AfterDawn: Tech news

Pioneer teams up with Qflix for DVD burners

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 14 Oct 2008 6:53 User comments (2)

Pioneer teams up with Qflix for DVD burners Pioneer has announced two new DVD burner drives, the internal DVR-2920Q and external DVR-X162Q each of which will allow users to create DVDs from downloaded content found on the Qflix video download site.
Just like the Dell Qflix drives introduced last month, users will be given Qflix DVD Download & Burn technology that will turn the content to formats that can be read in all standalone players. These drives will also require special DVD+-R discs just as the Dell ones do.

Qflix uses the current 1000 movie CinemaNow library and the new drives will allow the users to write the CSS-protected content to disc for playback on standalone players.

The drives write DVD and CD at 16x and 48x respectively otherwise when not using Qflix.

Qflix-compatible DVD+-R still do not have a disclosed price but be do know that RiDATA and Roxio will be creating them.

The Pioneer DVR-2920Q is available now and sells for $70 USD and the DVR-X162Q will sell for $115 USD when it hits next month.

Previous Next  

2 user comments

115.10.2008 23:47

LAME! Right, like the general public will catch on to this. Even if they gave it five years, IMHO it still wouldn't catch on as well as renting [I meant buying] DVDs and copying them. Who thinks even tech-savvy people will be dumb enough to go aut of their way to buy special [surcharged] DVDs that can be cracked anyway? I predict that this will flop and go the way that those DVDs that expire after 24 hours.

But that just my two cents...maybe next time I'll donate to the EFF LOL!

221.10.2008 16:57
onya
Inactive

Pioneer is one of a few good and reliable optical drive manufacturers out there. My blood runs cold at the thought of any of them teaming up with the likes of any movie distribution network company. It's bad enough that nero is bundled with some, let alone having the bad guy's get a look in also.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive