1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nokia E71 Unlocking from '3' network.

Discussion in 'Nokia - Unlocking' started by skipzoid, Aug 6, 2008.

1. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

HI, I bought a PAYG Nokia E71, couldnt get it anywhere unlocked, many claimed to have them but when it came down to it they quoted 5-10 days delivery and didnt actually have it in stock. So after waiting my second lot of 10 days from two differnt suppliers I went to the only place that actually had one. The '3' Shop.

Its a great phone, and the guy in the shop said (althought maybe shouldnt have) it can be unlocked very easyly.

I've tralled the internet for two days on and off trying to find a reliable source to get this unlocked.

The question; Sorry a bit long winded..

How/Where can I get this Nokia E71 unlocked ?

I've changed the product code to be a standard E71 and performed the firmware update, so now its looking like a standard E71.

thanks..

2. JoeGons

JoeGons Active member

Hi,

[bold] E71 [/bold]

[bold]BB5, ASCI11 and DCT4 PLUS;[/bold]

We are unable to do these .

BB5 type phones such as 2600c,3110c,5200,5300,6085,
    6280,6300,6500,6630, 6680,6681, 6682 or
    any N-Series phones,N-70, N-90 or E series,E50,E60 etc
    or Tracfones can not be unlocked by this method for
    use with another Network. Not yet.

Only the original service provider can provide a code to
    unlock them. Our Calculators can not do codes for these.

[bold]Be careful.
    I understand that you only have three chances. If you
    hard lock the phone by entering wrong codes, not even
    the original Provider can unlock it by code. [/bold]
    [bold]ALSO[/bold]
    These models cannot be unlocked as yet by this method.

Those below are ASIC 11 or DCT4 Plus

Our Calculators cannot generate codes for these.
    There is computer software available and being developed
    for new hardware that will unlock these.

ASIC-11 is a new type of lock.

ASIC 11 and DCT4 Plus examples.

1110i RH-93, 1112, 1112i, 2310, 2610.
    (1600b V 5.01 RH-65)

1200, 1208, 1650, 2626, 2630, 2650, 2652, 2760.

The original service provider can provide a code to unlock them.
    Should be doable by cable+hardware.

BB5, 6030 RM-225

Not doable by FREE means.
    Only the original service provider can provide a code to
    unlock them or a Professional Shop with Equipment
    except the 6061 RH-98,
    only your network can unlock this model.

JG
    I will not do promotions here.

[bold]For a full list.[/bold]

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/405992

http://www.nokia-tuning.net/index.php?s=dct

3. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

Ahh.

Should I ignore the web sites that claim they can provide a code if I give them my IMEI and some money ?

4. JoeGons

JoeGons Active member

Yep.
    There is an obscenely expensive bit of software I have heard about that I do not believe many have.
    If you have messed with it, your Provider can give you the code.
    Take it or mail it to a professional.
    J

5. amcis

amcis Member

Hi,

You will find that 3 is one of the only companies that will give you the UNLOCK code over the phone, for free!!

give them a call, and your problems should be solved.

Good luck.

Amcis.

6. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

No such luck unfortunatly, in my experiane 'three' have been the worst providor to deal with.

They want £15 for the code, which I am happy to pay, but then say I cannot have it until the handset is 12 months old ;( !!

7. amcis

amcis Member

Ahh ok.. Sorry to hear that, I had my E71 with 3 for 2 days, rang them they gave me the code to unlock it straight away..

but I guess it must be an OZ thing...

8. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

You've been lucky I think,

I've been fed a load of horlicks, they claim they needed to get it from Nokia which is a lie to start with, then they told me it would take 30 days to generate the code, another lie (they dont generate - they have already) and then yesterday they called me to say that its now available, but becuase of an administration error whereby my handset unknown to me had already been issued to someone else then returned and now issued to me that their system will not allow the display of the code becuase the handset is allocated to this previous acount and not mine..

I've NEVER been so badly treated by ANY customer server ANYWHERE!, '3' really dive to new depths when it comes to having no-idea of how to look after a customer.

More horlicks I was fed today, when I commented about the appauling quality of the line via the internet to India they told me it was amongst the best technology used in the world !!, perhaps they ought to look at the rest of the world and realise just who they are competing with and what significant differences there are between them and other providors - I cant wait to get this handset unlocked and throw away the PAYG sim.

Rant over;

On a slightly topic related issue,

I thought I'd updated the firmware - but have made an error - the Nokia firmware update util didnt re-flash it as I thought - when I paid attention to what I'd done the util said that there wasnt a newer version (or words to the affect) and didnt offer me the re-flash option either.

Can someone surgest a source for a flashing util and a current firmware file for a Nokia E71 for home install to irradicate the providors firmware and return it to nokia standard ?

Ta Muchly..

9. JoeGons

JoeGons Active member

We can't help you here.
    Wrong Forum to start with.
    Take the phone to the shop in the market and have it done.
    You can't do it unless you buy about 200 quid in hardware,
    J

10. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

Hardware ?, If Nokia had the firmware on their site accessable via the Nokia Software Updater then I'd have already done it.

I've read in another thread on a different site about firmwares being changed via a utility, but the util isnt being mentioned.

11. JoeGons

JoeGons Active member

12. amcis

amcis Member

It's interesting.. I haven't been too happy with their service over all, and in my home area, where Optus and Telstra offer 3G coverage, 3 roam onto Telstra's 2G coverage.. so at home I do not get all the benefits I got the E71 for!!

I have wanted to update the firmware, and possibly get rid of all the 3 crap on it.. but I cannot find the files or anything anywhere to do so.. Can someone help?

Thanks

13. JoeGons

JoeGons Active member

Last edited: Aug 15, 2008
  14. tmcp

tmcp Member

Hi everyone. I have been searching how to unlock it and debranding. I finally conclude that is no way to debrand this phone till a nokia firmware come out. Now, in other hand, unlock it seems to me to be easier when you buy an iSim or Alpha-Sim BB5 unlocker card.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/unlock-SIM-for-N...246723727QQcmdZViewItem?IMSfp=TL080814094a871

Post your opinion about this unlocker card.

I right about to buy one e71 and i dont want to get stuck in 3 operator.

regards

PS:sorry my english

15. nrlsmith

nrlsmith Member

At least you guys aren't complaining about 'connection error' I have the E71 on 3 and live in Twickenham and cant complete a call. I have to keep manually changing to the Orange 2G network. Thats why I came on here. I believe that debranding the phone is the only way it will stay on the 2G network.

Any ideas anyone????

16. skipzoid

skipzoid Member

in the hope someone doesn't point out this is off topic but....

I know that the '3' coverage in the Richmond / Twickenham / Teddington are is really bad, outside its barely useable and inside away from the windows forget it, its like having a phone in the 80's again where you needed to stand on one leg whilst balancing on the chair holding a coat hanger in the air to get any sort of reception. Glad I'm on T-mobile it works a treat for me.

Back on topic, I tried an isim and they are hard to get into the phone because the slot is so tight and even when it had been apparantly programmed for my handset, it still didn't work.

Its been said before; Get the unlock code from the provider or send it away to be unlocked. Home brew or calculator solutions don't seem to be currently available, I've Spent a lot of hours and sent a lot of emails asking people for these and the above answer is what keeps coming back.

As far as debranding, people say that expensive equipment is required to reflash, I personally can't accept this as the Nokia Software Updater (NSU) is freely downloadable and is a home solution using only the USB cable that came with the handset. I've spoken to Nokia Customer Services and while the advisor I spoke to wouldn't comit to a date, said it was likely that a firmware update would be available before the end of the year to address some minor bug fixes and this will be an update that can be performed via the NSU.

I've already found the current generic firmware for the E71, but I can't find a utility that will put it into the handset, I'm surprised that some clever person hasn't modified the NSU or written a widget to do this via USB. ??????

17. damndead

damndead Member

Its not possible to unlock Nokia E71 at this moment without the unlock code from your network (three, T-mobile etc). However, I was able to debrand my Nokia E71 by flashing it with Generic firmware.

Step1

Download the flashing software Phoenix:

http://rapidshare.com/files/127260412/Phoenix_2008_20_9_34260_Patched.exe

Step 2

Download the Generic Nokia E71 firmware:

RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0

http://rapidshare.com/files/127286905/RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0.part1.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/127298938/RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0.part2.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/127310599/RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0.part3.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/127322849/RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0.part4.rar
    http://rapidshare.com/files/127335198/RM-346_EURO_100.07.76_v1.0.part5.rar

Step 3:

Flash the firmware to mobile using Phoenix. If you are not sure how then though I have not read myself but there is a guide availble on the internet on how to use Phoenix:

http://www.4shared.com/file/51013479/a12c8744/Phoenix_Service_Software_flashing_guide.html

Happy Flashing!

18. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

dawnshed, removed the advertising links in your sig ASAP!

19. Discmania

Discmania Active member

Hasn't anyone clicked that the reason 3 don't give out the unlock codes happily is because they realise they may be losing a customer. Hence when you call them you need to be really charming and say the only reason you want it is because you're going abroad and want to use a local sim card (to a country like India for instance where 3 have no network). You bet they will then be more hassle-free. I don't mind paying £15 for the code as it avoids breaking the phone completely with some hash of a procedure which surely would then invalidate any guarantee. I'm surprised the codes have not yet been leaked onto the black market.

I have so far had no problems with 3 customer service which, after all is completely free unlike other networks. Just make sure you call them back if they don't call you back.

Admittedly the 3 Network has holes in it, but other Networks have it too. Don't forget the 3G Network is still relatively new compared to the 2G and the 3.5G even newer. I got my E71 from 3 for £70 cheaper than Carphone Warehouse and haven't had any real problems using their network.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2008
  20. FatBogan

FatBogan Member

Well some are selling unlock codes for these on eBay now. After finding out from 3 that only the original purchaser can request an unlock code (I bought mine second hand - including the original receipt, but apparently original purchasers details are recorded against the phone so only they are allowed to request the code) I am trying this as an option will let you know if it works or not...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=120309313526

Mike.