1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4ohm speakers for Onkyo Sr-304

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by NYCllama, May 8, 2008.

1. NYCllama

NYCllama Member

I just purchased an Onkyo Sr-304 and found my brothers old HTIB speakers(Panasonic) in the basement. I'm trying to save some cash for an upcoming trip which is why I can't little to nothing at the moment.

The speakers I found were 4ohms(unsure of watts), but would it be safe to use on my receiver without damaging the receiver itself?

I'm new to all of this, but I read on the back of the receiver that it said 6ohm impedance. What does that mean?

Last edited: May 8, 2008
  2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

This means that you will work (overtax) the power supply transformer 50% more using 4 ohm speakers than 6 ohm speakers. It is especially true at louder volumes. At extended use with the 4 ohm speakers ( at higher listening levels) it will shorten the life of the receiver. How much, no idea.

3. NYCllama

NYCllama Member

Thanks. So I guess its best that I invest in some speakers that are 6ohms and higher I see.

4. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

6-8 ohms, but no higher as you will not get as much volume output with speakers higher than 8 ohms.

BTW speaker resistance is not static, and goes up and down over the frequency range. So your 4 ohm speakers can go down to below 2 ohms at certain frequencies.

5. NYCllama

NYCllama Member

Thanks. I'm going to buy a pair of these tomorrow, if they sound right,

Assuming its a pair.

6. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

As long as the resistance is correct and they sound good to you (and the price is right) , go for it

Last edited: May 8, 2008