1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Analog CRT refresh rate problem with HD 3850 AGP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by elitepunk, Jul 20, 2008.

1. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

Well, I bought a HD 3850 for this agp board. I had to install the saphire hotfix drivers to get it working 'properly'. the problem is that i have this huge good analog crt monitor but, the card only has 2 times dvi outputs, and this monitor is vga. i used the adapter that comes with the card. im running the desktop refersh rate of 100 HZ. however, that is a FORCED, refresh rate, and the ''max is 75hz'' so that means all my games run at 75hz and look like total crap, with a black boarder around it. with my previous video card in this machine ''x1650pro'' it had one dvi port and i did not have this problem. any suggestions other than buy a new dvi monitor?

Thanks,

Jon.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

The refresh rate has nothing to do with how games look and how the screen fits. However, CRTs memorise your setup exactly for every different display mode. Using a different refresh rate means it won't have your height/width/trapezoid/pincushion settings right. All you should need to do is adjust these settings on the monitor to get the game to look right again.

3. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

I figured a way around it now, I can use ATI Tray Tools to Lock the refresh rate to the desktop's [100 hz], instead of it always changing in game to 75 [and at that low of refresh rate everything was blinking]. At least that is solved now.

...One problem im having with this card now is that Gens+ now recieves a ''create surface error'' when trying to switch to direct3d mode...any ideas?

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I haven't used Gens for years unfortunately, so I wouldn't know. Ever since trying to play Puggsy, I've used the rather ancient emulator Kega Lazarus as it's the only one to have SRAM disable.

5. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

Hey thanx for the replys but now i gota bigger problem,
    all the directx 3D diagnostics failed from directx 7-9. Wasn't this supposed to be fixed in the sapphire hotfix? So its not just Gens its the card/drivers. Crap. Hope there is a solution to get directx 3d working!!

-Jon.

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

You have actually installed DirectX right?

7. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

yes its installed

8. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Hmm, not sure then. Unfortunately high end AGP cards are notoriously unreliable, which is why I never advise anyone to buy them. The last 'safe' generation for AGP was the 6800/X800/X850, and to be fair, given the processors people run in AGP rigs, that's all they'd ever need anyway.

9. elitepunk

elitepunk Member

ya i can see why now but...maybe this is just driver related and will eventually be fixed in a driver update...hardware related lol? ie the 3850 agp should never be bought by anybody, unless they want to rip all their hair out [me]. well anyway now

not only that but, every game feels slow and sluggish, im sure its related to directx not being properly utilized. And its really ticking me off right now. I just have no clue what to do.

..and under directx it lists my monitor as being a Generic Television??? LOL. Sometimes you have to laugh at computer problems in order to stay sane.

10. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

I've had 'generic monitor' come up all the time, but never generic television. You're not using TV mode are you? :p

Oh and if you think this card is a headache, you have no idea. Look up the thread here about the Gecube X1950XT... wow, what a pain in the backside!