AfterDawn Forums

DVD Shrink 'DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot continue'

This discussion thread has 7 messages.

I keep getting this problem. Can anyone help me???

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot conintue. Failed to read file: \\F

The volume for a file has been externaly altered so that the open file is no longer valid"

DVD Shrink will analyse the dvd without any problems. But when I go to Backup it will come up with the above error message
▼▼ This topic has 6 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
Originally posted by sarcik:
I keep getting this problem. Can anyone help me???

"DVD Shrink encountered an error and cannot conintue. Failed to read file: \\F

The volume for a file has been externaly altered so that the open file is no longer valid"

DVD Shrink will analyse the dvd without any problems. But when I go to Backup it will come up with the above error message

From 1bonehead

You have found a newer movie that shrink cannot handle.Soooooo

1) decrypt to HDD with dvdfab HD (free version) Or use paid for version
2) process files (all) with fixvts
3) shrink files with dvd shrink, output as iso/image to HDD
4) burn iso/image file with IMgburn

all programs are free

Imgburn, free from
www.imgburn.com

fixvts, free from
http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_...ools/fixvts.cfm

dvdfabHD free from
www.dvdfab.com

dvd shrink 3.2.0.15

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_.../dvd_shrink.cfm

and a guide to use all the programs

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/494836

"The flimsier the product,the higher the price"
Ferengi 82nd rule of aqusition

Thanks for you help.

I followed all your instructions and the end result is .....

.... the end product was 5 separate avi files, all the same size. Is there a reason for this?

I had to then drag the 5 avi files into windows movie maker and publish a movie. Is there an easier way to do all this? At the end of the day, all I want to do is copy DVDs onto my external hard drive as avi files.
Huh?! That process laid out for you should have given you several files in the video_ts folder. You wouldn't get any avi files without using a program like autogk.

Yeah sorry should have explained myself a little better.

I decrypted the movie, which gave me a video_ts folder which had 5 VOB files in it a few other ones.

I then procesed the files and shrank them with DVD Shrink. DVD shrink then gave me 5 avi files.

Is there something that i've not done? or is there another application I use with VISTA?
Originally posted by rtm27:
Dvd shrink can't create avi files, it only compresses the files either to an iso image or video_ts files.

rtm bro, I think as you do, the OP is leaving out a couple salient details.

"The flimsier the product,the higher the price"
Ferengi 82nd rule of aqusition

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.