1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sony DRU-510A cant be accessed!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by bob911c4, Feb 12, 2004.

1. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

I am unable to burn a DVD-r or DVD-rw with my Sony DRU-510A. When i click on it in My Computer its says quote.

E: is not accessible
    Incorrect Function.

What is wrong? Other CDs work on it, and it even plays DVDs but i cant do anything with it when a DVDr is in it.

2. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

I have the 510A sony burner as well and it says the same thing when I try to access a dvd disc that is blank, is that what you mean? Also, what program/s are you using to burn a dvd? Are you just trying to use windows to burn a disc? I need more details, write back and I'll help u more.

Here's Sony Support site

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru510adwn.htm

3. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

Yes that is what i mean. First I use DVD decrypter to decrypt the DVD then i use DVD shrink to shrink it. Finally i tried to burn the creation with dvd decrypter again, but the DVDr only turns out blank again.

Also, when i try to use INSTANTCOPY my dvd drive does NOT show up in the destination part, so i can't even use that program to burn either. PLZ help

THX

4. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

plz help!

5. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

plus, when i try to burn bi.nrg (a nero image i created with DVD shrink) i am unable to do that because i cant select the primary drive where my DVD drive is located from the medium info. button within NERO. What happens is i go to medium info., then i change the drive from the F drive (factory CD burner) to the E drive (Sony DRU-510a DVD burner) and click ok. BUt when i return to the "Write DVD" box it still won't allow me to click "OK" to burn because it somehow switched it back to Drive F for the destination.

Why can't i get Nero or Instant Copy to use my primary DVD drive?

6. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Sorry I haven't got back to you, just been a bit busy over the weekend. I just saw before that you've posted another thread and seem to have got the burner partially working.

I'd say your problem could be one of a number of things, so I'll just list them:

1. make sure your driver is up to date and your drive's firmware (current firmware is 1.0f, I think) doesn't need a flash update.

2. Check your ASPI driver is up to date (I recommend Force ASPI with Sony drives)

3. Kill any Packet writing software on your machine, like Nero Incd or the Vetaris one that probably came with your burner, I think It's called DLA.

4. If you have Roxio installed on your system, get rid of it, It conflicts with other software too much.

5. Check this windows help thread to see if it helps, Especially look at the stuff about the drive not being recognized as a recording devices.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;324129

6. Give the sony help site a shot, most of the info is useless, but if u can actually contact someone there not too bad.

7. Finally, before u start burning, type msconfig in the run box and go to the startup tab and click disable all to check that another prog isn't interfering with your burning.

I'd say it's probably something to do with one of the above topics unless u just got a bum drive, but I'd doubt it as sony's quality control is fantastic. Myself, I haven't had I single prob with my 510A, except for a firmware update (but I don't think that's your prob). Also stick to Nero if your having probs at first, as it's one of the safest burners around. and you probably already know/some most of this, but I just thought I'd cover bases to check.

P.S. you can use nero info tool to check out stuff about your drive.

7. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

OK. I took your advice, DAMON1 for numbers 2, 4, 5, and 7. I didn't know how to do 1 (i've got 1.0F), or 3.

The thing is i tried burning Data onto a DVD+RW and it worked with RECORDNOW DX (software that came with drive), but i can't get it in the right format to make it playable in my actual DVD player let alone my computer.

So, I know my DVD burner can burn onto a DVD, but id don't know which files to burn (iso maybe?). I would like to fix NERO or InstantCopy to be able to use to burn because they seem easier and more realiable, but if i can just burn a DVD to work on my player that would be GREAT. Any Suggestions on what to do? THX for all the help up to now, its been rough, but i think we are getting close.

8. Damon1

Damon1 Regular member

Bob911c4: if your still having probs getting your 510a to burn, try looking at this thread, it seemed to help this person so I thought it might be of help to you.

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/73730

P.S. sorry about delays again. just been busy, busy, busy. Hope you got it working.

9. bob911c4

bob911c4 Member

damon, i figured it out a little while ago just by trial and error, but thx for the help or else i still might be working on it. Turns out, since i CAN burn wit RECORDNOW DX i just used that and burned the shrunkun VIDEO_TS files as a data disk to the DVDR...and it worked. Anyway thx for all the help along the way