1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Philips dvp642 dvd and divX player

Discussion in 'DVD players' started by slovak, Apr 27, 2004.

1. minashin

minashin Member

Hi there everyone. I just bought this player today, and I'm loving it so far!

I just have a few questions though regarding this player and certain DivX files.

One of the avi files I played had perfect picture, but the sound kept skipping. Is this a problem with the CD, the encoding, or the player itself? Anybody else got this problem?

Also, I noticed that there's a 642/17 model and a 642/32 model. Mine is 642/17. Is there a difference between the two? Someone on this forum said that there isn't, but then why would Philips name the other model a 642/32 then?

Thanks for all the help guys!

2. pvolpe

pvolpe Member

minashin,

I have exactly the same problem and would appreciate your help should you find the answer elsewhere (and I'll do the same)

The avi I have a problem with is Divx encoded and when played on a pc is great - as soon as it is played on the DVP642 is skips in certain parts of the movie and also appears to misalign the sound with the picture. Any help out there would be greatly appreciated.

3. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

Regarding the ac3 DivX format that I've been trying to get working, as anyone been successful at playing ac3 DivX on the dvp642 using the Gordian Knot process?

http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/gordian_knot_ac3.cfm

I will attempt to try this method today and let you know of my results as soon as I get some time away from the wife and kids.

minashin and pvolpe, can you give some details about your avi file. I haven't had any problems with my avi files and mine is th /17 model.

Here's the spec for DVP624:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642/dvp642_pss_aen.pdf

Here's the spec for DVP642/17:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/d/dvp642_17/dvp642_17_pss_aen.pdf

Specs were not available for
    DVP642/17B
    DVP642/37

Phillips didn't show a /32 model. Here's the product selector page:
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/cgi-bin/...lg=ENG&SearchTxt=dvp642&grp=&cat=&sct=&tmplt=

4. pvolpe

pvolpe Member

Hi imrllybd, I am also using the DVP642/17 and have installed the latest firmware version 0531.

the file properties are:
    video size: 480 x 352
    Audio codec: MPEG layer-3 decoder
    Video codec: DivX Decoder filter

However when running GSpot and it tells me the following:
    Video:
    Codec type: xvid Name: XviD
    Stat: Codec not installed.

Len: 01:32:47 (133,483 frames) kbps: 918 Qf: 0.227
    x:y 480x352 (1.36:1)[=15:11]
    FPS = 23.976

Audio:
    Codec: 0x0055(MP3,ISO)MPEG-1 Layer 3 Stat: Codec installed
    Info: 48000Hz VBR 128kb/s total (2 chnls)LAME3.92)

I hope this helps you, thanks in advance.

5. minashin

minashin Member

imrllybad: Sorry, I meant to ask if there were any spec differences between /17 and /37, not /32.

The avi that skipped sound has this:

Width: 512 pixels
    Height: 256 pixels

Bit Rate: 84 kbps
    Audio Format: MPEG Layer-3

Frame rate: 24 frames/sec
    Data rate: 79 kbps
    Video Sample rate: 24 bit
    Video Compression DivXMPG4 V3

Thanks a lot for the help.

6. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

Wow, amazing! The GKnot method helped me solved my problem and what a hard way around to figuring this one out! After encoding Passion of the Christ using the GKnot method, I burned the ac3 DivX file to an RW just encase it didn't work. The moment I press play on my dvp642, (Wallah!) I knew it was going to work; why? becuase it said "Reading Indexes..." Woohoo, I'm so happy. Downside...What am I going to do with the other 200 ac3 divx movies; I'm I going to have to re-encode them using the GKnot method? Hell NO, I've gotta look further. I started comparing the the GKnot method to the CladDVD method that I'm used to. I found that GKnot method did not specify audio interleaving. When unspecified, audio interleaving is default at Preload audio 500ms and interleave audio at every 1 frame. What I have learned from CladDVD was to interleave audio every 500ms instead of by frames. This method was to help maintain audio synch. I thought to myself, okay, let me re-run one of my existing ac3 DivX movie (Hellboy) that won't play on the dvp642 through virtualdub using direct stream copy and audio interleave at every 1 frame. Re-burned the movie on an RW and for heavensakes, I've got my 5.1 channel while watching divx on my dvp642!!!

7. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

pvolpe and minashin:
    Your info seems pretty much the same except for a few differences; and those differences are not of any great significance. Since you have video, you're doing something right. I would focus on how you are encoding and interleaving the audio.

1. Are you encoding the within virtualdub or elsewhere?
    2. What is your audio interleaving configuration?

I'm thinking that mp3's are so compacted that if you did not change your audio interleaving from the default settings, the dvp642 may have a harding time combining the tiny bits and pieces of the mp3 file from the large number of frames that you have in your movie. Considering that an average movie is about 150,000 frames and the mp3 audio is about 100mb, the average size of the parsed mp3 is only 683 bytes. Maybe I'm thinking out of my butt. However, if you two haven't already tried, I'd suggest setting your audio interleaving like this:
    Preload 500ms audio before video start (this is the default setting) and interleave audio every 500ms. Be sure to 'tick' the ms radio button. If you've already tried this then sorry I wasn't helpful.

8. minashin

minashin Member

I have another question.

When burning DivX movies, is there a particular speed I should be burning at for the DVP642/17 model?

Thanks again for all the help.

9. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

I burn dvds at 8x speeds and it plays perfectly fine on this phillips player. If you buy those 4x speeed Great Quality brand from Fry's and your burner says it can burn it at 8x be sure to throttle your burner back to 4x. I forgotten that I had a pack of cds which were 4x and was burning at 8x and got some interesting but unsatisfactory results.

10. wyntre

wyntre Guest

[bold]@timekills[/bold] -

Can I assume you burned SVCD directly from the .inb/.cue? I have not had any problems with PAL SVCD's burned on CD-R/RW. Getting the MPEG on DVD is a slightly different story though.

Check out the thread on problem SVCD's here:

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/103251

This may solve your problem for you.

11. minashin

minashin Member

I don't have a DVD burner =(

I meant what speeds I should be burning DivX movies for regular CD-Rs. =)

12. imrllybad

imrllybad Member

minashin, that's an easy one to answer too. I just burned an Imation 44x CDR at 40x full of various mpeg1, mpeg2, and divx files; all of which played just fine.

13. Thornfr

Thornfr Member

hello,

does the philips 642 play *.mkv files?

Thank you in advance for your answers.

Thorn

14. bunanson

bunanson Member

The stupid thing I did was to set it to Progressive. Since I don't have Progressive scan TV so video does not show anymore. MY TV monitor is in blue and nothing coming out it. Since I can't see anything on TV, I can't set the menu back to Progressive OFF. Do you know of a way to reset the player to default? If I know the buttons to click on remote to set it to default, I may be able to do it by pressing the right ones on remote. Or, I can go to a local store with a Progressive TV and reset it there.

Anyone knows a hot button or combination buttons to press to make it work again????

Thanks a lot for the help,

cpliu
    to turn off progressive scan : press ALL the buttons, one at a time from left to right. I do not have the player in front of me,..., just press the buttons. it is mentioned on page 15-16 of the bottom of the user manual.

I have the opposite problem, i can turn on the progressive scan, but i cannot have it out from my infocus projector. still trying.....any suggestions

bunanson

15. minashin

minashin Member

Hello again everyone!

Seeing how this player only goes up to 8X FF, I have noticed it takes an awful long time to get to near the end of a movie.

Can someone recommend a good simple DivX splitter program to use?

I'm talking about a program that will automatically split movie files into length segments of what I want automatically, rather than a self extract and re-encode method that programs like Virtual Dub uses.

This way I can make a DivX movie have "chapters" if you will so that it's easier to browse through them.

Thanks again for the help!

16. mrborg

mrborg Member

Help!

I just bought this player and am having problems with it. I copied a mpeg movie to DVD. When I play it in the player it will play the first minutes of the movie, then skip to a further portion play that, etc. When I pull up the disk menu, it shows the file as multiple tracks (I guess this is how the player breaks it up even though I recorded it as one big file) some of the tracks have a VCD icon next to them (these happen to be the tracks that are playing), the rest of the tracks have a ? in a cartoon bubble next to them (these are the parts that are not playing). What am I doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

17. piyushkg

piyushkg Member

Hi,
    Can someone tell me if this player will operate in 220volt - 50Hz. power supply.

Thanks

18. lovefool

lovefool Member

I am glad to have a DVP642/17 to play DivX files. But this player doesn't play sound of one of movies. I have found the result audio codec is slightly different from the one what plays perfect.
    If the codec is the probelm, how to re-encode the audio ? If not what is wrong ?

OK Audio
    [bold]0x0055(MP3) ID'd as MPEG-1 Layer 3[/bold]
    160 kb/s (80/ch, stereo) CBR
    48000 Hz

NG Audio
    [bold]mpeglayer3 (mp3) (0x0055) ISO/MPEG[/bold]
    128 kb/s (64/ch, stereo)
    48000 Hz

19. lovefool

lovefool Member

I have got a solution that is re-encoding avi by virtualdub from divx.com, and now the player plays with audio.

virtualdub
    * under Video, ensure it's set to "Direct stream copy".
    * under Audio, set it to "Full processing mode".
    * Audio -> Conversion, set it to your desired sampling rate e.g. 48kHz
    * Audio -> Compression, set it to whatever you like... e.g. 48kHz, 128 kbps
    * File -> Save as AVI

20. ponzan

ponzan Member

@ minashin

I guess you need FF to go a little further up, if you want to go quickly to the end just press the display button and input a time number near the end and you will be there at no time