1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how to copy vhs to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by 3phase, Jan 24, 2004.

1. 3phase

3phase Guest

I have got copying dvds down, now I want to copy my vhs tapes to dvd but I don't know what I need to do this. I have installed an stb pci tv/fm tuner card to connect my vcr to the computer and downloaded a few tv viewers from a freeware site but they tell me there is no video signal.
    Can anyone help me out? I would like to freeware if there is any.

2. grovesej

grovesej Guest

3phase

Are you trying to copy Commerical VHS tapes to DVD?

3. 3phase

3phase Guest

Yes, I have several movies I want to put onto DVDs. I have nero and dvd shrink but am not sure if these will work for what I want to do.

4. madghost

madghost Member

hey 3phase, i`m no expert, but i ws getting the no signal message with my software, and i found a setting adjustment where i had to choose video composite. that was because my capture card ,nvidia 5700 vivo, has no audio, so the audio comes in from sound blaster.hence video composite.hope that helps! my favorite program for this is intervideo windvd creator 2 platinum. i don`t think it`s actually free tho

5. gopal29

gopal29 Guest

I have just got an ADVC 50 capture card and a Pioneer A-07 DVD +/- R/RW writer(8x). I want to copy VHS movie tapes both NTSC and PAL onto DVD for preservation. Would someone please advise me where I can look for (urls)do-it-yourself articles/information on this ? Also, any pointers on how to use this combination of card/drive or any other practical advice. Thanks

6. madghost

madghost Member

hey gopal, it`s all in the software now a days,dvd movie factory 3 is good for me (by ulead) win dvd creator is also very good,and there is a slew of freeware out there,such as tmpgenc,at least i think it`s free ; - )

7. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I'm the posterboy for the term newbie. I'm attempting to copy VHS tapes to DVD. I'm using Ulead Studio 6 which came bundled with my AIW 8500. Using a composite to the capture adapter. I'm selecting DVD format to capture. The picture looks beautiful on the monitor, the rendered file also looks real good. But after I burn it on my HP 300 burner, any action even very slight is jumpy. Does anyone know a solution?

8. rickyd

rickyd Member

I have a collection of VHS tapes that I want to move to DVD. I have been told that Pinnacle studio moviebox DV v9 is the answer. I have read thru all the postings that talk about VHS to DVD and none mention this product. Does any one have any experience with it. My hope is to have at least the same quility as the VHS tape on the DVD. I also wanted to get the TWO hour tapes on a single DVD.
    Any advice?

9. dmarie

dmarie Member

I am trying to figure out how to do this also--I have Pinnacle Studio 8--works well with my home videos, but only get an hour on a dvd--most movies are longer than an hour. Is there any way to compress the vhs?

Got a stack of em.

dmarie

10. davidab

davidab Member

I too wish to copy vhs to dvd and I have read all the above comments.
    I have nero 6 and ulead video studio.
    Can I use either of these programmes ?

I also have a TV capture card

11. mgb1921

mgb1921 Member

Me too a newbie. Looking to back up both movie vhs and family video vhs on dvd. Using Nero 6 with a sony DVD burner.....any advice would help...thanks

12. bigroy

bigroy Guest

I purchased a JVC HR-S9911U video cassette recorder from Crutchfield.com that has a TBC function built into it. That has made a significant inprovment on the quality of the captured footage. The footage was from a 20 yr. old dance recital tape of my daughter. I also have purchased a program called: X-OOM Video Clean, that I downloaded for $36. I am just trying it out. If anyone has any info on this program, I would be interested

13. davidab

davidab Member

Has anybody been able to copy VHS to DVD using either Nero 6 or Ulead photo editing programmes ?

I know the best way to capture video is to have a high quality cable link. This then definately improves the quality.
    I have used Ulead Video studio 5 to capture film to the HD but am having trouble with the sound.
    Any people wish to chat via email to resolve our problems.

14. davidab

davidab Member

Has anybody been able to copy VHS to DVD using either Nero 6 or Ulead photo editing programmes ?

I know the best way to capture video is to have a high quality cable link. This then definately improves the quality.
    I have used Ulead Video studio 5 to capture film to the HD but am having trouble with the sound.
    Any people wish to chat via email to resolve our problems.