1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero Vision unable to create chapters or edit

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by eliconi, May 14, 2008.

1. eliconi

eliconi Member

I have Nero v. 8.3.2.1, which includes NeroVision 5. Ever since a reinstallation I did a couple of months ago, I can no longer edit videos, create chapters, or preview the video in NeroVision Express. I receive no error messages, and the program does not crash. I simply cannot access the "play" button, or the "create chapters" button, etc. The buttons are grayed out.

Since this is the only reason I bought Nero in the first place, I contacted Nero support, and after 20+ emails back and forth, they have not helped me to fix the problem. They send me stock answers, the latest of whic blames the issue on the "damaged avi file I am using." The problem with that theory is that this is happening with ALL my videos, including ones I edited/burned before the reinstallation with no problem.

I have searched all the forums, and spent hours trying to fix this problem, but I cannot find the answer. I am not very computer savvy, but I can make my way around, so if you can help me, I would really appreciate it.

I have Windows Vista (ouch), and all my videos are either avi or mpeg files. I have tried installing different codecs (although I truly dont know what they are, or how to determine which ones I need). I looked for patches, which I cannot find for this version of nero. And before you ask, yes, I have uninstalled using the cleantool, reinstalled, and also received a new licence/patent # from Nero in case that was the problem.

I do not wish to use a different editing program since I paid for this one to work! Please please help if you know how...and if you do, please tell me in simple computer-dummy language! =)

Thanks for reading this, and maybe even helping?
    Ellen

2. attar

attar Senior member

Is this referring to a new installation of Vista (and the subsequent installation of Nero) or was it simply a case of removing and reinstalling Nero.
    If that was so, did you use the Nero clean tool to remove Nero.

http://www.nero.com/enu/support-nero8-tools-utilities.html

3. eliconi

eliconi Member

Thanks for your reply.
    I meant to say that it was a reinstallation of Nero, not of Vista. Vista was preinstalled on the computer. And yes, I used the Nero clean tool.

4. attar

attar Senior member

It almost sounds like you don't have permission to run it.
    I don't have Vista, so it's guesswork.
    Can you right click on the StartSmart shortcut and 'Run as...' 'Administrator'?

5. eliconi

eliconi Member

I am running as administrator, but did it as you suggested. Still not working.
    I requested yet another patent from Nero. The replacement patent they gave me was an "Activation Code." One of the support people gave it to me to add to my licenses. Shouldn't I be replacing the original license entirely? Do you think this could still be the issue?

6. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

did you uninstall version v8.3.2.1 and install the same version if so why was that action needed?

just today read a nero tech guy told someone else use v8.2 i think it was but an earlier version anyhow as latest must have bugs...

also reading alot that the remote control option aint working as should in preview project...

7. eliconi

eliconi Member

I cannot remember why I needed to do the reinstallation, as it was a few months ago. You might be right in that when my Nero updated to the newest version, Nero no longer worked on my computer.

Is there a way to get an older version of Nero 8? I dont see it on their website. I did save an older version, but I am not sure it is old enough. I have what looks like 8.2.8.0.

Ellen

8. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

can but try it ellen

will look out for another link

9. ccdragon

ccdragon Member

I'm having a similar problem except I have XP and am using Nero 7 Ultra Edition. My options are not grayed out but I can't click on them. When I do, nothing comes up. The opening screen that gives you the "Make Dvd" option, I get that but when you click on the button you are supposed to get another sub-list of options ... I get nothing. All I can do is open previously saved Nero Vision projects and switch out the movies. I can make chapters but I can not in any way edit the project, so what I'm left with is a bunch of movies with the same exact menu / appearance. I have tried uninstalling / reinstalling more times than I can remember and have continued to have the same result. Also, I have not updated my Nero version.

I have searched for months and this is the only time I have come across someone having somewhat of the same problem.

10. eliconi

eliconi Member

Thanks for your help, Attar.

Rotary, you will be happy to know that I may have found the solution. It is, in fact, codec related. I found a site that seems to not only install new codecs, but it finds and replaces "broken codecs" whatever that means. When it asks you if you want to remove other codecs already installed, say yes.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_Lite_Mega_Codec_Pack.htm

Now, the only problem is that I have a green stripe down the right side of the video, which I am not sure if comes out on the actual burn.

Please let me know how this works for you, ok?
    Ellen

11. Rotary

Rotary Senior member

i have heard of this green stripe before but cant remember what causes it or how to get rid of it?

is this on the avi or after converted?

Last edited: May 17, 2008
  12. skyttlez

skyttlez Guest

i am having the same problem kind of,
    i installed nero 8 and use vison 5.
    i could not create chapters of preview, the buttons were "greyed out"
    i thought little of it and worked around it,
    then all of the sudden it started working, and now for no apparent reason it stopped and now i have this same problem.
    ive tried everything i could find nothing works
    help please