1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nero 9 a step backwards

Discussion in 'Nero discussion' started by gnk, Oct 22, 2008.

1. gnk

gnk Member

I wondering if other folks have been as disappointed with Nero 9 as I have been. After only a few days of use, I requested a refund, as I found Nero 9 to be a giant step backwards!

I've been a loyal Nero user for a number of years, and I'm very happy with Nero 8 Ultra. I have the Blu-ray/HD-DVD plugin, and I use ShowTime to watch both.

So, I have to say I was extremely unhappy to find out that Nero 9, though it touts its ability to burn Blu-rays, has no ability whatsoever to actually watch Blu-rays.

Ditto for not including SecureDisc or InCD (as far as I can tell. I've been waiting weeks for a concrete reply from Nero!)

The thing that strikes me is that Nero's website skirts these issues! There is nowhere on their website that says they don't support Blu-ray playback, either natively or through the use of a plugin, as in Nero 8. Again, the same goes for SecureDisc. (Although another post here confirms that SecureDisc is not included.)

Furthermore, as another post mentioned, it's very difficult to get a straight answer from them. It feels as if they don't want to admit to all of things they took out of Nero.

Overall, Nero 9 feels to me like a product that made it out the door without all of its parts!

2. BOMOON

BOMOON Member

Not only are they unwilling "to admit all of the things they took out of Nero" - they're picking positive sentences out of context in negative reviews, and sending them out in email adverts.

The one I got today says this about a PC World Review:

"Nero 9 is definitely a better product than version 8, and for new users it's a great tool."

Here's what that looks like in the actual review:

"Nero 9 is definitely a better product than version 8, and for new users it's a great tool. But considering that the upgrade is $60, I suggest saving your pennies for version 10."

Not only that but one of the opening sentences is "But Nero 8 was competent, too, and while the improvements in the new suite are most welcome, they're probably not enough to warrant upgrading from the previous version."

They tried to pull the same thing with PC Magazine. They managed to find one positive sentence in a generally negative review. That was the only one they sent me.

The PC Mag reviewer was also comparing to the new Roxio suite. He said he couldn't give an Editor's Choice to either one:

"If I had to buy one of the two, I would reluctantly buy Nero 9. Reluctantly. So while Nero wins this year, I'm not going to award either Nero or Roxio a PC Magazine Editors' Choice, because neither is as polished as it should be for the money."

Is it Kosher to post links to those reviews in this forum? If it is, I'll add them to this thread. But if you just go to the sites for PC World and PC Magazine you can easily find the reviews.

I'm glad I checked those reviews. I have Nero Ultra 8 and am not making any new moves soon. Besides, my Sucker Index is already through the roof for upgrading from XP to Vista. I was able to revert to XP, but I still can't take another hit.

Later,

3. bratcher

bratcher Active member

You mean that Nero Showtine (with Nero 9) won't play a blu ray disc? If so then that stinks!!

4. barSpirit

barSpirit Guest

Hello people, am new user ( if i manage to install it ) of nero 9, and i dont know hot to get that Serial number ! so i can go on with the instalation process!
    Does anyone now serial number ?

5. varnull

varnull Guest

After reading all that comes before you still want to install nero9?? I respectfully suggest you get your head examined forthwith.

6. barSpirit

barSpirit Guest

Tell me what are sugesting, which Nero by u its top ?

7. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

- you purchased it right ?, so you will have the serial number..

I personally lost faith in Nero after 6.x and i still have 6.6.0.18, but i only still use it as Imgburn (FREE from http://www.imgburn.com) can't burn multiple concurrent copies of the same data.

8. varnull

varnull Guest

I'm with creaky all the way.. If you must use nero (I can't see any compelling reason to do so) then 6.6.0.18 is the best I have seen.. regardless of it's supposed compatibility issue with XP SP2.. which it whines about while installing.

Nero8 has a superb HD capture thing.. and that's about all it has going for it.. 9 should be in the bin.. If you paid for it you have been well and truly ripped off.. Demand a refund, get your snotty email refusing you your money back...be annoyed about it... and then turn to the better freeware tools like imgburn avidemux and dvd flick which are freely available.

Nero is obsolete and deviod of purpose.. let them rot where they deserve.. For too long they have got away with demo and useless OEM versions bundled with hardware.. Enough is enough.. Goodbye Nero and all your bloated buggy crap.

Have you seen that crap they have the nerve to try to sell to linux users?.. hahahahahahahahahaha.. I nearly wet myself laughing at it's hopelessness.. Who the hell needs that rubbish when we have the superb k3b .. Some software payware companies should be taken out the back and humanely destroyed before they infect the rest of the herd...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2008
  9. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

10. ottoni

ottoni Member

I admit I should have done my research first.

I sent the following email to Nero Customer Service.
    Will it make a difference,I'd be surprised but I thought I'd add it to this thread:

Nero Customer Service,

I have been a Nero user for years. I used to love it and recommend it. I can no longer do that.

I recently upgraded to Nero 9. I did it blindly, without reading all the fine print, as I always have in the past. I saw the enhancements you espoused in bold print and trusted this new version was going to be even better, as it always had been in the past.

Prior to my upgrading I had just started using Nero Home and Nero MediaHome. I liked them but felt they need more enhancements so when V9 came out I thought awesome, they can only get better. So I bought V9 and was immediately disappointed to find out Nero Home was not included. I was even more disappointed to find out Nero MediaHome was a separate application at an additional cost. I felt cheated because I expected that when I purchased V9 I would have gotten ALL the features I had in V8. I emailed you about this almost a week ago with NO response. Not to mention that I paid $59.99 for the upgrade only to get a email shortly thereafter stating the upgrade was $49.99 (another $10.00 loss).

Then I naively purchased Nero Media Home 4 (for $39.99) thinking Nero Home was part of that purchase. As you know it is not. Apparently you have dropped that utility.

Why I was still trusting of Nero I don’t know, but when I attempted to play a Blu-Ray Disc I had just purchased, on my Blu-ray player I had just purchased, I got a error message indicating I needed the Blu-Ray plug-in. So I bought the plug-in (for $9.99) only to find out my Blu-Ray discs won’t play. I sent a email to Nero support about this earlier today but in the meantime found out from other forums that Nero will no longer play Blu-Ray discs.

At this point I am totally distressed and disappointed with Nero. Here I have spent $110.00 to basically DOWNGRADE my installation.

And then on top of that, I had purchased the Lame MP3 encoder that functioned with V8 and does not work with V9. That would be another $19.99 if I wanted that functionality. That would make it a total of $130 to downgrade my installation. Sorry, but I don’t get it.

To add insult to injury, after attempting to uninstall Nero 9 using the Nero Clean Tool, as instructed, and re-install Nero 8 to try and get things back to the happy state I was in before all this V9 deception I find that when I try and run Nero Start Smart I get an Error saying either my installation is corrupt or I have an invalid license. The invalid license is not an issue. My license was accepted when I re-installed V8 and shows up in the Control Center. I have uninstalled and re-installed V8 3 times, being very careful to do it right. I can run individual utilities, just not through the Start Smart page.

Below is a list of the 3 order numbers associated with my upgrade purchases.
    Nero 9 Order Number: xxxxxxxxx
    Nero MediaHome Order Number: xxxxxxxxx
    Blu-Ray Plug-in Order Number: xxxxxxxxx

I would really appreciate a refund for all the upgrades I purchased. (trying to be nice here).
    I have uninstalled the applications and have NO desire to re-install them.

Sincerely
    A truly Dissatisfied Customer
    Otto

11. BOMOON

BOMOON Member

Wow. I just uninstalled the trial version of Nero 9 after it expired on 11/13/2008. I decided it was worthless when I ran Nero Vision and found that the "improvements" were minuscule. It was still largely crippled when it came to designing custom menus and frames, even after I downloaded the "upgraded" templates. Nero Showtime, which used to be my favorite viewer, took far too long to load and used too much of the CPU. (Other folks have said that Showtime can't play Blu-Ray disks, which to be fair I didn't try to do. It was just too slow and CPU-intensive to use for anything)

I didn't bother to try too many of the other components, as Nero Vision and Nero Showtime are the core applications for me. But judging by what other people have been saying here about this upgrade, I'm actually glad I didn't waste my time.

This isn't gloating. I hope those of you who have applied for refunds get them. If you don't, it's one more good reason to abandon this product line. Post a petition if you have to, I'd be more than happy to sign it.

As far as I'm concerned, there hasn't been a decent DVD authoring program since Ulead (now owned by Corel) abandoned development of DVD Workshop 2. That was a great tool for people who take this sort of thing seriously.

Nero is still a DVD-authoring toy as of version 8. Pinnacle Studio is so bad it's actually funny. Two of the supposed leading programs in video editing and DVD authoring, Sony Vegas Pro 8 and Sony DVD Architect Pro 5, are overpriced bloatware that still can't render a watchable MPEG-2 video or DVD.

I got my screwing with those Sony programs. I figured I'd jump on one of the winners of the Blu-Ray vs. HD-DVD war and be in the right place when the technology really took off. I'm out over $400 bucks on that pretentious junk. This has limited my options to try out the Roxio stuff.

Well, this is a Nero forum, so back to the topic at hand: Nero 9. It's now in the trash bin with Vista as "one of the worst technical blunders of the year."

I was paraphrasing PC World with that quote.

So it's back to Nero Ultra 8 for minor CD recording chores, and hoping against hope that a decent DVD authoring tool is in the works somewhere.

PS: Nero Ultra 8 is now telling me that I must register my programs before I can use them. So much for the clean tool, too.

Have a good one,

12. cleanface

cleanface Guest

Folks stick with Nero 6 or 7. If it is not good enough for shrink, then it is not good enough for you.

Go to amazon and order Nero or/and 7.

clean

13. BOMOON

BOMOON Member

Hi cleanface,
    Sorry to jump in here if you weren't actually answering my post (the one right before yours) but I think what you said probably applies to my situation anyway.

I don't like to flaunt my ignorance, but I'm not up on a lot of the phraseology here - what does "not good enough for shrink" mean?

Whatever it does mean, the good news is that I've been on board with Nero for a long time and can easily roll back my installation to either 6 or 7 depending on where I get the best results.

A rollback would beg another question though. Does the Blu-Ray plugin work with Nero 6 or Ultra 7?

I don't exactly anticipate a lot of success with Nero 8 and the plugin. But I liked some of the application components of Ultra 7 and it would be great if the plugin would work there as well.

Thanks and have a good one,

14. CR8VDO

CR8VDO Member

I too requested a REFUND. This new version is a HORRIBLE step backwards.

15. garmoon

garmoon Regular member

I am using Nero 8 Ultra and are having no issues with Recode, Express and Nero Burning Rom mainly one I use along with the tools. Works for me just like Nero 6.6.0.18 did.

16. category6

category6 Guest

Nero 9 IS the worst technical blunders of the year 2008. I wasted money on both nero 8 and nero 9 cause I like showtime. Well when you play videos it locks up the computer at some point. Everytime it is used. No other media players i have cause this problem. What a fool I was to ever pay for this shovelware. I am going to leave bad reviews for this program at every website I can and get a little revenge. I mean I might as well have thown my money in the sewer.

17. sandyl

sandyl Member

I use Nero 6.3.1.18. It is an OEM version which I got with my first external DVD burner(a Mad Dog which still works great after burning thousands of discs).

Nero 6.3.1.18 works fine as the burn engine for DVD Shrink and Image Tool Burn.

I have eliminated the "Start Smart" interface and created an icon to open the Nero 6.3 burner directly. The path is Nero\Nero\nero.exe

I use this to burn occasional jobs that don't work with other burners.

The Nero interface is absolute garbage and became worse with each release. I agree with those who say Nero is essentially useless bloatware. Nero's philosophy and mentality is in line with that of Microsoft, Adobe, Norton, Symantec,and Google for their Chrome(they should stick to their search engine) and other similar idiot targeted mainstream software companies.

I use Image Burn or Image Tool (with the Nero burning engine) for most DVDs. I use Image Burn for most data CDs, but occasionally have to use Nero. I prefer Feurio for audio CDs. This is a very advanced program and I believe it's the best available.

I just downloaded and installed the free burner from Nero 9. I noticed that, at 136.85 mb, it is more than 68 times as large as Image Burn (1.93 mb installed). Why do we need this bloat. May they eat excrement and die! I also noticed that the installation process has a somewhat sinister qualify because it does not follow standard protocol.

Now I have a question: Is the Nero 9 free burner good for anything? Is there any reason at all not to uninstall it and say goodbye forever?

18. killalot

killalot Active member

I'm on version 7 and its staying that way,wont be upgrading,as its been pointed out plenty of free and better applications about for all your burning needs,imageburn,dvd flick,audiograbber put lame in it and away you go.Got roxio 10 on pc in bedroom never had any problems so can recommend that.Even Nero 7 sometimes takes a wile to load,like its been said nero 6 looks the best they ever did,back to school nero.

19. BOMOON

BOMOON Member

Hey killalot,
    I'm currently using Nero 8 Ultra which I use solely for MP3 CD burning via Nero Express (no Nero Startsmart nonsense for me, either). It works well enough for that purpose. What I'm wondering about these days is what folks are using for Blu-Ray burning. Have you fooled around with that at all?

As far as I know the Blu-Ray plugin for Nero 8 Ultra is free but I've made no attempt to install and use it. For Bluray I'm using Sony Vegas and DVD Architect to author/burn, and Corel WinDVD9 to play the discs.

Sometimes I use Cyberlink DVD to play the Blu-Rays; it all depends on which of the two players works better that week. They tend to swap the No. 1 position all the time!

Obviously Nero is now out of the running for any of my A/V work except MP3 burning. When I find something that works as well or better for that, I'll say goodbye to Nero for the last time. Too bad. It was a good product in its day, before it became the usual bloatware that's ruined a lot of good SW, like Acrobat Reader and MS Office.

Does Roxio 10 do Blu-Ray at all?

Have a good one,

20. killalot

killalot Active member

I don't do any blue-ray burning,1 the disk's are to expensive, and 2 the blue-ray burners are also over priced.I play blue-ray films the few i own with power dvd came with the player,not sure about roxio 10 support for blue-ray will have to have a look,if you go to roxio's website will tell you there.You should try audiograbber for your audio needs better then nero.