1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help with Mediacoder

Discussion in 'Video to DVD' started by rider555, Nov 11, 2008.

1. rider555

rider555 Member

Before I get into authoring,i need to convert some AVI and MP4 files so that I can watch them on a standalone DVD player.
    I tried it last night with Mediacoder but am not sure if I did it correctly.
    I need to have the video set to Mpeg2 and the audio FAAC?Is that correct?
    Also something I noticed is that the original MP4 has 9 chapters,but when I converted(is that the correct term..)to Mpeg2(Mpg2?),it was all 1 chapter.
    Maybe there is a guide somewhere that someone can point me to?I'm new here.

2. attar

attar Senior member

Try 'DVD Flick'.
    It's simple to operate and gives very good results.

Generally, a DVD consists of MPEG2 video and AC3 audio.
    Also, the video will be one of two video formats,'PAL' for EU and Australasia and 'NTSC' for North America.
    As a rule, a PAL DVD will not play on an NTSC standalone DVD player (although either will play on a PC)
    This is explained in the concise guide that is accessed from the main menu.

DVD Flick converts most common formats (AVI and MP4) and will optionally burn the disk with its included burning software.
    A menu and subtitles can be included if required.

http://www.afterdawn.com/software/video_software/dvd_tools/dvd_flick.cfm

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  3. rider555

rider555 Member

DVDflick is useless if you want to make chapters at specific points.In fact I just uninstalled DVDflick since it won't do what I want.

4. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

For authoring I use TMPGEnc Authoring Works 4. Edit with ease and make chapter points anywhere you choose.

http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/product/taw4.html

5. rider555

rider555 Member

I have used Tmpegnc in the past and it works much much better than any other authoring software I have tried.
    Unfortunately,my trial period ended and right now,I can't afford to buy it.Hopefully after the holidays.

6. rider555

rider555 Member

Hey Peshtigo,gotta' question for you.
    When you use Authoring Works 4,do you have any problem when viewing the menu(before you output)?
    I installed it earlier today,and after editing the file and making my menu,I clicked on simulate so that I could see how my menu would look.
    It showed the menu I had created but,it looked weird.
    I tried to do a screen capture so that I could show you here,but...
    The image was all heavily saturated with the primary colors being green,pink and yellow.It reminded me of the PREDATOR movies,when they show the Predator seeing body heat coming off of people...if that makes sense?
    I hope it is just a glitch with Tmpegnc and doesn't show up once it is burned to disc.

7. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

No. I have not seen the gltch you describe in the simulation window. Just wondering, does your PC meet all the system requirements to run the program?

8. rider555

rider555 Member

I do not know if it meets all of the system requirements,but I played the DVD and the menu looks like it should.

9. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

That's great. Then you're happy with how it turned out?

10. rider555

rider555 Member

I am happy with how it turned out except for that darn watermark(I only have the trial version).
    The thing I am trying to figure out now is if the DVD that I authored with it will play on my stand alone DVD player.
    The files were originally MP4 and I used DVDflick to transcode it.
    I couldn't get that to play on my DVDplayer though.
    I know longet have the original file.So,what I did was I took the DVD that would not play and used Mediacoder to transcode it.
    I used that as my Tmpegnc Authoring Works 4.
    My Toshiba has been giving me trouble for nearly a month and I have a hard time getting it to play anything right.Most of the time though,I can at least get to the point where the menu shows up.
    So far,with this DVD I just authored,not the case.
    I think that perhaps the problem is that I did something wrong when using DVDFlick to convert from MP4 to Mpeg2.
    Right now,i am going to try to reauthor a DVD that was transfered from VHS so that should definitely work on a stand alone player as there will be no converting/transcoding involved.

11. Peshtigo

Peshtigo Regular member

Whenever I try out new video software I copy the original file to a new folder just in case something goes wrong. Overly cautious maybe but I learned my lesson.