1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DD-WRT Configuration

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by core2kid, Jul 21, 2008.

1. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I have a WRT54G v5 and I flashed it to DD-WRT firmware. When I power up the router now it tells me that I have no WAN IP. How do I configure it? I have optimum online on a Scientific Atlantic modem.

2. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

As far as i'm aware you need to use the Micro version of DD-WRT for the v5 of this router, is that the one you used ?
    (i have a v5 also, but didn't want to risk updating mine with DD-WRT when i first heard of it, so i've only used it on my Buffalo WHR-G54S's with 100% success and months of uptime) (v23 SP2)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2008
  3. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I used a tutorial ment specifically for the V5 of the router. I can't find that tutorial now but it was somewhat similar to this:
    http://www.scorpiontek.org/portal/content/view/27/36/
    Currently I am using my old router but I feel if I get this working it'll work a whole lot better than my D-Link router.

4. creaky

The v5 of the Linksys can only use a micro version (not much memory i think is the reason) but as i say i haven't flashed my v5. The tut you linked to sounds like a really new Release Candidate (v24 RC6.2), maybe either try an older version. Have just been doing a little googling, this is all i've found so far - http://hisamudin.com/2008/03/29/rev...ksys-official-firmware-for-wrt54g-v50-router/
    - not much help other than saying that v23 sp2 is very good which i know already.
    I just noticed in that link that there's newer firmare than i had on my v5, but once i updated my v5 to official Linksys firmware 1.02.0 or 1.02.2, can't remember exactly now, the v5 was 100% stable, for months at a time. What version of the Linksys firmware did you have prior to DD-WRT ?.
    I've put the v5 away as an emergency router, didn't want to mess with it or sell it, maybe another option is that you just go back to newer Linksys official firmware ??

5. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Actually I got the router from a friend who said it stopped giving a wireless signal. I didn't see what firmware it had on it but i did see if it had a wireless signal and it did. Is the firmware supposed to get the WAN IP as soon as its rebooted or do you have to type that in manually?
    Can you link me to the Linksys firmware that was stable?

Thanks.

6. creaky

I honestly can't remember if you type in the WAN IP or rely on the Linksys to find it.

As to official firmware, here's a link - http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...nksys/Common/VisitorWrapper&lid=3740141396B07

i couldn't drill down any further but you can't miss it. Looks like they have v1.02.5 listed as their newest dated Mar 03, 2008.

During my searching i found a couple older threads that i'd posted in, they may or may not help any. -
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/561513
    http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/560287

If i recall correctly i was up to 1.02.2. Here's the changelog - http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Sate...193779462021&ssbinary=true&lid=8723837401B149

7. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I have v23 SP1. I tried reverting back to Linksys firmware but it kept saying Update Failed. How do I revert?

8. creaky

9. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I am trying that but the utility keeps saying "Unable to get responses from server" when attempting the step on the 2nd page. Is the router bricked? I can still access the router from IE/Firefox.

10. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Never mind, it worked so far, I had to do the following:

You have to use the tftp software from linksys.
    1) reset the setting from dd-wrt
    2) set your computer to static ip (ip:192.168.1.xxx, subnet mask: 255.255.255.0)
    3) make sure you have a ping
    4) set the tftp to the firmware but don't click on "upgrade" button yet
    5) once you are ready right after you push the "upgrade" button, power cycle the router. You will see the progress bar moving.

11. creaky

sounds good so far..

12. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Well I went back to it and had the same problem. Then I figured out that I needed to reset my modem to get it to work. I'm thinking of putting DD-WRT back on it now and trying it out. I had a 40% signal on Linksys FW on my PS3. My Dlink DWL-2310 had 80.

13. creaky

ok, keep me updated, i'll see if there's anything else i can do to help.

14. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

Ok, I flashed it to DD-WRT v24 and its stable. I also but a heatsink on the CPU inside the router and its going at 225 MHz for around 4 hrs. Now I have 1 problem. I play the game Halo online and I need to forward ports to it. It worked before the router switch so I know its a port forwarding thing.
    I need these ports forwarded:
    • 80 (Transmission Control Protocol [TCP]) - Halo looks to see if there is a Halo update available. If there is an update, Halo downloads the update through this port.
    • 2302 (User Datagram Protocol [UDP]) - the game host listens on this port.
    • 2303 (UDP) - the game client connects to the game host through this port.

Now I want it forwarded to all computers that connect to the router. I have 1 desktop wired, 3 wireless desktops and 1 wireless laptop and occasionally friends laptops that connect to it wirelessly. How do I do this?

15. creaky

That's good news re getting it working under DD-WRT. I'm not at home so can't tell you exactly how to do the port forwarding but it is very easy to set, the only confusing thing is that there's (i think) about 3 different tabs to set the forwarding on and with not being at home i can't access my routers to tell you which tabs they are. I'll see if i can google them for you..

edit- here you are - http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Port_Forwarding

..i haven't re-read it yet, any experimenting i'd done with port forwarding gave the same (positive) results whichever tab i used so i lost interest in investigating further (i was only fowarding torrent ports anyway which is easy).
    The 3 tabs i mean are - Port Range Forwarding, Port Forwarding and Port Triggering. I'd rather there was only the one tab to setup forwarding on.

All said and done, i find DD-WRT to work 100% fine, i've found v23 sp2 to be virtually bulletproof, as i say i have 2 DD-WRT routers running WDS between them, and Static DHCP for all pc's and various xboxes. I just daren't mess with it in updating as it works so well :)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008
  16. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I tried that and it worked partially. I left the IP 0.0.0.0 and when playing Halo online. I got 1 person to join but my friend couldn't with a "Reconnecting" error. Now I never tried again with the IP but I'd hate to do it with every computer in the house. there has to be a way to just open those ports to everything. How did you do it?

I currently have my router with 251 Tx rate and 250MHz overclock on a heatsink and fan. I might remove the fan though, the heatsink was cooling it well enough. The router as of now is pretty stable with an awesome transfer rate. Now I hope my friend doesn't charge me for it seeing that it works fine.

Edit: Won't the IP of each computer change after a reboot because the router is set to auto assign IP's

17. creaky

- i use 'Static DHCP' ie the router doles out specific ip addresses to specific mac addresses.
    I don't do online gaming (haven't for donkeys years) but i do know that port 80 is the standard http port.

I setup a range for the static dhcp ip addresses (it's in the first setup screen of the router) for something like 20 ip addresses. For these addresses there's a static dhcp section, i think it's in the Administration/Services tab. In there i've setup a list of mac addresses, a sensible/obvious name, and the static ip address that i want to be (permanently) assigned to those pc's/xboxes.

It works great. I no longer have to guess the ip address of any machines or worry that the ip address keeps changing. This also helps if you want to forward ports as you can specify the actual machine(s) to use for torrenting, without it breaking because the ip address changes (as the ip address will not change if you assign static dhcp addresses).

i didn't see much difference with upping the Tx rate (and i didn't want to risk using the highest Tx rate, on my Buffalos i think the max is 281 or thereabouts), but good job if you've experienced an improvement (just don't push it too far). That heatsink is probably sufficient.

see first comment

18. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

I turned on UnUP, I found that setting and that supposidly forwards ports automatically.

Now the Tx rate and overclocking the processor. What does what? The fans a bit loud and I'd prefer to just cool the processor on a heatsink.

To cool it off, I basically got 4 of these on it
    [​IMG]
    Mine though are by cooler master and are copper and 1 of them is the size of 2 of the ones above.

This is the fan I have on it
    [​IMG]

I took of the top cover to silence it a bit more but still pretty loud. It doesn't sound like it'll be going for that long being on 24/7

19. creaky

My Buffalo routers have a max theoretical 'xmit' transmitter (ie radio) power of 251mW, i have left mine on the safe and reliable (and boring!) default of 28mW.

Here's an example snippet i found, but i don't have any WRT54G-specific info to hand ie i don't know what the max safe max Transmit Power is -

I'm turning in for the night but will see if i can dig up any more info in the morning.

20. core2kid

core2kid Regular member

yea, I had 36 errors over 3 hours at that Tx rate. Gonna put it down to 100 and see if I get errors or not. I'm thinking 100-200Tx and 225MHz router with passive cooling should work fine.