AfterDawn Forums

how to tell the difference liteon drive and benq drive.

This discussion thread has 40 messages.

okay so i know benq drive u can hack it and lite on drive you cant. is there a picture that i can see which i can determine which is which. because so far, both look alike. other people recommend me to take apart my xbox 360 and look at it from that way but i dont know how to take apart my xbox 360. so if any of u guys could post a pictures that tell me which is benq and which is lite on. i would be greatly appreciated. thank you.
▼▼ This topic has 39 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
homesick Suspended due non-functional email address
i think there is a way to look through and see a certain color wire, but i have never heard of a confirmation that that works. just take it apart man, you wont hurt anything and it takes roughly 20 mins the first time maybe 30 if you are a total n00b. just make sure you heat up the warranty sticker ans peel it off and stick it to some wax paper. that way the guy who was going to mod your box dosnt screw that part of it up for you. if you do it yourself at least you know you did it right. i very rarely trust someone else working on my equipment. as for the drive, once you've opened the case it says what it is.

i dont think u understad what i said. i think is there a way i can tell if it's lite on or benq without dismantling my xbox 360.. of course i know u will know what drive it wil be if u take it apart man. u not answering my question.
There are a couple ways first off check the lot # of your system on http://www.360drives.com and here is another way off this site http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=651546&st=0 .

...........................:SiG cReAtEd By Phantom69:............................
homesick Suspended due non-functional email address
I SAID THERE IS A WAY TO LOOK THROUGH A HOLE IN YOUR XBOX TO SEE A CERTAIN COLOR WIRE, THAT COLOR DETERMINES WHAT DRIVE YOU HAVE.

Originally posted by shummyr:
Heres How To Tell If You Have A Lite-On Drive Or Not

WITHOUT CRACKING THE CASE

Remove your faceplate. There is a hole right below the "XBOX 360" text on your dvd bezel. Use a flash light and if you see white wires then you have a BenQ. If you see yellow wires you have a Lite-on
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Aug 2008 @ 21:41
what holes in the xbox 360.. can u send me a picture in terms of which hole to look at. because there are alot of holes on the xbox 360.. please be more specific. thank you
Look go to this site http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/man...box_360_dvd.htm and this is how you tell if you have a Benq drive or Lite-On.If you see white wire then it is a Benq drive if it is yellow then its a Lite-On drive.I listed another site as well,but it doesn't show really good pictures like this one does.

...........................:SiG cReAtEd By Phantom69:............................
this thread deserves a sticky
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Aug 2008 @ 21:50
thank you so much for the pictures.. but i have to face the fact that when i use the flashlight and look at it, i see two yellow wires.. i had a feeling it's lite on, but i was kinda in denial because i crossed my fingers and wished it was white. thanks anyway.
can't you go and return it?
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 03 Aug 2008 @ 22:54
no, ths xbox 360 i didnt buy it from some retailer store, I had it a while ago and the drive used to be samsung but then i had the ring of death and had to ship to microsoft. they fixed my xbox 360 but at the same time changed my dvd drive..
Originally posted by L-Burna:
Look go to this site http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/man...box_360_dvd.htm and this is how you tell if you have a Benq drive or Lite-On.If you see white wire then it is a Benq drive if it is yellow then its a Lite-On drive.I listed another site as well,but it doesn't show really good pictures like this one does.
This seems a little risky to me. I don't know if I like the idea of jamming a paperclip into my 360. Isn't there another way? I actually don't mind taking mine apart I just don't want to void my warranty in case it's a lite-on. Is there a way to gently heat the sticker off?
You don't jam a paperclip in the drive to check to see if its a Lite-On its all visual.The only thing you do is take the faceplate off,and use a flashlight or some source of light.I'm not sure I follow you on the paperclip unless you have to manually eject the drive.Read what it says off the site before doing anything it clearly says look at #3 in the picture off the site to find what type of drive you have,not #1 or #2 in the picture.

you're right, i missed that. I thought the paperclip was meant to move stuff out of the way to see the wires, my bad. I'm assuming this is the definitive method of doing this, i mean it would be kinda weird for there to be white wires only in random Benqs.
Yeah its pretty good in terms of identifying the Lite-On drives and I haven't seen it fail yet.I feel sorry for johncchc for getting one of these drives,but I don't think it is hack proof.I'm sure something will come out in due time for the Lite-On drives.I have been checking out the discussion on xbox-scene for awhile now about these drives.A couple people said c4ever has said its going to be hacked and I'm anxious to see what he has found.I really do think a hack will exist,but I'm not actually sure what type of hack it will be.I think it will be complicated for regular users though,almost as bad as the Hitachi 79 drives when it needed a chip to enable the debug mode for read/write functions.The Hitachi 79 drives have just got over using chips after looking at the 79 unlock tool,so this drive has got a ways to go before anything easy comes out for it.I hope it doesn't take long to figure out,but the fact is it could be awhile.

one question stil remains in my head. if i buy a samsung drive one ebay and replace my lite on drive with the samsung drive i purchased on ebay.. will this work? just curious...
no, because you need the key from the liteon.

ps2: v7 scph-39001 - independence exploit - hdloader 0.8c - maxtor 300gb hdd
(+[__]%) psp slim ta-085v1: 6.60 PRO B10
wii (powered by bootmii/priiloader): 4.1u - d2x v10beta53-alt (base 56) - configurable usb loader v70r51/devolution r188 - wd scorpio black 7200rpm 320gig w/ ams venus ds2 enclosure

got a whole lot more to list . . .
Yeah like cee43ja1 said the key is needed,but we also need the dvd id string in order to use the spoofing method as well in order to replace the drive.At the moment there is no way to read/write to the drive controller chip on the Lite-On drives.We need to be able to read the chip first in order to obtain the dvd drive key,and dvd id string.By the way I just wanted to add a pinout diagram has been displayed on xbox-scene thanks given to Team Modfreakz.

jerzmob Suspended due non-functional email address
hmm on my 360 i can't tell what it is. Instead all i see is the black cover on that small opening. i tried to see if i can push it in some but nothing. it's kind of hard to explain. I do see on the pic for #3 viewing but when i look at my 360...again...all i see is black with a cover like it's preventing me from looking at the type of wire.
You probably have a Hitachi drive check the dvd tray as well http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/Xbox_360_DVD_Drive_Comparison.htm .If the dvd drive tray is displayed as a Benq let me know.There are a couple ways to check,but for identifying Benq and Lite-On drives check the tray first.If it displays as a Benq then proceed to look for #3 on the picture from the site I posted in my previous post.If it displays white wire then it is a Benq if it is yellow then it is a Lite-On.I have a feeling you have a Hitachi drive,as you mentioned it doesn't have a hole to look into.

okay you are right. it seems that i have a hitachi drive...so am i out of luck to flash my dvd drive??? also i heard there are different versions of this drive as well. 47,46 and a 78??? not sure if those are right #s. i know i am sounding like a total noob and i will admit it that i am. If anything, am i required to dismantle my 360 in order to find out the version of my dvd drive??? Also, would you recommend getting that xcm 360 opening case tool or is there another method in opening my case up??? thanks for all the help.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 07 Aug 2008 @ 9:19
All Hitachi drives can be flashed,and yeah the best way to check the drive version out is by opening the system up.I use the Access Pro Toolkit when opening any console,plus its cheap and works on a number of other things as well.If you need more help check out this guide for flashing your system http://www.360mods.net/tutorial/Textbook.pdf and here is a guide for opening the Xbox 360 http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/repair/Xbox-360-Disassembly.htm .Good luck and if you need any more help let us know.

thanks for all the info. i ordered the tool kit to disassemble my 360. i'll post back once i find out the version b/c i have a question regarding that sata cable section. i think i might have to also order that.

EDIT: One last question, can i play original xbox backups as well???
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2008 @ 8:31
never mind,, u know I did today.. i traded my unmodded xbox 360 for a modded xbox 360.. the drive was samsung and it was modded. the only problem now is that sometimes when i put the backups in the drive, and when i try to close the drive, it keeps ejecting.. sometimes i have to attempt like 4 or 5 times for the drive to fully closed. idk why it does that.
This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.