1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PVR for a starview

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by flashdba, Jun 27, 2008.

1. flashdba

flashdba Member

Hi

I have just bought a starview (the box) and would like to buy a PVR to go with it. Can anyone tell me which PVR is most suitable for use with the starview ?

My model no is API ver 5.01e_E
    Boot ver : 7.0
    12.Dec 2007

mmds aerial

thanks

2. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Why didn't you buy an all in one Starview PVR.?
    This would have been cheaper than having to buy 2 Boxes.
    To answer your question any PVR will do providing it has scart connections to connect to the Starview or you could go for a DVD recorder with scart connections
    jbvid

3. flashdba

flashdba Member

thanks JBVID.
    I didn't know about the all in one until after i bought the starview.

I have been trying to find out if PVR's work in Ireland. I have been told that EPG does not work in Ireland but this is confusing as the sky+ box does work. Do you or anyone else know ?

Many thanks
    Flashdba

4. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

AFAIK the epg works anywhere, the only problem on the Starviews is the EPG is quite slow to update.
    jbvid

5. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

And exceptionally slow over MMDS ;)

6. johnny600

johnny600 Member

hi im having problems with my sv pvr box ive flashed it with the latest firmware everytime i switch the box off i have to rescan the channels can anyone help many thanks

7. kidsbelly

kidsbelly Member

Hi,
    Could someone explain to me what a "PVR" is, and do they enable me to start using my starview box again? Or is there any other boxes on the market that work? Or even if there's a fix for the starview I've already got?
    It's a starview original and for NE England.

Thank you in advance gentlemen (and ladies)

8. DesB

DesB Regular member

PVR wont make your box work, dont worry as yet there is no fix out yet for the Starview 1 box!
    its one of the last boxes that havent been fixed yet!

9. ph2kuk

ph2kuk Member

Hi all
    I have been searching through the forum trying to find a solution to my problem. Can anyone give me a link to one that helps. I have flashed a thebox pvr but when I attempt to scan for channels it stays at 0% on both signal & quality and so finds no channels, is there another name for this box ie starview or dbox that I should be reading about. any help would be apreciated

10. jbvideo

jbvideo Regular member

Hi
    Which f/w have you flashed it with??

You may need to load the latest F/W (Firm Ware) TheBox PVR UK Fix 081208 it is in the 'eko.4shared' link below, To find your present Software version press Menu/System Setup/System Information.

Then first make sure you are plugged into the correct socket at the back (one of the four together) marked up. NOT the antenna socket. The manual is wrong.

The info below may have changed slightly since the v4.506 Oct F/W
    Before doing a scan Goto Menu / Installation and make sure the (Cable Network Option) top item is set to your local provider if not correct it by using the right / Left arrow keys on your remote, then move down to Autoscan and wait till it has finished scanning.
    If channels are not clearing after a scan goto Menu / System Setup / Press OK when the Parental Control line in yellow is highlighted then press i then 2007, this should take you the the Cas System Menu. (You may need try this a few times to get your key press timing correct on the remote control but this will get you into the Cas Syatem Menu) If you can't get onto the Cas System Menu screen then you are doing something wrong so keep trying it.
    When you are on the Cas Menu Screen and with Nagravision 1,11 highlighted in Yellow Press OK, On the Provider ID Line select the same provider as earlier by using the left/right arrow buttons on remote then press the LAST (load default) button on your remote, then the OK button to (Store) wait for it to save then press exit, then make sure Autoupdate option is On (Bottom Item in Cas System Menu.) This is the equiv of the EMU, I think there is also a Key Update in this menu to be selected to on. Finally use Exit all the way out, Goto a scrambled channel and wait for update.

Goto the TheBox PVR Folder for F/W and Documentation Folder for How too's
    http://eko.4shared.com/

jbvid

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  11. ph2kuk

ph2kuk Member

Thank's so much for that, I can't belive it was so simple that I had the cable in the wrong socket, your a star. the person who printed the manual wants shooting.
    Thanks again

12. ph2kuk

ph2kuk Member

I was a little premature with the celebrations ealier, It has now found all the channels and the signal etc is realy good but it has stuck on the message fron vm and the remote seems to have stoped working.

13. walliea

walliea Member

14. patcun79

patcun79 Member

http://www.bubblecableboxes.com/forum/showthread.php?t=223
    the newer version of software is much better. it removes the reboot problem and the epg is much quicker

15. harry1938

harry1938 Guest

Ihave recently flashed a s/view pvr with E.ver 4.506 15 oct 2007
    Working o k but when I set it to record as soon as the programme I hav set to pre record starts the box jumps to that channel and if I hange to adifferent chanel i e the one Iwas watching the whole thing freezes and says No Signal T2.Any help would be appreciated

16. gengis_k

gengis_k Guest

i think u my only have one input cable,therefore the signal is been used2 record when u progam it too.u need 2 input cables to watch and record different channels at d same time ,like sky+,with 1 cable u can only record what u watch per say

17. harry1938

harry1938 Guest

Ghengis Can I just put a splitter on to cable input 1 and cable input 2?

18. gengis_k

gengis_k Guest

ya as far as i know.once u have two IF inputs on the box jus splitt your cable before u put it into d cablebox.

19. harry1938

harry1938 Guest

I have recieved help .On the back join cable2 in to cable 1 out
    It works

20. crashd

crashd Regular member

The EPG with the box super usb is supposed to be quite good. The problem is you can only record the channel you are watching and you cannot record a series. I also have read of many people getting blank screens when recording so are unable to watch anything while the box is recording.

At the moment it seems the optimum setup is a media centre PC with a dual analogue TV card and two SV boxes (if you can get two old boxes it's cheaper). That way you get Microsoft's very good EPG which automatically updates and you have the one click series record. As you are using a Microsoft product the file format is also compatible with windows movie maker and you can burn straight to DVD.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2009