1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I encode 5.1 audio with FFMPEG and WinFF?

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by Deathblis, Aug 4, 2008.

1. Deathblis

Deathblis Member

I don't know how to phrase this any clearer than the title. Here is the line between the <params></params> bracket in my WinFF preset file:

-vcodec libx264 -b 1600k -acodec libdts -ab 448k -sameq -qmin 10

I have the K-Lite Mega Codec Pack installed, so all the FFMPEG and AC3 stuff is there. But when I try either -acodec liba52 or -acodec ac3 and press the Convert button, all I get is console box that flashes on-screen for a second or so - the conversion fails. I have Aften, I have access to the SurCode DTS codec, and I have the eac3to package. I just need to know how to get one of these to work with FFMPEG, and what switch I need to use to call it to -acodec.

I'm trying to convert .mkv files to .mp4. I can also use .wav and .avi, but no other container format may be used. I don't want to use half a dozen programs and go throuh twice as many steps either. It should be possible and easy to convert a .mkv file into either .mp4, .avi., or .wav. De-muxing/Remuxing doesn't work ether, so don't bother suggesting it. Also please note that I can't use -acodec libfaac as the Xbox 360 can't read this audio format as far as I now. I converted two files successfully to .mp4 using -acodec libx264 and -acodec libfaac but the resulting .mp4 won't play in the Xbox 360, so that method doesn't work.

Appreciate your help!
    - Deathbliss

2. Deathblis

Deathblis Member

Ok, so using this code:

-vcodec libxvid -b 3000k -acodec ac3 -ab 384k -sameq -qmin 10

I can convert, relatively quickly, a .mkv file to a .avi file which plays on the 360. However the 5.1 sound is slightly off - everything seems rotated one speaker over to the right. So the center is coming out of my right front speaker for some reason :/

I'm pretty sure aac won't work, as this will not play on the 360. So what other options for 5.1 encoding do I have? Also do I need the -qmin 10 tag for a .avi file? Any other tags I should have here? Is there any way to copy the settings from the original file, and use those settings with a different encoder?

Appreciate your help!
    - Deathbliss

3. Deathblis

Deathblis Member

No help at all huh?
    - Deathbliss