1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

divx vs iso/nrg image question

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by godzillla, Oct 11, 2008.

1. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

I got a movie in .AVI format. I have been using Nero Visions to convert it to NRG then I burn the image to dvd and watch. I might be a little behind the times but I was told that I could just burn the .AVI file in data format to the dvd and play it in a newer DVD player with the DIVX logo on it. I did not know this was possible. I can hear you laughing! I have two questions 1. Is there a quality difference between a movie burnt to dvd using the NERO conversion process (NRG) versus burning the avi straight to dvd?
    I don't have a fancy shamancy dvix palyer yet. Although I saw one at wal mart for $30. It says DIVX ultra I think it's made by phillips. which bring me to questions 2. what is DIVX ultra? thanks

2. attar

attar Senior member

The avi that you are converting to DVD format with Nero, was probably a DVD movie before it was converted to AVI.
    Each conversion step means a loss in quality, so if the AVI can be copied (instead of converted) nothing is lost.

Some software can add menu's (like the menu on a DVD movie)to a DivX file.
    The Ultra-DivX player, would be able to display the menu.
    Normally the DivX files on the CD or DVD are simply listed on the TV screen by there file name, e.g.
    movie1.avi
    movie2.avi

Since the software to create the 'ultra' menu is not free, it's doubtful that many people bother with it.
    The Ultra-DivX player otherwise functions as any other Divx player.

3. godzillla

godzillla Regular member

thank you very much for that information. This whole dvd-authoring thing is becoming a lot more clear.