AfterDawn Forums

Torrents...Can I get in trouble?

This discussion thread has 25 messages.

I uploaded my first torrent today ***link removed by loco***

And I've got a few downloaders already, but I'm a bit weary, can I get in trouble for uploading a torrent? I live in the UK so the laws say you can't download etc...But I ripped these futurama episodes from my own dvds, and for personal storage purposes myself, and thought maybe other people would want to do the same, so I uploaded it.

Can I get in trouble?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2008 @ 19:51
▼▼ This topic has 24 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Quote:
Can I get in trouble?
Come on now...what do you think?

http://torrentfreak.com/british-police-c...arrests-080602/

...also, please see rule 5
Quote:

5. -> PIRACY AND LINKING TO PIRATED MATERIAL IS STRICTLY PROHIBITED, YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE FROZEN IF YOU DO THIS <-

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 23 Jun 2008 @ 19:54

Oh sorry about that, can I have info of how to close my pirate bay account / delete the torrent?

CPU -Intel Core i5 750 @ 3.36GHz w/ F7P Rev 2
GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
RAM -G.Skill 8GB (4x2GB) 1600Mhz
MoBo -Gigabyte GA-P55-US3L
HDDS -WD 320GB 16mb/ST 500GB 32mb (decommissioned)/Samsung Spinpoint 1TB + 2TB
Just close your client and delete the torrent within your folder that you are seeding from. As far as closing you account, contact the admins and request to close your account.
Thanks, done. It should be fine now :P.

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
Wait...After reading that page thoroughly they were pre-releasing music, I am just uploading backup files, millions of people do it, shouldn't I be okay? =S

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
corn Suspended due non-functional email address
Unfortunately, it's not. Since the MPAA are money-sucking SOB's, they'll sue for just about anything movie related.

Anyways, you can get something called Peerguardian 2. It's stops bad IP's from connecting to you.
http://phoenixlabs.org/pg2/
awesome, thanks for the help. I'll be sure to put it on every PC in the house, I'm guessing the MPAA are too stupid to figure out how to bypass PG2 hah

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
It just really blocks the IP. I don't know if there ignorant to bypass it, but I'm sure if they really wanted to, they could.
hmm....Interesting little program. Thanks again.

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
No problem.
PG2 isn't a bullet proof vest, it lessens your chances but you can still get caught.

Of course I realize it isn't bullet proof, nothing is bullet proof. But it's still good to use. Tbh it surprised me that the first day I got it it blocked

Time Warner Telecom
AAFEC/Barracks (This came up while I was downloading Looney Tunes. Someone in the military was downloading looney tunes? Wow)
Golden Lines|Anti-p2p
ServerBeach Emule Servers|p2p fakes
Bittorrent Fakes

And f'cking SAVVIS about 900 times a day. And Omniture.

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
Lol, yeah you'll get more. You should see what it's like when you're downloading a heavily seeded torrent, or a new one.
I read somewhere someone was downloading Halo 3, and got a block from the Pentagon. I think it was on here, or another site.
LMFAO Everyones a pirate.

There's also been

Algerie Telecom|Anti-p2p
MOC Network Cordination Center|Anti-p2p
Time Warner Cable
moviex.info|P2P Abusers
Hellenic Air Force Academy
AT&T - POSSIBLE MACROVISION
Washington State K-20 Telecommunications Network
Bellsouth.net Inc. - Possible Macrovision
Imperial College London
WWW.INTERNETPIRACY.NET.TC

And then I saw this

presidential office of korea or something like that, and I was like Wtf? Wow there's alot of strange things this program blocks.

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
varnull Suspended account
As said earlier... don't put all your faith in the ip blocklists.. read the linked article for further insights.

http://dmca.cs.washington.edu/
Can't, Washington is on the IP Blocklist.

Also I got HILTON HOTEL CORPORATION and I keep getting AAFES/Barracks aswell.

I'm gonna stop posting now.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 28 Jun 2008 @ 12:02

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
xChronox fix your sig to conform to forum specs ASAP!

Quote:
Signatures

These rules exist to make viewing the forum as pleasant as possible to all users. Even though you might think signatures with large pictures look cool, some might find them extremely annoying.

1. Text-only signatures should have at most 5 lines of text.

2. An image-only signature should be less than 50kb in size, and be at most 500 pixels wide and 200 pixels tall.

3. If you use an animated picture in the signature, it should not be too distractive. Eg. blinking images or images with quick movement are not allowed.

4. If you want to use both text and image in your signature the image should not be more than 500 pixels wide and 100 pixels tall, and you can use up to three lines of text.

5. All the abovementioned rules for forum posts apply also to the signatures.

Violation of these rules does not lead to an immediate ban. However if requested user must edit his or her signature to fit these guidelines.

Sorry, is this alright now?

GPU -Gigabyte HD6950 2GB
you need to take out both ticks (-) and no spaces....5 lines max for text only sigs.

they can't bring down the whole system if a law is broken by all or in this case a majority then the law must be changed to follow the people same thing said for weed
i know someone said it better but could not find not quote
therefore don't worry plus if anything go we i was sharing the file it's not against the law to share want is yours and if anything don't use you internet use someone else and a portable laptop and hid it some where and leave it downloading but for the average joe just download all ready and seed more then you download not less
Originally posted by 1333t:
they can't bring down the whole system if a law is broken by all or in this case a majority then the law must be changed to follow the people same thing said for weed
i know someone said it better but could not find not quote
therefore don't worry plus if anything go we i was sharing the file it's not against the law to share want is yours and if anything don't use you internet use someone else and a portable laptop and hid it some where and leave it downloading but for the average joe just download all ready and seed more then you download not less
What in the hell was that supposed to mean? Any idea Loco?

basically let someone else take the blame by using their wireless networks. but what are the chances of finding an unprotected network?

also, i think it's saying it's ok to distribute any programs you own, because you own them, and practically have the right to do anything with them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Jul 2008 @ 2:27

ps2: v7 scph-39001 - independence exploit - hdloader 0.8c - maxtor 300gb hdd
(+[__]%) psp slim ta-085v1: 6.60 PRO B10
wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

got a whole lot more to list . . .
Thanks buddy, all I got from it was

fidhfadshffhjedkfghjedpkgj39893u8ttkifejf[gewkfgjfneofegeokgjewi[ghjew

I will not even waste my time pointing out how incorrect those ideas are since I do not feel he/she/it has the intellect to understand. Next time you are acting like an ass and using your neighbors connection, do the world a favor and download a damn English ebook!!

Originally posted by 1333t:
blah blah blah blah blah blah system blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah law blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah weed
blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah sharing blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah internet blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah seed blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah teh enz
closed for violation of rule 5 and to avoid further stupidity.

This discussion topic is closed. You can't post to this topic.