AfterDawn: Tech news

Iomega launches 'Screenplay TV Link' device

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 07 Aug 2008 6:27 User comments (7)

Iomega launches 'Screenplay TV Link' device Iomega announced today the launch of its latest product, the Screenplay TV Link which will also users to play multimedia content they have stored on external HDDs.
The device connects to the storage media using a USB 2.0 connection and has video outputs for HDMI, component and composite. Notably, the device can upscale SD content to 720p and 1080i HD.

Electronista says "MP3, AC3, WAV, WMA, MPEG-1, MPEG-2 (both AVI and VOB) and MPEG-4" are all supported and JPG for pictures. For audio playback, composite RCAs and a coaxial or optical connections are included.

The device itself is based on Iomega's Screenplay technology which has so far been incorporated in their ScreenPlay HD Multimedia drive which was the same principal but had its own included HDD.

The device is available now for $100 USD in stores and online.

Previous Next  

7 user comments

18.8.2008 01:43

IOMEGA Still exists last time i heard a peep out of them it was because there zip drives failed horribly.

i guess streaming devices are the rage these days,

28.8.2008 03:20

sounds like the popcorn hour, but cheaper. yay! im actually interested in these, im tired of storing them in 4.5gb discs.

38.8.2008 09:59

I don't really think you can compare this to popcorn hour (much more codec support, 1080p, etc...)

48.8.2008 13:06
blueroad
Inactive

hmm this actually sounds interesting..and with a pricetag of 91$ u dun hav much to lose

58.8.2008 18:22

Originally posted by DXR88:
IOMEGA Still exists last time i heard a peep out of them it was because there zip drives failed horribly.

i guess streaming devices are the rage these days,
I like iomega. You have to give them credit, that in the late 90's when 3.5's were still the standard disc, they came out with a good product. The 100 mb zip discs were awesome and I bought them. Now, iomega screwed up because it didn't really adapt. Sure they came out with some higher storage discs, but they stagnated.

This is an interesting idea. If I can take an external harddrive with several hundred gigs of movies, and then just hook that up to this device and be able to watch on TV, that is good.

The only problem is that I can already do this with my xbox 360 networked to my computer. So Iomega is still a bit behind.

68.8.2008 18:27

which will also (methinks should read allow)users to play multimedia content they have stored on external HDDs.

my philips dvd player with usb port has been able to do this for nearly 2 years now

78.8.2008 23:33

Quote:
I like iomega. You have to give them credit, that in the late 90's when 3.5's were still the standard disc, they came out with a good product. The 100 mb zip discs were awesome and I bought them. Now, iomega screwed up because it didn't really adapt. Sure they came out with some higher storage discs, but they stagnated.
it was a great idea, but like you said adaption issue's,

I don't see me running out to buy this its great if you don't already have one, or something similar to it it. most stand alone dvd Player/Recorders have usb port witch allow movie play back from most removable device's, only thing that plaques those is the limited codec's
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Aug 2008 @ 11:34

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive