1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pc stop booting

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by nacaranda, Aug 30, 2008.

1. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

My problem started by receiving this message" Reboot and select a proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device". At this point I had the the chance of setting up XP again but I did not want to loose my data so I tried some other things such as running repair console. Then the HD with the os started making clicking sounds and now that I have decided to do a clean setup of XP I can't because the only things that I can see is the Intel logo and I can not acces the bios neither reading from my Dvd writer to setup xp. Can I have some advice.

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

If the HDD made clicking sounds, it's obviously on the way out. Get a new HDD and install windows on that fresh, then try to recover some data from your other drive, you may not have much success.
    Solution: Back it up next time!

3. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

Thansks for replying, and your are right. I got a new one and I just installed it. You mentioned about the possibility of recovering some date from it. Could you tell how.

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Leave the other drive plugged in as well and see if you can access any of the files from it.

5. jony218

jony218 Guest

just connect it into the computer as a slave drive and you should be able to read it from your new windows.

If that doesn't work you can use the free "testdisk" it has a "photorec" addon that can be used to recover the data. This will only work if the drive is still spinning and the heads aren't damaged (that's what causes the clicking noise, when they go bad).

6. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

Hey Jony218, where do I get this proggy.

7. jony218

jony218 Guest

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

When you download the program, the actual program is in the "win" folder, both testdisk and photorec don't need to be installed, they run inside windows when you doubleclick the exe file.

The programs can also be downloaded in a linux livecd and run from the bootcd.

8. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

Thanks everybody for helping me. Now I do have another problem, after I installed the new HD and XP, I connected the second HD, it was working before along the dead HD, it doesn't show on "my computer" but It is in "Bios" and shows in "Device Manager" and in "Administrative Tools" in "Computer Management" but without a Letter and it says "Unallocated. I tried to give it a letter but I cant. Please help me.

9. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Unallocated means it isn't, or rather, doesn't think it is formatted, which is why it won't have been given a drive letter. You can format it if you like, but that will erase all the data you had on it before. Tough luck really, back up your data next time.

10. jony218

jony218 Guest

If it shows up as unallocated, you need to try and do a scandisk or chkdsk on it. Unallocated(raw) usually means that there is file corruption on it. All the data is still there. Don't reformat it, If the hard drive is still working try and get a scandisk or chkdsk done on it, that can ussually bring it back to where you can add a drive letter to it. If you can't get a scandisk or chkdsk done, then try testdisk, it has tools to recover damage partitions.

If you reformat it, you won't be able to recover anything from it.

11. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

Jony218 as you said at this moment I am running Photorec and it seems that I am going to be able to recover all data from the HD. Thanks and I am going to let you guys know the final result.

12. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

I did recovered some files, mostly pictures, movies, and some Zip and rar. But I can recover the one the I need the most. Thanks anyway.

13. nacaranda

nacaranda Member

I got it, it's my bad never mind the former message. I was clicking on the wrong icon. Once I clicked the right one I got what I was looking for. Thank you so much for the great help.