1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Media Player Wont Play DVDs

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by mrlopez81, Oct 5, 2008.

1. mrlopez81

mrlopez81 Member

I wasnt sure where else to post this so here goes.

My Windows Media Player will not play DVDs - when I go to play a DVD the program just exits on its own.

what to do?

I have windows xp

2. onya

onya Guest

Two things..

1. At the top right of wmp click on Synch then click refresh devices.

2. Again click on synch then options then click on file types
    Tick the dvd box. restart wmp and try, if no joy restart your pc a see what goes on.

Howd you go?

EDIT: welcome to AD..

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 9, 2008
  3. mrlopez81

mrlopez81 Member

thank you for your help onya - I apologize for not getting back sooner - I was out of town.

I tried the setps you kindly keyed in above, but still no luck...

what strange is that as soon as I click "play DVD" WMP just shuts down on its own, and it does the same thing when I insert a DVD into the computer.

Any help would be appreciated.

Should I unistall WMP and then reinstall it?

4. onya

onya Guest

Somethin' screwy going on with wmp. Yes, I would uninstall then run a reg cleaner like CCleaner then make a restart and reinstall wmp. Also you need to think back to when you first started to get these problems with wmp, and what changed just prior. Fingers crossed, a fresh install just might do the trick.

Cheers.

5. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

6. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Which version of WMP are you using? WMP 11 is the latest. Secondly, WMP will play DVD's very well on a properly configured computer. Yes, you could try WMP Classic or any number of other free players like VLC and they may or may not work for you. But that doesn't get to the root of the problem, now, does it? Are the correct codecs installed? Do you have "directshow" installed? ffdshow?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ffdshow

I see two choices and both might work. Abandon WMP and just use another player,or, clean up your system and use WMP 11.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  7. mrlopez81

mrlopez81 Member

Hello again.

I am using WM 10 - I did a system restore and it seemed to fix the problem, but then the damn thing started doing it again a week or so later.

So I did another system restore. AFter all was said and done I reopened WMP, only to be given a message that said that something like "plugins disabled because WMP didnt close properly". The link to a help section provided by the error message didnt help me at all.

So then I upgraded to WMP 11, but it didnt do anything either! arrrrgh.

I isntalled VLC, but how on earth does one watch a DVD via this program?

As you can tell, I am not technically saavy with PCs.

thanks everyone!!

8. mrlopez81

mrlopez81 Member

BTW - I took the advice of everyone and installed WMP Classic. It plays my DVDS great, but I have yet another problem with this program - theres no sound!

If it aint one thing its another!

9. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

All i can suggest is check your sound settings in windows "sound management" & also in the options section of classic as there's audio file types that can be ticked

Last edited: Oct 31, 2008
  10. varnull

varnull Guest

11. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

No arguments from me :)
    ..the bloat that is WMP hasn't been used on any of my machines for years.
    All i use is Media Player Classic (installed via the excellent K-Lite Mega Codec pack, i've been using K-Lite longer than i can remember), plus VLC Player, and sometimes Winamp, though that's too bloated these days, i usually just install ancient versions of Winamp.

However i don't watch/listen to much media via the pc's these days, it's usually done thru my old xboxes. But when i do use media on a pc i like it to be lean and mean, plus of course i use a few Linux boxes too.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2008
  12. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

By the term "bloat" are we talking program file size or features available per program. In either case, what about Nero?

13. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

I've only ever used Burning Rom in Nero personally, and am only hanging onto Nero as imgburn can't do multiple concurrent burns.
    I'm not talking about filesize as i have more something like 15 hard drives on this pc alone, i mean bloat as in too many unused features or when software makers over-engineer programs, it's like they can't think of other ways to justify the newer versions so add loads of extra 'features'.

Each to their own of course, like most people i have my favourite programs that i swear by, but once they bloat up they get removed or i just switch to something leaner.

14. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Thanks. That makes perfect sense to me.

15. mrlopez81

mrlopez81 Member

OK - so how dows one watch a DVD on VLC?

16. juztrax

juztrax Member

Have you installed any codecs?
    If not download K-Lite codec pack and install.
    During install you will see the first set of options, just make sure you change the first option from "windows media player clasic" to "WMP" and you will be set to watch DVD's on WMP
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/K_lite_codec_pack.htm