1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

trying to get my hard drive to uninstall vista so I can put xp on

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by shiloh72, May 21, 2008.

1. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

My hp pavillion m9000t cam with vista but I want xp pro on but I cant get it to work is there an easy way to do this all I get is a blue screen says windows was shut down to prevent damage I even parti my hard drive and stiil nothing.And when I do get this where can I get the drivers for my motherbaord ?

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have to completely wipe the drive to put XP on instead. As for the drivers, you have to find them either off the HP site or ask what hardware is in your PC so you can find them yourself - I warn you now, it isn't always possible.

3. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

First question i'd have is why remove it,then again it ain't none of my business,so why not have both & dual boot xp after vista on the same hdd,or get another hdd & plonk xp on that,i see no reason why you can't shift the vista drive to the slave position tho i'm not sure if xp will detect the vista OS,not that it matters it's easy to edit the xp boot ini to be able to boot to vista,the advantage of dual booting is you'll always have an OS to get into if the other OS gets corrupted,it also would'nt hurt to install any of the free linux distro's after xp just for the hell of it,my personal choice would be ubuntu as it will automatically setup the grub to boot which ever OS.

If you decide to wipe vista make sure you make that set of recovery disks before you do & use good quality media like verbatim(should be in all programs list under pc help & tools or some other type of help or wording like recovery blah,blah,) etc then if you have a spare hdd around disconnect the vista drive & install the spare hdd to check the newly made recovery disks actually work,if they do then just use copy mode & make another set of recovery disks then put em away for safe keeping.

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  4. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

I tried that ubuntu it doesnt show both my hard drives I guess I can try dual boot.I dont think they have drivers out for xp anyways for my quad 6600

5. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Last time I checked, you can't dual boot Vista if it was installed first - Vista has to be the last installed OS.

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

@ sammorris
    Check again

@ shiloh
    You can test run whether xp will run by first loading it into microsoft virtual pc 2007,that should work as an indicator from inside vista,from what i understand most things are backwards compatible,if anything i've read latley it's drivers for vista that'll give you grief,the only way to know for sure is trial & error

Last edited: May 21, 2008
  7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, fair does, but it does require third party software. I'll bear that in mind for next time.

8. wizzkiddo

wizzkiddo Regular member

if you have got 2 hard drives and want xp more than vista than i would slave the vista drive and master the spare drive boot up pc and it wont start because it wont read from slave only from master now boot from xp cd install on master and format the slave and walaa you have xp and no vista.

dont dual boot it will conflict thats how i busted my p.c

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, I heard that happened to someone I know as well...

10. shiloh72

shiloh72 Guest

Ok maybe I will try making my vista as slave I did put virtual pc and it works but I really want xp so I will try thanks.

11. wizzkiddo

wizzkiddo Regular member

no probs!