1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie in new flat, Can I use previous UUUPPPCCC setup?

Discussion in 'Digital TV - UK & Europe' started by gt112, Sep 21, 2008.

1. gt112

gt112 Member

Hi all
    Just moved into a flat in Galway. The UPC kit from the previous tennant is in place. I have a UPC/Chorus/NTL ariel outside, It comes inside and plugs into a black AC/DC converter. From there it goes out to a UPC Mediabox DVR. The previous tenants card is still in the box also.

I had TV (loads of channels working) on this kit on Friday night but as of today it's gone (previous tennants subscription probably ran out).
    I have tried a factory reset and done a new network rescan (by trial and error I discovered my region code to be 143 during the UPC box setup).
    I have no channels now on the box at all. It just permenantly says "the set-up is now being finalised . . .", I have full EPG and radio channels working but no TV.

So, a few questions,

Can I get tv using a starview or similar box?

If so where can I get hold of a starview or similar box?

Are there any basic free channels coming into the UPC setup that are unscrambled ? (I have tried plugging the coax from the ac adapter into tc and tuning, then tried pluging the coax cable from upc box into tv and tuning - in both cases got nothing).

Many thanks for any advice

2. karljd

karljd Regular member

you will need to take out a basic subsrcription to use any box,you sound like your on mmds so you need to find out wether your ch@rus or n;l.

3. gt112

gt112 Member

karljd
    I'm UPC (they have taken over Ch@rus/N;L). Do I have to take out a basic package ? Can I not use a starvew without ?

4. karljd

karljd Regular member

lol i'm aware of upc,and no you cannot use a starview without a basic package

5. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

As long as your mmds installation is working you don't need a subscription.
    The UPC box give you nothing if the card is switched off.

6. kopkidda

kopkidda Regular member

How can you find out this,without ring upc?

7. gt112

gt112 Member

8. karljd

karljd Regular member

9. gt112

gt112 Member

mgb17, I dont understand.
    My installation is working (as in, it is configured, cabled and installed correctly) but I have no channels. So what do you mean by saying that I dont need a subscription? Do you mean I can get the starview to work without a subscription?

10. noelyf

noelyf Regular member

As karl said, you need the basic subscription. If theres no live feed coming in , then thats what you need.

11. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

The new UPC box give you nothing if the card is switched off.
    At a mmds installation with own aerial there is nobody who cut the cable. UPC switched off the card of the previous tennant. Thats it.
    As long as there is a aerial and a working power inserter there is a live feed.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008
  12. gt112

gt112 Member

ok so I seem to be getting conflicting views here.

Some of you seem to be telling me I do need a subscription, while others seem to be telling me I don't.

Is there anyway to get a definitive answer ?

13. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

What you are been told is the subbed box you have at the moment, is no longer subbed, (card expired). You are on N** MMDS and you dont need a subscription once you have all the MMDS kit in place, i.e. aerial, downconvertor, power inserter. MMDS is over the air so unlike cable it cannot be disconnected as such. Unless they would like to take out a whole region :)

You can take out the N** box and replace it with a DVB-C box, e.g. Starview, Eurovox, etc, etc.

14. gt112

gt112 Member

sc0user

Many thanks. So the answer to my orifinal question "Can I get tv using a starview or similar box?" seems to be yes ?

15. mgb17

mgb17 Regular member

It depends if a UPC engineer collect the UPC box and the power inserter in the next days/weeks or not.
    Without a power inserter the aerial, specially the builtin downconverter, is not working.

16. sc0user

sc0user Senior member

True but they put these sort on things to the back of their list. If they do he could just buy a new set up. But hopefully that wont be the case.

17. tazzy79

tazzy79 Guest

hi have the box-t and use it in meath with chorus mmds, chorus changed to upc mediabox and unable to get the box-t to work now. anyone nay ideas