AfterDawn: Tech news

8x Blu-ray burner coming from Buffalo

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 26 Jul 2008 2:25 User comments (13)

8x Blu-ray burner coming from Buffalo Buffalo has announced that it is releasing the first-ever Blu-ray burners with the ability to record at 8X speeds.
The company has an external and internal 8X drive, dubbed the
BR-816U2 and BR-816FBS and each will be able to write dual-layer BD50s at the new speed meaning in theory all 50GB can be filled up in 15 minutes. Rewritable BD can be written at 2x while CDs and DVDs can write at max speeds.

The external drive has a USB 2.0 interface as well as a eSATA connector providing the same bandwidth as if the drive were attached internally.

Each of the drives comes with Cyberlink software for playback, authoring and burning of Blu-ray content.

The drives will hit Japan in August for the equivalent of $382 USD(for the internal) and $435 for the external.

Previous Next  

13 user comments

126.7.2008 15:02

Thats not bad at all but it could be cheaper, Mayhap when this is released it will push the price on older Blu-ray burner drives down a bit.

We will see, bet the house pirates cant wait.

226.7.2008 17:25

I wasnt even aware that 50gig br discs were even out yet. I bet they will cost as much as 30 bucks each :)

326.7.2008 19:14

Good luck finding 8x disks to burn at the speed !

426.7.2008 19:18

The problem isn't so much the price of blu ray burners but the price and availability of blu ray blank media - £ 8 ( $ 16 ) for a singlelayer disc in the UK and £ 20 ( $ 40 ) for 50 Gb dual layer isn't going to attract anybody but the seriously rich or stupid at the moment - we sit and wait for prices to fall.

I don't think i would risk 8 X burning even when the discs become available - imagine making coasters at those prices !!!!

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 26 Jul 2008 @ 7:20

527.7.2008 05:59
13thHouR
Inactive

Originally posted by DXR88:
Thats not bad at all but it could be cheaper, Mayhap when this is released it will push the price on older Blu-ray burner drives down a bit.

We will see, bet the house pirates cant wait.
it is far cheaper to purchase the movie than even blank media. you know that dvd's in the UK are priced from £5 for a brand new film and £1.50 for an older title.

the breakthrough you have completely missed while trying to give credit to a format of limited use is the ability to burn at 8x maybe in 10 years when the cost of the format is not being held artificially high it may be viable for a multitude of uses but as of now it is a complete waste of money either for home or business use.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 27 Jul 2008 @ 6:01

627.7.2008 09:01

The market for this burner would be those with one of the new AVCHD high def camcorders.

I've had the Canon HF-100 for about a month now and I've been burning AVCHD discs on regular DVD-R blanks. However, the single layer -R's can hold only about 40 minutes of 14 - 17 Mbps video at 1920x1080 resolution.

Now that Final Cut Express and Roxio Toast have support for AVCHD editing and burning to BluRay discs I can now put more video on a disc. I'll be taking the Canon and my Mac Book Pro to Beijing. I'll hopefully get a BluRay burner when I get home and get at least 2 hours worth of video on a single disc.

727.7.2008 14:11

Quote:
it is far cheaper to purchase the movie than even blank media. you know that dvd's in the UK are priced from £5 for a brand new film and £1.50 for an older title.

the breakthrough you have completely missed while trying to give credit to a format of limited use is the ability to burn at 8x maybe in 10 years when the cost of the format is not being held artificially high it may be viable for a multitude of uses but as of now it is a complete waste of money either for home or business use.
perhaps you should read the article before you post, its funny how you pull the argument that media is expensive, well no shit sherlock how long did it take you to make that conclusion.

don't start with me. im really not in the mood.

827.7.2008 17:29

the way it goes till next summer we will see 16X burners cheaper than 100euros.
At this point i dont think that anyone is burning BD's at he's home, at my work we burn BD, but we do it mostly to give for recycle old discs and HDD's and of course to save a lot of space.

928.7.2008 08:21
atomicxl
Inactive

I've got no interest. I think the home user's need for optical disc storage is dead. I purchased a 500gb usb2 hdd for $109.

BR burner is close to $400 and a 25gb disc is $20 at Best Buy. Just doing quick math, I can see that 500gb of Blu-Ray storage will cost me almost 5x the price of doing it on an external HDD.

Not to mention the rise of TVs with VGA inputs, media streaming on home networks, and the rise of home networks (I think anyone who even has a blu-ray player and/or hdtv likely is fairly tech savy and has a home network).

1028.7.2008 11:59
emugamer
Inactive

Originally posted by error5:
The market for this burner would be those with one of the new AVCHD high def camcorders.

I've had the Canon HF-100 for about a month now and I've been burning AVCHD discs on regular DVD-R blanks. However, the single layer -R's can hold only about 40 minutes of 14 - 17 Mbps video at 1920x1080 resolution.

Now that Final Cut Express and Roxio Toast have support for AVCHD editing and burning to BluRay discs I can now put more video on a disc. I'll be taking the Canon and my Mac Book Pro to Beijing. I'll hopefully get a BluRay burner when I get home and get at least 2 hours worth of video on a single disc.
Same here. I have the Vixia HF-10. I see a big use for a bluray burner. And I'll be ready to buy one by next spring/summer when I build my new rig. Even if the media still expensive then, I wouldn't be opposed to getting it so that I can have more flexibilty with how I edit my HD home video. Just because some people have no use for this, doesn't mean it's a total write-off. When it comes to Home use, like family video or any home movie stuff, you really can't compare it to the price of HDD storage. Some people hold that at a high value. They are the ones who will drive the price down for the other haters to finally find it worth it :P

1129.7.2008 12:00

Originally posted by error5:

@error5: FCE4 has the limitation of down-converting your video to 1440 x 1080 anamorphic for editing. This is the maximum resolution that it can handle at this time. Rebuilding the software to support full HD may have been to big an undertaking. Native 1920 x 1080 support should come in the next update. The good news is your transcoded video is still 1920 x 1080 - so no need to re-transcode. Enjoy your trip.

123.8.2008 11:41

I agree about HDD's. I can get a 700 GB HDD at Wal Mart for under $200. That can surly store a lot of 4.7GB DvD movies I Download using Graboid. I can afford to store the entire DvD image on my HDD instead of having to burn to DvD and I get the menus and all.

One more thing those thumb flash drives and getting cheaper and cheaper and with more gigs. I seen one now with 16 GB. Wow for a flash drive that would be kewl. And it uses a technology that is better than a standard HDD meaning it will last longer. You can store lots of 700GB DivX and XviD movies on one of those too.

1322.2.2010 03:08

Originally posted by atomicxl:
I've got no interest. I think the home user's need for optical disc storage is dead. I purchased a 500gb usb2 hdd for $109.

BR burner is close to $400 and a 25gb disc is $20 at Best Buy. Just doing quick math, I can see that 500gb of Blu-Ray storage will cost me almost 5x the price of doing it on an external HDD.

Not to mention the rise of TVs with VGA inputs, media streaming on home networks, and the rise of home networks (I think anyone who even has a blu-ray player and/or hdtv likely is fairly tech savy and has a home network).
Dam they have come down just purchased one of those 500 gigs for 50 dollars 2.0usb

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive