1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

UPC replacing boxes in dublin.

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by ruprect, Jun 24, 2008.

1. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Don't know if this was already mentioned elsewhere. I got a letter from UPC.

Translation, we are replacing all nagra 1 boxes with nagra 2 ones. We will still stream both nagra 1 & 2 signals until all customers have nagra 2 boxes. When all boxes are exchanged the nagra 1 stream will be turned off, and all dodgy boxes will not work. This could be months away, especially if the appointments everybody asks for are at 2am saturday night, and you don't answer the door. By that time the new system should be hacked, already is in other countries AFAIK. From what I hear some boxes might not be able to handle nagra 2, or will need software from the manufactures, while linux based boxes should be first to have updates.

2. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

Last edited: Jun 24, 2008
  3. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

Yes, I know nagra2 has been out for a while. I have used the new (massive) box in a mates. It is a bigger old box to be replaced, it is actually in another house, I have a smaller one in my house and live down the road and got no letter yet.

4. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

You wont get a letter as your box is fine.

5. joeskiner

joeskiner Member

hmmmm.. do you think it could be possible at a later stage to get a fix for boxes to de-crypt the nagra 2??

6. break0990

break0990 Guest

i heard this before its because some people a chiping the pace boxes so they cant be turnt off but they cant enter ur house with out a warrent from the court there are new boxes being made for high deff .

7. ruprect

ruprect Regular member

yes, probably not all boxes, just like the old pace is not going to be able to handle it. That is why I would stick with linux based boxes

I have one, the abcom ipbox HD900, pic quality is amazing via HDMI

8. TODGER

TODGER Guest

They are only replaceing the DI 4001 / 4010 model pace boxs. There was a upc member talking on the radio about it back in may these boxs are been replaced as a counter measure against the starview and other cardless boxs, upc plan to upgrade there firmware to all there boxs rendering all illegal boxs useless there own 4000 series pace stb would not be capable of taking this download so they are been replaced they were hopeing to have all these boxs replaced by september 1st but i have learned there are still nearly 3000 in circulation in dublin alone so they have now introduced a new deadline of 1st of october.

9. joeskiner

joeskiner Member

Thanks for that. Is that deadline just for dublin or is it nationwide??

10. TODGER

TODGER Guest

Nationwide alledgedly just wait and see is all we can do.

11. johnburke

johnburke Member

my signal went bad, thay came out gave me these huge boxes no my stav**ws won't work any suggestions? or had this ahappeded to anyone else?

12. fontane

fontane Member

they came out and gave me the smaller pace box, i had the older larger upc box....no joy though with my eurovox, its down like the irish economy.....any suggestions out there?

13. DesB

DesB Regular member

Lads there is no reason why it shouldnt work, if you run the coax from the upc into either boxes and a scart from the box to the TV it should work, what messages, if any are you both getting?

14. fontane

fontane Member

unwatchable scratchy signal, its tries to update but no signal keeps coming up.....cant watch it at all.

ntl box works fine.....

driving me nuts

15. johnburke

johnburke Member

16. DesB

DesB Regular member

You didnt say which starview box you have, and are you sure the coaxis correctly inputed?

17. fontane

fontane Member

eurovox pvr - had eurovox max until last week, traded up ;) but no luck with new box either both are scratchy

18. johnburke

johnburke Member

i have a starview 3 and a clone they were working up till n*l did the switch ok (although the bad incoming signal was affecting the viewing quality)

19. DesB

DesB Regular member

Fontaine, I have asked Karl to give you a dig out! as I am more into starviews,

20. johnburke

johnburke Member

thanks man much appreciated