1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

.AVI to VOB

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by Paracite, Jan 21, 2004.

1. Paracite

Paracite Member

as u can c, i'm a n00b.

Is there a software, that is d-loadable, that converts AVI files to VOB files.
    I want to watch the movies on a DVD-player (obviously) So i need to convert, r there any other softwares i will need to suck down, to be able to complete the convertion!?

Now feel free to flame this.. or sumn.. Thanx =)

2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

paracite,

AVI to MPEG use TMPGEnc - will let you play in a standalone DVD player

"P"

3. Paracite

Paracite Member

Roger that.. but since our DVD-player doesn't play MPEG's wut wil this help? or can i convert it forward from there?

4. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Sorry,

My mind does wander when I’m tired – scratch that last post – truly an extremely BAD post on my part -

OK, OK, So now I feel bad - -

Not to worry, I'll make it up to you with good and timely information -

Let’s start out with this guide from Doom9 (Please read the opening paragraph for reasons against).
    http://www.doom9.org/index.html?/mpg/avi2dvdr.htm

Now, that I have your attention (did you read Doom9’s Guide yet ?

Ooohh you haven’t, Huuumm, OK, I’ll wait - - -

Done reading now ?

You have well GREAT !!

Let’s just think about taking our AVI’s over to our friendly Nero Store where we can change them to SVCD, lick-caa-tee split.

“SVCD ? “ you ask ? Well yes. They will play on most of the newer DVD Players, are better looking (as good as an AVI can be, that is) and far less time consuming to do.

Shoo, shoo now, off you go to happy camper backup land - -

Be sure to send “Uncle” Pete a postcard now, bye, bye - - :))

“P”

5. Paracite

Paracite Member

Awww. lol!

Ok, done that, had it, did it... everything, Didn't play on DVD.. =)

Since they write in the manual, that NOTE! this dvd player may not be able to play all CD formats bla bla blab lba.. even tho they write that it's capable of playing VCD's & SVCD's..
    I've tried every CD possible, except for DVD-R, therefor i need to convert .AVI to VOB, otherwise Nero doesn't agree to burn da movie!
    Uncle? got some candy for me?

6. Paracite

Paracite Member

Umm ,now i'd really need some help, i've searched through av/google/yahoo... the forums in here, but i'm not finding anything to answer my question:

I wan't to convert My avi. movies, to ifo,vob,bup files, so that i can burn on a dvd-r... so that i'm capable of watching them on our dvd-player, but since the dvd doesn't play mpeg's, and is not accepting to play VCD's SVCD's.. i wan't to try a dvd-r.
    All i need to know is, if there is a software that converts .avi files, to ifo,vob,bup... ? if u can't post it here, due to some rules, msg me at locker321@hotmail.com plz!

-thank you-

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  7. sheppy124

sheppy124 Regular member

have a look at divx2dvd by x-oom purchased at a well know computer store (uk) though dont think you can download a trial. that accepts avi and will convert to dvd format. Have had a few good results with this software, will also convert mpg files as well. Also has a writing tool on it as long as the files are within the 4.7 limits or save onto hard drive.

8. Paracite

Paracite Member

ok, gonna try and find that.. not sure i will, since i live in finland, oh well, thnx!

9. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

paracite,

Just playing with my Nero in the CD, SVCD mode (classic not Wizard) and it would seem that Mr. Nero would work with MPEG. Playing a SVCD on a DVD player will work fine, as a matter of fact, SVCD will play in a washing machine (in the spin dry cycle) - why not give it a "whirl"?

"P"

11. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Paracite,

One of the "Good Gurus" on another post said the following - TMPGEnc to take you from AVI to MPEG then TMPGEnc DVD Author to VOB's then use Nero NOT TMPG to burn to DVD -

"P"

12. Jerry746

Jerry746 Senior member

Hey guys, top of this forum start page is a post by dRD on AVI to DVD-R. I think it links to a guide. Should be just what you need.
    Jerry
    Sorry Pete, you already showed him that. Didn't see the link post. Its past my bed time.
    Jerry

Last edited: Jan 22, 2004
  13. Paracite

Paracite Member

Mmmh, sry guys.. maybe i didn't read the forums good enough.. a lil p1ss3d of, cause the shop we bought the pc from, can't get the installations right, so i had to do it over again... twice!

Well uncle Pete, SVCD doesn't work on our dvd- even though it should.. maybe i just should try it in our washing machine!! might get a clean spin view of the movie!

Well, thnx Pete, gonna try ur new links, advise, and everything.

Now howabout that candy? =P

Cheers!

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Paracite,

HERE IS YOUR ANSWER !!!

Son, I say Son, Ya got ta read ma posts -

I got this from "Minion" one of the true geniues of our time (or at least this forum) :)) Thanks, Minion !

Da answer is, I say the answer is TMPGEnc to take you from AVI to MPEG then [bold]TMPGEnc DVD Author to give you your much looked for VOB's,[/bold] take all your files in your VIDEO_TS folder then use NERO, NOT the TMPG burner to put your VIDEO_TS folder onto your DVD -
    Pete

15. Paracite

Paracite Member

Umm, yeah, i got that.. got it allready from ur post before this one, but... thanx again

16. Ducadunk

Ducadunk Guest

I also have done that, and I followed the right steps through TMPGEnc to take you from AVI to MPEG then TMPGEnc DVD Author to give me VOB's, then took all my files in my VIDEO_TS folder then used Nero, and the picture wont come up, only the sound. I followed the guide that was given earlier word for word. ANy suggestions?

17. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Ducadunk,

Sorry Good Fella, I can only say try to find Minion, I got the recipe from his post, I haven't gone through it personally -

"P"

_X_X_X_X_X_[small]The “old man” Pete (ö¿ô)
    Compaq 8000, Pent 4 CPU 2.84GHz, 1GB RAM.
    340GB HD, 7200 (Maxtor 120, Western 200 & 20.
    4 Drives, JLMS DVD ROM, HP DVD Writer 200j,
    Nec 4X DVD RW ND-1300A & AXV CD/DVD-ROM.
    GeForce4 Ti 4200-128MB, OS– XP sp1.[/small]

Last edited: Jan 23, 2004
  18. pbailey

pbailey Regular member

Dude the easiest way i've found to convert to vob is using the nero vision suite and "getting" my hands on the mpeg2 convertor. This plugin kicks arse, it will convert any format to vob. I've done avi's, mpeg1's etc, all no prob. However i haven't been able to burn the converted files using nero, have been importing the converted files into dvd labs 1.3.1 trial version and making the disc from there.

Long winded process maybe, but in the s/ware world you have to go with what works for you, best of luck.

Bailey

19. Minion

Minion Senior member

Sure you can use Nero if you want Sh*tty quality....
    Ducadunk : After you encode with Tmpgenc did you look at the File to make sure it encoded Properly and there was a Picture???You also should have seen a Picture when you were useing Tmpgenc DVD author...If you didn"t then there was Probably a problem when you were encodeing with Tmpgenc ,A Problem that is easilly fixed But there is No use explaining it if that isn"t the Problem...so Let us Know...Cheers

20. Paracite

Paracite Member

NOW what, i try to convert them to vob's with DVD author... Resolution is wrong, framerate is wrong, sequence header is necessary!? uuuuuhhhhh?? how do i change them