1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nzxt apollo case

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dragnandy, Jul 20, 2008.

1. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

im going to get a nzxt apollo case, but im starting to question it. first, theres only 2 fans, is that sufficient enough? i was read reviews and you can add an extra fan on the front. so how would i be able to manually install a fan on the bottom front of the case?

also, i was going to get the nzxt apollo for 55USD, without shipping, from newegg, but unfortunately its like now like 75 or 80USD. so if i do add another fan, itll be almost 100 without shipping. and thats almost the price of the nzxt tempest, which i heard is also very good. so i wanna know ur guys opinion on it. should i get the apollo or tempest? and i also looked up the antec 900, but it seems like the same as the tempest, but at 120USD.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The NZXT Apollo is a great case for the price, solidly built, adequately cooled, IMO good looking, and is fine for a normal midrange gaming PC. If you use a hot running (or multiple) graphics cards, are intending to overclock, and/or will be using a quad core CPU you really ought to look at something better, and the NZXT Tempest fits that bill perfectly, it's better looking than the 900, better designed, amazingly has bettr cooling, and is also better built, surprisingly.

3. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i do plan on OC my quadcore cpu but not my video card, just one HD4850.
    i was unsure because i think the apollo looks better, and such, but i just dont like the position of the usbs and power button. im also going to get the freezer 7 pro for the cpu fan. so tempest would be the better bet?

also, do you know if any local stores sells the ZNXT cases? shipping from newegg and other computer stores is like 25USD. somewhere like frys or circuit city? i live in CA.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2008
  4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The HD4850s run HOT, it's not usually a problem but for guaranteed stability a case with a bit more 'oomph' in the case department is desirable.
    How about the Lexa Blackline?

5. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i dont plan on OC the HD4850. but doesnt the tempest have better cooling than the lexa? its pretty much the same except an extra fan on the front and top and lexa has one on the bottom. does the bottom make a big difference?

ive been looking around and the tempest is 110USD and the antec 900 is 100USD with free shipping. i think those look very nice with that price.i also just looked at the price of a lexa and its cheaper than the tempest. is the lexa more powerful than the tempest?

and if the HD4850 is still hot, could i get this?
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835226018

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

7. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

so would the tempest have adequate cooling for my hd4850 if its not OC? and would that second link you provided, the fan, is that better than the stock sapphire HD4850?

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The cooler and fan, not just the fan... lol

The NZXT tempest is enough to cool pretty much anything, you'll be fine with one HD4850.

9. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

well now that i think about it, the nzxt lexa does look very nice. are the stock fans on the lexa more than enough to cool my computer? because if it is, then i think im going to get a lexa because of the price and the little lcd screen looks nice =]. but if its only sufficient and the tempest does a better job, then ill go with tempest.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Lexa is perfectly capable of cooling the PC you describe. The Tempest still has better cooling, but the Lexa is perfectly sufficient, I should know, I own two of them! :)

11. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

thanks sam. i guess ill just sleep on it. lexa is cheaper, nicer looking, but the tempest has better position of usb and ports and better cooling. hard to choose.

12. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The Aluminium version is imo better made, lighter, and comes with a carry bag, but then it's not as cheap.

13. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  14. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Nice list, I've no issue with any of that.
    For the Freezer 7 Pro, I think they come with their own high quality thermal paste now, so you shouldn't need to buy any.

15. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

thanks. cant wait till i order and get all these parts!

also, how do u install bluetooth to my pc? the only thing i could find are those usb ones. are there any pci or pci express ones?

Last edited: Jul 21, 2008
  16. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

As far as I know, no, they're only available in USB forms. What's wrong with just plugging one into a rear USB port?

17. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

nothing wrong, just wondering. also, im looking for some 2.1 speakers. so far, ive been trying to search for some Logitech x-230. but i cant find them anywhere. they were discotinued shortly ago for the x-240, which i read are crap. so do you have any suggestions on some 2.1 speakers that have great bass and such thats under 50USD? my sister was able to get some around 40, but they are out.

18. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

19. dragnandy

dragnandy Regular member

i just read that the 240's are just like the 210's but with an ipod cradle and the sound is nothing like the 230's, which i think is really impressive.

20. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I read the 240s are just like the 230s but with an ipod cradle.