1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMD 6400+ x2 AM2 Stock fan and temp problems

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by StudNutz, Jun 21, 2008.

1. StudNutz

StudNutz Member

I have a AMD 6400 X2 Windsor 125 Watt processor and everything has been fine for the past few months since Ive built it. All of a sudden a couple weeks ago my PC started crashing. Once while in idle and everytime I try to play a game. Ive put my graphic settings on low and cant stop it from overheating. Im using two different programs to monitor the temps and they both show the same results. The game Im really trying to play is AOE3 Asian Dynasties but none of my games at all will run for more than 10-15 minutes then I get a error message or a blue screen. I am using Windows XP Home.
    My Specs are:
    Windows XP Home Edition with all Updates and Service Packs
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 Motherboard Socket AM2
    AMD 6400+ X2 Windsor 125 Watt SOCKET AM2
    RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-530SS 530W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V Modular LED PSU
    3 GB of GSKILL ddr2 pc2-6400
    256mb Gigabyte 8500GTS by Nvidia PCIE
    80GB Excelstar Jupitar Series SATA HD
    80GB WD SATA HD
    160GB WD SATA HD
    Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1
    Plextor Light Scribe DVDRW

COOLING FANS:
    Stock Heatsink and fan with stock thermal paste for the AMD 6400 X2
    80MM Side Panel Fan
    Slot Fan under the Gigabyte 8500GTS PCIE
    Adding a 120mm fan on the back today to bring more air in

I am looking into aftermarket coolers right now but have never intsalled one can anyone show me a good one that might not be to difficult to install. I am also going to get Arctic Thermal Paste this time as well.

2. StudNutz

StudNutz Member

Also my temps are as follows:
    IDLE:
    CPU- 60c
    GPU- 47c
    SYS- 25c
    AUX- 5c
    HD- 45c

I dont know anything about powersupplies except that I may have bought a bad one.
    My voltages are:
    VCoreA: 1.44v
    VCoreB: 1.90v
    +3.3v: 3.26v
    +5v: 4.89v
    +12v: 12.10v
    +5vsb: 4.97v
    +VBAT: 3.10v
    Do these look okay Im not sure myself. Anyways any help with this problem would be much appreciated. Im doing a RAM test tonight as well but Im positive my RAM is okay. I just dont want to waste money on a new PSU or RAM if its still good. I think that the CPU is just running so hot cause its 125 Watts and needs a better fan. I jsut dont know which one to get or how easy it will be to install. Ive built several computers over the past few years but never had to install a huge 5lb fan on something like this nor have I ever really had any heat issues I couldnt solve. Thanks

3. StudNutz

StudNutz Member

4. StudNutz

StudNutz Member

Let me just say this is an excellent fan. My CPU has not gone over 44C with a full load. Very easy to install and I would recommend purchasing this fan if you are looking at buying and Socket AM2 Athlon Processor as the stock fans are junk.