1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nintendo 64 Adaptoid

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by daacekin, May 9, 2008.

1. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

the n64 adaptoid is a very popular and rare piece of hardware (adapter) and went out of production in 2002 and usually sells for around £70 on ebay IF you find one. wishtech (the company) has completed a preorder of about 200 and i missed it. it is the only n64 adapter which supports EVERYTHING a nintendo 64 supports. others just have basics without rumble support. it is being sold at their site at $36/£18. if any one wants it and we can get enough people maybe we can ask for another preorder or something but i would really like one. there is a complete set of roms available for nintendo 64 and a VERY GOOD EMULATOR for n64 too. i think it is the latest console which works best on the pc. it is like having the entire n64 on your pc. but like i said this piece of hardware is rare. if people want it we could perhaps ask for another preorder run or something.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Awesome though this sounds, you'll have to tread lightly here, as it sounds a bit like advertising.

3. shummyr

shummyr Regular member

ThATS vERY cOOL

4. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

yeah i thought i just get straight to the facts and let people know of this piece of hardware but like i said it IS quite popular so i dont think i needed to put in the facts but to stay on the safe side i did :)

their website is adaptoid.com and like i said you can get a complete set of roms then use project64 emulator (the best there is) to list all the roms when you first use it and then choose your game from approximately 2000-3000 roms. including games like zelda ,mario 64 1080 snowboarding and loads more!!! sorry if i STILL sound like advertising :)

(\_/)
    (='.'=) <--- o look! a bunny wabbit! :-D
    (")_(")

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, I used Project64 extensively last year, though we used xbox 360 pads and a wireless PC receiver instead, worked really well. I'm ashamed to say I preferred using the 360 pad for Smash Bros and MarioKart for several reasons, primarily the use of the second analog stick, which I used to replace the C buttons in Smash Bros, and used as the throttle control in Mariokart (a technique I picked up from playing Gran Turismo)

6. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

lol perhaps the xbox360 pad is better but i like to use the traditional n64 original joypad. does the xbox360 joypad have force feedback support
    considering its wireless?

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well no, it can be done, but only if the program that feeds it provides force feedback, and project64 on its own doesn't. That said I much prefer the rumble on more recent controllers like PS2 and Xbox 360 pads than on the N64, it felt a bit slow.

8. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

im fairly new to force feedback and joypads and stuff but i do know that
    you can get ANY joypad to rumble (providing it can) by using n-rages direct input plugin (thats what i use)

http://members.chello.at/n-rage/dinput8/index.html

download that and if you have rumble drivers, hardware etc and only project64 is letting you down then this is what you need.

use that as your input plugin and you'll be on your way. btw do you know the difference between rumble pack, jolt pack and tremor pack?

all i know is tremor is third party and stronger and n64's rumble pack but i don't know about jolt pack.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I had the official N64 rumble and the Jolt Pack. The original one was too slow (more a shake than a vibe) and the Jolt Pack was basically like being electrocuted. I wanted a happy medium! :D

10. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

ok so both the tremor and the jolt are stronger than the rumble so out of the tremor and the jolt...which ones is stronger?

11. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Jolt pack was pretty damn strong, I'd get that if you want strong vibes.

12. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

can i ask what batteries the jolt pack uses?

considering the tremor uses 2 AA i think its meant to be the strongest + the reviews for it are excellent. would i be right in saying 2 AA batteries use more power than 2 AAA batteries?

13. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

they can provide more, but the maximum current output of AAAs is much higher than a rumble pak would use, they just wouldn't last very long.

14. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

hmmm...my conclusion through my research i think is that tremor has the strongest vibration. it DOES have 2 options power saving and max rumble so...i MIGHT be buying a tremor...but no point until i get an adaptoid. i've already got a rumble pak

15. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

im aware the tremorpak plus has extra memory storage. does the tremorpak also have some built in memory or completely a rumble thing?

16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

A memory AND rumble pak? Awesome! That was one let down of the N64 system, you could only have either.

17. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

but that isn't a problem in project64 is it?

anyway check out all these n64 rumble buddies i found

rumble pak
    jolt
    tremor aa battery version and aaa battery
    quake
    hyper (various memory/controller pak versions)

i know tremor is better than rumble, jolt, and quake but which one is better from hyper, tremor aa and tremor aaa?!?

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well it is if you're still using the N64 pad!

19. daacekin

daacekin Regular member

so you're sayin their are joypads with much better force feedback support than n64?

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Well that's not really what I meant - but the N64 console in general you could only have either a memory or rumble pak installed. Most consoles use the memory cards in the console instead...