1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Raise volume on MKV file before or during conversion to DVD?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by LGM2008, Aug 20, 2008.

1. LGM2008

LGM2008 Member

Hello ... Does anyone know of a way to raise the volume of the audio track on an MKV file before or during conversion to a DVD? Ideally, it would be a program that could do it during conversion. I've already tried avi2DVD and TMPGEnc Express and neither seems to allow you to adjust the volume in the same step as converting.

Nero? ConvertXtoDVD? Would either of them work? As a last resort, what's the best way to raise the volume in the MKV file before I run it through a conversion program?

Thanks in advance.

2. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Both allow volume adjustments as do AVStoDVD, FAVC, and DVD Flick.

3. LGM2008

LGM2008 Member

I tried ConvertX but the audio boost function didn't seem to work, and I even turned it on high (pulled the slider all the way to the right). Is there a limit to how much it will boost the audio? My MKV file has one AC3 audio stream.

I also tried Nero and I like the interface a lot. I also like how you can set a priority for encoding. But I couldn't figure out where to adjust the volume in Nero Vision. Anyone know? I looked in every menu and submenu but couldn't figure out where that function was.

My preference is to stick with Nero if I can figure out where to adjust the volume.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

In Nero Vision 4. Add your source-> Edit Movie, then hit the 'checkmark' icon (properties) under the preview. A volume box should pop up

5. LGM2008

LGM2008 Member

Thanks, Mystice for your help. I am a little frustrated with Nero now. The first attempt resulted in audio and video seriously out of sync. (I had no similar issues with ConvertX or Avi2DVD using the same source file.) So I googled the problem and saw there is a longstanding issue with Nero Vision regarding this. One suggestion was to turn off Smart Encoding. So I tried it again with this suggestion. Unfortunately I still have the sync issues. I'm going to try once more re-naming Nero's codec files.

Anyone know if there is a definitive answer to the common issue of Nero Vision's out-of-sync audio and video?

6. LGM2008

LGM2008 Member

Just thought I would update this thread after testing this MKV file with various programs. The file is a 3.5 hr MKV with one h.264 video stream and one AC3 audio stream. The audio on this file was low so I was looking for a way to boost it while encoding. Here are the programs tested and my unscientific newbie results and opinions:

1. Nero 8 Ultra Edition -- Serious sync issues which I couldn't resolve. Also encountered issue where program would hang at the end of transcoding though the counter would continue to run.

2. Avi2DVD -- Very good output with HCenc encoder but the older version they use is very slow. Does anyone know how to update this program with the latest version of HCenc? No audio boost.

3. ConvertXToDVD -- Fast and good output. Has audio boost but it won't work with AC3 audio streams (a known limitation of this program). Should work with other types of audio.

4. DVD Flick -- Has audio boost and was fast, but the resulting video had serious audio issues at the end. It started out fine, but towards the end, the audio sounds as if it is in slow motion.

5. TMPGenc Xpress -- To my eyes, the video output wasn't as good as Avi2DVD, The Film Machine, or ConvertXToDVD. It looked grainy in parts. I used the best quality settings for this (as I did for all the programs here whenever possible.) Was not impressed.

6. The FilmMachine -- This is my favorite so far because it gave great output and was relatively fast, and there were no glitches. Like Avi2DVD, it can use the HCenc encoder which I utilized, but it incorporates the latest and faster version which made it 25-30% faster than Avi2DVD. It has an audio boost option which worked on this MKV file, but it is a set amount and limited. I ended up raising the volume first in Avidemux and then running the file through The FilmMachine.

If I could have gotten Nero to work, that would have been my favorite as the video output was very good and I like the all-in-one convenience and the interface. Too bad it has too many glitches.

7. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Look into AVStoDVD. It also uses Hcenc (when needed). You can alter, tweak and preview the AVS script. It has a few basic tweeks, audio boost is one, and you can also enter your own script changes.