1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing USB ports on an Aerocool Powerwatch

Discussion in 'Building a new PC' started by pavpev, Aug 30, 2008.

1. pavpev

pavpev Member

I recently bought an Aerocool Powerwatch for my desktop and managed to install everything fine except for the power-usb's on the front.

[​IMG]

I'm guessing it was an idea that never took off as I haven't seen anything that's compatible with them, but appartly they can still be used as normal USB ports too.

I have 2 small cables, each with four individually labelled pins, labelled "+d" (green) "-d" (white) "VCC" (red) "Ground" (black)

[​IMG]

I'm guessing these are supposed to be plugged into the USB ports on the motherboard but there are 11 pins on each port so I have no idea where theyre supposed to go!

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!!!

Pav

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

That's correct - and you plug them into the USB header on your motherboard, which looks like this (one header does two USB port sets)
    [​IMG]
    Also - NEVER plug anything into the blue USB ports on that panel, I have no idea why they've decided to put 12V through a USB port, but if you plug any normal device in there, it will be fried straight away.

3. pavpev

pavpev Member

thanks for the help sam, but im still not sure which pins go where :eek:S As you can see, theyre individual rather thank a block and there is a row of 6 above a row of 5 pins on the Motherboard USB port.

The '+D' and '-D' sound like theyre for the Power component of the USB port, so I'm not even sure if theyre supposed to be attached, but the 'VCC' and 'GROUND' must go somewhere on the rows of pins, I just don't know where exactly :eek:(

Thanks

Pav

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

USB headers are a block of 9-pins, 5+4.

[​IMG]

5. pavpev

pavpev Member

Thanks Sam! That was just what I needed!!!

It was a bloody fiddly job connecting them up, but now theyre working fine :eek:)

Thanks for the help!

6. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Usually USB header connectors are grouped together in one big block rather than separate. I suppose Aerocool decided not to be helpful... :)