1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

m4a apple lossless quality editor?

Discussion in 'High resolution audio' started by krohm, Jun 17, 2008.

1. krohm

krohm Member

im after an m4a apple lossless quality editor. need to edit some lossless tracks ive grabbed from my cds. cut some sections out here and there. any programs out there?

i was advised using dBpoweramp, get the m4a codec, and output the file to wav, then edit it using audacity or some other wav editing app. is there any app that edits the raw m4a file without conversions and multiple apps? hope so...

2. varnull

varnull Guest

the burning silence tells you that there is something wrong... m4a isn't lossless, usually it's 128k and dynamically clipped to hell and back..
    so like you already said.. convert to wav or flac and edit.. then convert back (if you must use a crappy music codec like that)
    But why screw the quality up in the first place... rip to flac instead of m4a.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2008
  3. ranosb

ranosb Member

.m4a comes in two versions, apples aac which is similar to mp3 but has better sound for compression ratio at higher compression.
    The other is apples LOSSLESS .m4a which should be similar to FLAC...

4. wilkes

wilkes Regular member

It's still nothing to do with High Resolution.
    Sad, sad state of affairs when people think that the possibility of a lossless encode using a perceptual encoder = High Res.

High Resolution - even by Sony's pisspoor version of the term, means AT LEAST greater than CD resolution.
    My understanding is that it should also be AT LEAST 24/48, ideally 24/96 or higher as 16-bit audio is not now & never will be high resolution.