1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with Seagate Freeagent 500gb

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by K.HAMMETT, Sep 11, 2008.

1. K.HAMMETT

K.HAMMETT Guest

am really having a problem with this external hard drive. the thing is that it fell less than a foot and the usb snapped inside. dw about that am going to replace that at some point.

anyway...i cracked open the seagate case to get the the HDD and it has alot of stuff on i need to use. i tried pluggin it in my comp with the SATA power cable and Sata cable itself.

problem is it wont show up on my computer. it either crashes at windows start up or doesnt show.

am not sure how to set it up in my bios since am new to sata HDD but i am using 2 IDE drives already. could this be a problem or can you not run both IDE and Sata at the same time?

any help

thanks

2. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Adding a hard disk to a PC should be as simple as that. If it doesn't show up, the HDD itself could be damaged.

3. K.HAMMETT

K.HAMMETT Guest

It powers up and everything. i mean surely it can handle a drop from less than a foot. am not sure about my settings the SATA RAID is disabled but the controller or something is enabled. but i dont really understand it really.

by the way can you use IDE + SATA together?

all the hard drive has was a converter on it for the usb but that needs fixing so i pulled that out which was cliped to the power and sata inputs and just replaced that with normal cables if that makes sense. just cant get it to show up

4. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

Indeed, that's all that's necessary, you can use IDE and S-ATA drives together, the only trouble with that is if your PC tries to boot off the wrong drive, if you're in windows that clearly isn't a problem.
    Go to Start-Run and type diskmgmt.msc
    See if the drive shows up in there but without a drive letter.

5. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

My money is on the drive being gone.

6. K.HAMMETT

K.HAMMETT Guest

surely it hasnt gone. if it has then its a really s**t product since its in a solid plastic housing tht took hours to unclip. i mean since its external it should be able to take some shock coz its portable. it does say it will take 33g of force. not sure how much that would be. but it really did take a pathetic fall off a small shelf on to the bed then slid off n on to the floor. hope its not gone coz theres to much to lose lol.

7. sammorris

sammorris Senior member

if a drive is running, it will sustain shock far easier. The lowest rating safety shocksticker for packaging is 50Gs, for very fragile stuff. 33G is a lot less than that. To manage 33Gs, something only need go from 3.3m/s to a stop in 0.1 seconds, easily doable.