1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nero 6 ultra ed. and dvds.. DVD BKUP GUIDE!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by seamonkey, Jan 19, 2004.

1. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

hello everyone

well.. its been a while since i've done some guides, so i've decided to create a guide on how to:
    backup a dvd-5 or dvd-9 using only:
    DVD Decrypter and Nero 6 Ultra Ed.

I'm working on the guides now, and will post it by this weekend here at afterdawn and at my site..

here's a quick brief overview (not fully tested yet! worked for my transformers season 1 disc):

Using dvd decrypter, copy ALL of the files from the dvd to your harddrive and make sure to rip out the css and macrovision protection.

Open Nero 6 Ultra Ed (you must have this edition, allows for dvd decoding/encoding) Startsmart.

When the wizard pops up, go to the DVD tab > Recode DVD

This will open Nero Recode2 (need to make sure nero vision express2 installed!), on the My DVD Backup screen, click the import DVD button

Browse to the folder where you saved the dvd you ripped to your hd via dvd decrypter

Once you do this, it will bring you back to the My DVD Backup screen and show you some folders with sliders and sizes of videos.

in the lower right, click the Fit to Target box and choose DVD-5 (4.7GB) as the size.
    -Nero will now adjust the video quality sliders so your movie will fit, you can do this manually to, just need to make it so it fits onto a blank dvd (4.7GB).

Once you get those settings figured out, click Next

Now you get your burn options, you can either:
    1) burn it to a blank dvd
    2) create an image file of it
    or
    3) create the vobs,ifos,bup files for later burning to a specified folder.

Once you decide hwo you want to do it, click Burn

It will first encode the movie (my transformers movie only took 9 minutes! it was 5.2GB in size before) and then create the files and/or burn it.

The quality i noticed on my first backup was not noticeable, but then again it is a 80's cartoon series too! however, one thing i do like is the fact that i can now make backups of multi-episode dvd-9 movies (ie simpsons, band of brothers? might be the easy way around making backups of that)

This process took me:
    15 Minutes to decrypt dvd
    10 Minutes to recode w/nero recode
    20 Minutes to burn w/nero 6 (only using 2.4x media)
    total: 45 minutes

So there it is..
    i'll post my seamonkey-ish guide to my sites and here when i get my screenshots done!

peace
    seamonkey420

2. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Hi Seamonkey,
    Fyi, thats how I use Decrypter and Recode 2. It works pretty well.
    I would add that decrypter is in "file mode".

I tried to visit your web page, I got there but couldn't get in. I'll try again later.

Have you seen this tool for making tutorials? I really like it, Its the one ddlooping uses over at the Shrink site.

http://www.debugmode.com/wink

Best Wishes,
    Frank

3. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

cool! i figured people were doing this since it cuts down time and the video quality is WAY better than in nero 5...
    thanks for the tip! i just use the classic old print screen button and photoshop for screenshots! call me old school!

as for the links, its a stupid fastmedia thing, just hit back and cilck the link again and your good.

peace
    seamonkey420

4. seamonkey

seamonkey Regular member

guide is online and submitted to aD..
    peace
    seamonkey420

5. askyew

askyew Regular member

I dont know if I like the dvd shrink becoming part of nero, but you gotta eat right. So I guess that I will have to rip first with decrypter then shrink and burn with nero shrink. must.....find.......prozac

6. DaJoker

DaJoker Member

I'm having trouble with this combo and SWAT. The resulting movie gets stuck in a loop at the beginning of the movie. The disclaimer comes on about the comments not being from FOX, etc. and it just loops that disclaimer over and over.