M$ bieng forced, were they forced to accept drm by law, or were they afraid of the big guns of the music and movie moguls, because if it's the ladder, than I say again, greed, no scrupples, and most of all, NO BALLS.

2012.5.2008 08:06

varnull, I bought one for my son. You actually, bought a Chipod that lived more than a month? I do like the concept of the no hidded agendas with the Chipod. The Zune I bought was a 30 G for $80 (delivered). That was a great deal no matter how evil their software is.

The hardware is great but the software sucks the big one. The screen is a bit bigger than the ipod's and the player looks and feels real solid. Microsoft slaved long and hard to insure the Zune software would make that moronic application, tunes, look good. They succeded in making the foulest software I ever used. Every time I use the software I wish I bought something else. Every time you sync it you have to fight with it. I wisely had my son install it on his computer that has no internet access. It does not want to sync without connecting with the 'mothership'. I claims it wants to sync its clock, so it can time out tunes with a time experation. Of course he has non of those. I suspect it has an agent of darkenss buried in the software. I am sure there are more tricks up its sleave than they let on.

Fortunatly, the software was written by morons as all Microsoft products, anyone with a little brains can get around their evil intent easily. You can also hack the Zune so you can sync with 3rd pary software but that requires too much effort for me since it must be hacked for every sync. Since the agents of evil has never been activated, he can play what ever he wants.

2112.5.2008 08:45

Ok I'm a zune owner. After hearing about the DRM thing I started hunting and trying to finger out the truth behind all this. Last night after about 3 hours worth of work and news report reading, and 2 virus attacks I have "heard" from a zune insider that there will NOT be a DRM police on a zune update. Intial reports did say that is what NBC wanted, but so far zune is saying no. When I get back home tonight I will see if I can post some of the info I found. I know this topic isn't as popular as some of the others but I hate people messing with stuff I own (NBC/Zune) Sorry, but last night I was to tired, and virus' were bugging me. Hopefully tonight though I will be able to update all of you on my findings.(depends how happy hour goes if I get it posted tonight or not)
LD

2212.5.2008 09:49

lawndog, thanks for the real news. However, try syncing your Zune with the internet shut down and see what happens. Maybe the Zune was only trying to update its clock maybe not. I do not trust Microsoft at all. I have turned off automatic updates after is screwed with my software. I fear Microsoft more than hackers.

2312.5.2008 21:52

If they are getting in bed with NBC, that sucks. That's OK, I barely watch NBC's programming anyway. They are also not getting into DRM as far as music. All of my stuff is my own fair-use and it all works.

People harsh on the Zune, but it is an excellent hardware platform. Better than most in video quality, and the sound is phenomenal. I've had my Zune since Christmas. It is a great device and had no problems with it playing what I want. Wireless sync is pretty great to have.

Software isn't exactly what I want, but they have obviously been battling back and forth with MS marketing in their efforts.

Otherwise they would have left features alone. New release supposedly is putting back in features that were taken out two/three versions ago (5 star ratings, intelligent playlist, better sorts)

You MUST turn off automatic updates to your music data as when Zune and Media Player start updating your metadata information automatically, it can make a real mess out of stuff.

Not an MS fanboy, I just like the Zune I got. Better sound, good video. No complaints here.

Note to Microsoft- Don't mess with my 'Fair-Use' rights and we will get along just fine. My .02. Thanks.

2412.5.2008 21:58
ITOUCHU
Inactive

Quote:
the only thing that will stop these anti-consumer pigs is to boycott the RIAA, BPI, IFPI, MPAA ect, well the companies in my sig!
YA id rather just go with the flow and cough up what dough the corporate pigs ask from me......NOT!

.....but seriously.....getting the zune was a mistake.....

2512.5.2008 22:49

Ok here is what I have been able to gather from web sites.
NBC left apple because they wanted more money for their shows they put on itunes and apple did not want to release a bigger piece of the pie to them.
Now some are saying they also left because of the fact that people could just download it off of a torents site and get it for free. But that is not the primary reason.
From what I have been able to gather the deal is done with zune. Some people are saying that microsoft did say they would "work" on a way to prevent "free" shows from being viewed.
But with a little more digging I have found that alot of websites have come back to that article and added an update stateing that microsoft came out and said it will not be adding the desired drm that everybody is up in arms about.
So inconclusion..........Who knows so far it looks like nbc is soon to be available for zune. And zune will not be adding the drm police in a future update.
Just for FYI NBC is comody central, MTV, and a slew of others.

2612.5.2008 23:25
susieqbbb
Inactive

i find this funny because mac users don't have to worry about this with running windows even see we have a application called meta x which adds the meta data to all video files you can even add a purchase date so i don't see how microsoft could do this they would have to check not only all torrent sites but then they would have to block every metadata editior out there as well.

2713.5.2008 06:56

ITOUCHU, I got my son a 30 G for $80 US. The player is good quality. It is probably better quality than the ipod. I have never heard one complaint against the player. It is the software most people hate. It is a true testamony to the arrogance of Microsoft that they could screw up such a well known technology so utterly complete.

kapkirk, even $25 chipods sound great. That technology was hammered out 30 years ago. All mp3 players are HiFi it is the ear buds that make the difference.

susieqbbb, maybe you can help me. I have a friend who has a Mac and wants to get into digital music. I have serious quality issues with itunes. It down grades high bit rate mp3s to 128 BRs. It down grade them when you play it, when you burn a CD and when you sync your ipod. ipods do not have this defect so if you can get higher BR mp3s on it you get the HiFi sound. I have asked around in the Mac and ipod forums for a Mac program that rips CDs at a higher bit rate than 128 and have not gotten a responce. I have seen 160 BR m4s and I have wondered how they were made. Now I am believing they were ripped on a PC. itunes may not degrade m4as like it does mp3s.

All Microsoft needs to do is check was this video purchased from us. If it was play if not don't play.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 13 May 2008 @ 6:59

2813.5.2008 12:39

HAHA there has always been this DRM in Zune. All that's going to happen is that if you download an NBC show from the Zune Marketplace, it'll have Itunes-like DRM where you can only play the media from the device, or the program.

All other Zune media will not be regulated by DRM, and any music you download from the Zune Marketplace is DRM-free from day 1. and for $14.99/month with unlimited downloads of unprotected music, vs. iTunes' $.99/song that you can only play with the device or program, I wonder which one I will pick? hmm....

Honetsly, I love my Zune. I have 3500 songs and 25 full-length movies on my 30 gig and i've only used %40 of the full space. The Zune software will automatically convert almost any video file on my hard drive to the Zune format (Divx, Xvid, ffdshow, mpeg, etc.), and I can view/sync/play any file on my Zune from any of my computers in my network and my xbox360, wireless.

I haven't even touched my 80gig iPod Video in months. I love how misleading the headline is on this article, though.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive