1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who made these Memorex 4X CDRW's? How long do they last?

Discussion in 'CD-R(W) Media' started by bratcher, Oct 30, 2008.

1. bratcher

bratcher Active member

I just found a 5 pack of unopened Memorex 4x 700mb CDRW's Would anybody remember what the mid code might be? If I burned them like a regular CDR how long would the data last if they were taken good care of?

2. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Answering my own post here. From Google I found those old 4x CDRW's were made by Infodisc & that it is very low grade media. Reported to have problems with erasing & rewriting. Readability lifespan seems to be one to three months. Good thing I got that 5 pack for free!!

Well I burned one as an audiodisc & my CD player played it perfectly. I'll play it again once a month to see if it's still readable by the home & pickup truck CD players. The others will remain unopened while I'm play testing the first disc....

3. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Lucky dog!

4. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Why? Because I got them for free even though it's low grade media? Or am I lucky that the CDRW played back ok (in a CD player) right after it was burned?

I'm not depending on the discs for frequent use. Just saw the low soeed (4x) discs & decided to try burning one to see if it would work.

5. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Lucky because they were free. After that who cares if they burn or not?

6. bratcher

bratcher Active member

Yeah your right. I'm not out any money for them so if the disc I tried failed to burn then I wasn't out anything but my time in trying them.

7. JoeRyan

JoeRyan Active member

Infodisc is the largest producer of rewritable CDs in the world. They produce for Memorex, Sony, and many others. Their 4X CD-RW discs are OK. They did have instability problems with higher speed CD-RW media; but few 8X, 16X, 24X, and 32X CD-RW media are as reliable as 4X CD-RWs. The faster the rated speed, the fewer rewrites one can expect even though manufacturers claim 1,000 cycles. 200-500 rewrites are more realistic for 24X and 32X, and 800-1000 for 4X.