1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

gspot results, need help

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by sgull, Jul 21, 2008.

1. sgull

sgull Member

The Gspot capture as shown below is from a video file I have on my Vista pc and which I get no audio to play using WMP11. Video seems to play fine. From what appears in the "Proposed Codec Solutions and Tests" could someone suggest the specific course of action I would need to take to make the audio work? thanks.

[​IMG]

2. attar

attar Senior member

Are other mpeg videos ok?
    Is it only 'mono' audio that's the problem - it shows 'monophonic' under audio.
    I don't have Vista and I still run WMP9, so before installing anything, try this in WMP11:

Tools => options => devices => speakers => properties and see if the drop down menu offers anything other than 'Default Direct sound device'.

3. sgull

sgull Member

Yes, other mpeg videos are okay and play both audio and video, but not the ones which have been converted to either DVD or SVCD video format. Only mpeg videos that have been converted to VCD format play both audio and video. To explain more clearly, I have a small collection of videos I downloaded from YouTube. From YouTube these are in .flv format and I have a converter program that enables conversion from the .flv format to various other formats including to VCD format, SVCD format, or DVD format. When I convert one of these .flv videos to either the SVCD or DVD format, I get no audio. But if I convert it VCD format, I get audio along with video just fine. The example provided in the initial post is the file which has been converted to DVD format (and which I get no audio). The following Gspot capture is of the same file but which has been instead converted to VCD format (and which I get audio). As you can see, it says monophonic under audio also, but the audio plays fine with this conversion so I don't think because it happens to be mono that could be the problem.

[​IMG]

I tried the suggestion of clicking Tools => options => devices => speakers => properties and see if the drop down menu offers anything other than 'Default Direct sound device'. However, I was unable to do so with WMP11, as there are no such options/selections available through the player.

I strongly suspect my issue is due to not having the required codec(s) or filters or something installed on my pc. As a further side note, if I convert one of these .flv videos to .avi format, I get audio but no video. I would like to be able to decipher (or have someone who understands better help me decipher) the Gspot "proposed solutions and tests" to tell me what exactly I need to get these files to play right. And I would like to be able to play them with my WMP11 and Vista machine, not some other obscure player. And I want to stay away from codec packs and just acquire any needed codecs on an individual basis. So, if it's possible from my posted Gspot captures here, can someone point me in the right direction or give me a clue as to whats going on? thanks

4. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I took a look at the gspot audio section and it says type
    mpeg 2 layer 3. I looked at vob and mpeg 2 on my own system, and
    they were either mpeg 1 layer 2, ac3, or LPCM.

Perhaps it's the wrong output format.

5. attar

attar Senior member

6. sgull

sgull Member

Based on replies then I'll probably go ahead and install an MPEG-2 decoder (thanks for quite helpful link attar) and see what happens. What throws me off, though, is why does the Audio box say "Codec installed" if I apparently still need to acquire the codec to make the audio work?

7. attar

attar Senior member

MPEG1 (VCD) usually has mp2 audio.
    Short of installing another player (VLC uses it's own codecs) I don't know what else to suggest.

8. sgull

sgull Member

I went to the Deskshare site and downloaded the mpeg-2 decoder shown there at the bottom of the page and installed it onto my pc. But I still have the same issue with absolutely no change. Could someone clue me in on why even though the Gspot results for the file indicate I have the audio codecs installed I still get no audio? What the heck is the problem anyway?

9. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Do the media files play in VLC ?

10. sgull

sgull Member

The media files will probably play in VLC fine (both the audio and video), although I would have to download and install the program to find out for sure. I would prefer to get the files to play with audio through WMP11, since I am familiar with WMP and many of its features and not that excited about the prospect of having to learn the ins and outs of another media player. If it would help to troubleshoot why the audio of these files doesn't play with WMP by seeing if it plays with VLC I guess I could try. Still confused why if Gspot says I have the audio codecs installed why then doesn't the audio play?

11. davexnet

davexnet Active member

I think it's something to do with the audio format. The bit and cycle
    rates are neither svcd nor dvd compliant.

The converter program is creating non-standard output.

If you're going to have to go in and "fix" the audio now,
    perhaps you should review alternatives to the converter.

For example, the audio bitrate is very low, probably the same as it
    was from the FLV. It needs to be resampled to bring it up to spec.

12. sgull

sgull Member

Yes I checked and the audio bitrate of the .flv file was 57 kb/s (about the same as the file after conversion with my converter to "dvd format" which was 58 kb/s). I'll go ahead and review alternatives to my present converter, then let you know how things turn out. Here's a starting point I found: http://forum.videohelp.com/topic291597.html
    If during the conversion of the .flv to mpeg2 the file needs to be "resampled" up to a particular spec to play the audio correctly, about what range of spec are we talking about?

13. davexnet

davexnet Active member

You should aim for something like this:
    DVD 48KHZ, SVCD 44.1KHz, 224 Kbps

If you need to do it after the fact,
    The free version of Tmpgenc 2.5 can do it easily.

Just specify the "audio source" check "setting" and press "start"
    Remux the new audio with the M2v video.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  14. sgull

sgull Member

With the free version of TMPGEnc when I try to open the file in the "Audio Source" box I immediately get the error message "can not open or unsupported." Also, in this program I don't see an option for MPEG-2 Layer 3 which is apparently the type of audio of the file, according to Gspot. Confused. Please advise further, thanx.

15. davexnet

davexnet Active member

You don't want mpeg 2 layer 3, mpeg 1 layer 2, which Tmpgenc provides
    is the proper format.

What format audio are you feeding tmpgenc ?
    The original format in the FLV file? What format is it?
    If you're unable to get it to work,
    download the free Audio Editor Audacity 1.26
    http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows

Open your audio in there. Save it as uncompressed
    Windows Wav file (PCM). Use this as the input to tmpgenc.

16. sgull

sgull Member

What I tried feeding into the Tmpgenc Audio Source box was a file which was originally a .flv file and which had been converted from .flv (VP6 Flash Video) to what my converter program considers "dvd format." The specs of this file, after the conversion, are what is shown in the first Gspot capture I entered in this thread (first post). As shown, and mentioned, the audio codec Gspot discovers, is that the audio is MPEG2 Layer 3. From what I am understanding now, that is an improper format and I can rectify this by converting it to MPEG1 Layer 2 using the Tmpgenc program. I was going to try but got the error I described in previous post when I tried to open the file in the Tmpgenc audio source box. I did not try to feed the original .flv file into the Tmpgenc audio source box. What apparently am I doing wrong to get the error message?

17. davexnet

davexnet Active member

You may not be doing anything wrong, sometimes Tmpg has problems
    with certain kinds of input (it's not alone in this).

There's a very simple program on the net, FLV extract -
    http://moitah.net/

You open the prog and drag the FLV onto it - and it extracts the
    component parts. Give it a try. Will Tmpgenc read this audio?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  18. sgull

sgull Member

Okay I can give FLV-Extract a try, as suggested. Is one of my goals to be able to resample the audio portion of the (converted) file to a higher bitrate and then with the higher bitrate then re-convert the MPEG-2 Layer 3 file to a MPEG-1 Layer 2 format? If so I am somewhat unclear as to the affirmation that MPEG-2 Layer 3 is the improper audio codec for the file for DVD. I am of the understanding that MPEG-1 is for VCD, and that MPEG-2 is for DVD. http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/663054#4027260
    And I want to be able to play the file in DVD format on my pc and in addition be able to burn it onto a DVD which will play back on either on a pc or a stand-alone DVD player. Further comment/advise appreciated.

19. davexnet

davexnet Active member

Use the audio from the FLV that FLV Extract creates.
    It becomes the input to Tmpgenc as I mentioned before.

Enter tmpg settings and set sampling frequency 48000,
    channel mode Stereo and bit rate 224.

Tmpg will create a .mp2 file.
    Multiplex this in with the original video.

20. sgull

sgull Member

I extracted the audio from the .flv file using FLV Extract. I input the extraction into the audio source box of Tmpgenc. When I pressed the start button there was an immediate error message which stated "can not open or unsupported" .