1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant find a batch compressor for jpeg

Discussion in 'Windows - Software discussion' started by omegaman7, Oct 14, 2008.

1. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

I want, or should i say a friend needs a program with a simple GUI, that can look at a folder full of Jpeg, Bmp, Gif, etc. And output ALL of the files in one common size/format/compression. Every software i look at wants me to tell it what i want for each and every file. I can go through windows paint and "save file as" quicker than that! Pleas help me. Ive ran multiple google searches and skimmed through afterdawns forums. This guys got LITTLE HDD space and probably 300 Digi cam pics that need compressed. APPRECIATE IT.

2. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

A .jpeg is already a compressed file. I think you might mean resized which would reduce the total file size. Anyway, for fast and easy batch converting (size, file format, DPI, or renamimg) I use Faststone Image Viewer. Fast, easy (go to Tools tab in Main Menu) and does SO much more.
    Best yet: Free.

http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

3. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Actually... there are several compression algorithms for Jpeg. Windows paint, as far as i know... only uses one (Smallest). Adobe photoshop uses Multiple. Atleast a dozen. I.E One file i can take into paint starts at say 2.3 MB will output to 500kb. Well now, thats nearly 80% compression, and doesnt APPEAR compressed. Adobe photoshop gives you all sorts of options but i dont believe it will do a batch. Not like im speaking anyway. What i need is a program that will use that basic jpeg compression that paint uses and compress multiples into a new directory. I believe what it does is drops SEVERAL COLORS.

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

I did not know that. Are the resulting compressed files still .jpegs or are they now a different file format as in .jpeg 2000? Can they still be opened in most photo software suites or only in Photoshop or proprietary to the creating software? Very interesting indeed. Thanks.

How about this: http://www.winsoftmagic.com/?ref=O1...standard&OVADID=5135247522&OVKWID=44099573522

5. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

That sounds like a very good software! Thanks. And yes. Every program ive tried opens both adobe jpegs and paint jpegs. as well as photoimpression. The extension doesnt change, so i would think any program that supports jpeg will both acknowledge and work with.
    I upload quite a bit of imagery too. Havnt heard anything, and doubt I will hear anything about compatability. This software you mentioned sounds as flexible with the jpeg format as adobe. I think i might try it out. as well as the "faststone"

6. omegaman7

omegaman7 Senior member

Peshtigo YOUR THE MAN! Faststone did the job. Many options. TOO many infact. My friend should be more than pleased. I still think that ADOBE should be able to do the same job. I just havnt found its ability is all. I saw the batch option in photoshop, I guess i just gotta play with it somemore. But see... since this is for my friend, he doesnt have much space on his drive. This program is perfect. Not even 5MB! Thank you. Enjoy your day :)

7. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

You are welcome. Glad to help.