1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Metacafe Pro download safe?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Jemborg, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Well, I was browsing on Metacafe and I thoughts to meself, "hmm, 'Bill O'Reilly Is Out Of His Mind', I might download that".

Now Free Download Manager usually gives me the opportunity to download the vid with a right-click. Well the option wasn't there, however, I saw a "Download" button under the play window.

"Fair enough" i says to meself, *click*... "Metacafe Pro is required" comes up. "Ok", click to download the app and FDM warns some users have labelled this app suss (or some such). Yikes is it spyware of some sort?

Anybody got any clue? Perhaps it's just paranoia on someone's part. I won't load Google desktop helper thingy, for instance, any indexing type thing I shut down too, don't trust them and they suck CPU and blow chunks as far as I'm concerned. Can anyone suggest a better way? Use Orbit instead? Or is it all cool?

Regards.

PS Yeah, I have VLC player.

2. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

I've got an update here. I got things working without having to Download the Metacafe app. Got an addon for FireFox called GetFlash which works with FDM. Had a little trouble with knowing what to do at first , but it seems sorted now.

Also "Quick Media Converter" (freeware) handles the files fine, putting them in a more manageable format like DivX.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2008
  3. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Metacafe Pro is probably classed as some sort of AdWare, because I'm guessing they pack their software full of ads too.

SUPER is a much better encoder IMHO, if you know what you're doing with it.

Also, I found the .swf link embedded in the source code, it wasn't covered by loads of fancy media player script.

http://www.metacafe.com/fplayer/2023649/revenge_fat_boss.swf

There's an example - if you follow the link, it embeds the video into it's player or something, but I'm sure you could just as easily save that link with FDM or whatever you use.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2008
  4. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Thanks Ripper, that make sense, it being some sort of AdWare componant. The ad for Metacafe being in the bottom corner, is that what you meant?

I'll check out super thanks for that.

I'm having trouble turning some HD-DVD files into a playable iso. maybe it can help with that.

5. Ripper

Ripper Active member

Well yes, but also affiliated site adverts etc.

HD-DVD files like .ts etc? Yeah, SUPER should handle those although I don't deal in all things HD, so can't really be of much further help, sorry ;-)

6. Jemborg

Jemborg Member

Yes those are the bastard things haha. I'll post a question in the HD section.

Cheers.