1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Installing Frostwire and Java

Discussion in 'Video - Software discussion' started by karmazz, Oct 23, 2008.

1. karmazz

karmazz Member

I searched the boards and couldn't find my problem, and I apologize if this is the wrong forum. I thought this is where this belonged, pardon my ignorance if I am wrong. I am tryin to install frostwire on my Windows Xp sp3 machine and it wont install saying I need the latest Java. I went to and downloaded jre-6u10-windowsi586-p-s and while that tried to install it stopped saying error 26011 unpacking rt failed...So can someone tell me what this means.. I'm not sure, so I appreciate your help with this.

2. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Are you using ie7 or Firefox? Did you save then install or just run it? Close all open programs?
    Did you get it here: http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp

As strange as it seems I had to close Firefox and use ie 7 for success. I have no explanation and after the installation I didn't care. Seems to me it had something to do Microsoft Installshield installer but it's been a while. I would clean temp files and registry with CCleaner and try again fresh. Naysayers just love to bash Frostwire and Limewire. I've never had a problem (legal files only, of course, HeHe). Use PeerGuardian, scan all files with your security apps before opening, and use your brain.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  3. karmazz

karmazz Member

Thank you for getting back to me, sorry I forgot to mention I have IE 7 and Foxfire on my computer but I was using IE7 while trying to install. I will do as you told me and I appreciate your time

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Happy to try and help. I had a previous version of the Java update so I uninstalled it and did a clean install of the version you are trying to install. Not a hitch. It took about two minutes, tops.

5. karmazz

karmazz Member

Darn, I tried the ccleaner-Thank you there was a lot of junk! But that Java link was the one I tried. So I uninstalled and then reinstalled with your link and it still comes up with the error code 26011. Unpacking rt failed, so I'll keep trying to figure it out. I thought I'd try Lime wire instead of Frostwire but had the same error code. Thank again for your time

6. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

Limewire & frostwire are one & the same,the diff is lime is shareware,stick with frost

Yeah it's a bummer when installers fail,it's hard to know what to suggest as it could be anything,however there's things to consider,delete registry entries manully pertaining to frost,lime & java including deleting folders inside program files (only after using the programs uninstaller first,then manually remove remaining crap),re-run ccleaner,do a disk check & defrag,then attempt install again,this time install java first,also make sure any security ware is'nt blocking the install i.e firewall,antivirus,spyware scanner.

re download java just in case of corrupted download but after the above has been done

EDIT:Not sure which button you used in ccleaner,it'd pay to use both the cleaner & registry buttons

Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  7. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Limewire is not shareware. Limewire is completely free and with no limitations on it. If someone has a shareware version it's bogus from a scam site.
    The real Limewire:
    http://www.download.com/LimeWire/30...contentBody;mostPopTwoColWrap&cdlPid=10847936
    or:
    http://www.limewire.com/

I've used it for years. It's open source software and that is why there are slightly different free 'wires floating around. Limewire Pro is not free. Maybe that's where the misconception comes from. Anyway, Frostwire/Limewire both use the same peer sharing network. Frostwire supporters claim that it's "turbo" for free. Big deal. They both work if you're careful.

Note keyword: CAREFUL

8. scorpNZ

scorpNZ Active member

I stand corrected for some reason i always thought lime had an ad window in the free version,as for frost it is made by the devs at limewire (faq at frost webste mentions it)as for it being super duper in speed yeah right,you most probably already know that speed is all relative

9. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

10. ferguj1

ferguj1 Regular member

I have no ideas on any of this frostwire/limewire business, but I can stand with Peshtigo and vouch for Revo Uninstaller. It does the trick everytime, great software.

11. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

I install Revo on every machine I'm asked to look at. It seems indespensible to me now.