1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Playing AVIs with Tvix HD M6500A

Discussion in 'HD DVD discussion' started by GAField, Dec 1, 2008.

1. GAField

GAField Member

Hi
    I have recently upgraded to a HD m6500A streamer with ITB disk. I've transferred my old AVI files, and some are OK, however, on a few the picture starts to breakdown, then freezes but continues to play the sound. If you attempt to stop, FF etc, it jumps to the next file. This is now affecting most AVI files.

Although I can watch MKVs, most of my files are AVIs. I can view them successfully on PC and an old netgear streamer.

The box is connected to a Pioneer Plasma and surround sound via HDMI and Optical cable. MKV's are good and some AVIs.

I have posted a similar message on the TVIX website, but they do not appear to be responding.

product desc - http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/products/HDM6500A.aspx

Any thoughts?

2. ugc

ugc Regular member

what version of firmware are you running?

3. GAField

GAField Member

Version 1.2.52 which I believe is the latest.

4. ugc

ugc Regular member

nope. not the latest: tvix has been on 1.3.XX for a while now. here is a prerelease, you may give that a try and see. All in all, the best firmware that works for me is v1.2.46

Here is latest firmware:
    http://demod.dvico.com/prerelease/tvix_M-6x00_1.3.65.zip

**EDIT**
    Here is the change log from last firmware:

Changes from 1.3.59

1. The crash issue found during playback of MKV files with embedded subtitle has been fixed.

2. Different audio streams can be selected while playing AVI or MKV files.

3. The system crash issue during volume change after audio track change has been fixed.

4. Audio and subtitle key works only during Play or Pause.

5. The Issue with hard disc formatting using TVIX is fixed.

6. Users can connect to SAMBA servers with different ID and password. Earlier ID could be only “tvixhd1”.

7. Fixed audio does not output when play a PCM track on DVD with some display.

* Setup structure has been changed, so please check if the setup is preserved or not after upgrade.

Known issues

Video Issues:

1. When Auto Switch is set for NTSC/24Hz, 24Hz files may not output through HDMI with some display devices.

2. For some MKV files, TVIX crashes when it is played from bookmark.

3. For MKV files having FLAC and OGG audio stream, the audio is muted.

4. For some MKV files, the subtitles displayed are not in sync

5. For some TS files, resuming normal playback after fast forward playback, leads to muting of the audio.

6. For some TP files, the audio stutters and sometimes crash is also observed.

7. For TS, TP, M2TS and MTS files, fast backward playback is not supported.

8. Play an M2TS file with DTS HD master audio.

When DTS audio setting is digital, HDMI audio is ON and HD audio passthrough is set to ON, then audio is not heard on the SPDIF output.

For the same setting, if HDMI audio is set to OFF, then audio is HEARD on the SPDIF output.

Audio Issues:

1. If you play files with HD audio tracks like Dolby TrueHD, Dolby Digital Plus, DTS-HD MA or LPCM, you’d better turn on HD Audio pass through on the setup even though you don’t have a receiver that supports decoding of these formats. Otherwise, you will hear strange noise with some repetitive popping noise. Currently, TVIX doesn’t support core decoding, if you don’t have a HD audio decoder receiver, you need to select other than above HD audio track.

2. Some of the AAC files are not being played back.

3. MP4A files are not being played back

4. For some APE and OGG files, the audio is muted

5. For MP3 files with low sampling frequency, the TVIX crashes on playback from a specified time.(GOTO playback)

6. For MP3 files with low sampling frequency, the TVIX crashes on fast forward playback

ETC Issues:

1. USB icon continues to display even after disconnecting DVD-ROM USB drive from TVIX. Then clicking on the USB icon leads to crash of TVIX.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  5. danny619

danny619 Member

I was thinking of buying a tvx M6500A box, and was wondering how well they work? And were is the best place to purchase one, ive tried the usual suspects and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations...much obliged

6. ugc

ugc Regular member

Kind of depends on where you live. (I would NOT recommend buying off of ebay because many of those sold are locked to the Koren language and you can not update them without a "Special firmware")

List of places to buy one:
    http://www.tvix.co.kr/Eng/WhereToBuy.aspx

Where I have bought all of mine (usa):
    http://www.digitalconnection.com/

I have four 6500's networked though out the house, and they work fantastic.

7. mickas

mickas Guest

GAField

I have the same issue. The TVIX resets all my A/V settings while playing some avi's at random times. So you can get audio but video goes to NTSC or something...Sometimes does it by itself overnight. I have emailed Dvico but no answer.....

8. Laura8825

Laura8825 Guest

Some avi cant be supported very well, it may something with the codec. Or u can convert avi to mkv, then have a try.

9. mickas

mickas Guest

Found my issue. I had the Sony amp trying to output the signal as 1080p and my HDTV is 1080i.So the TVIX cr@pped out every so often ;)
    All good now just wish it was abit more stable and quicker.
    Haven't tried non gen firmware yet....Not sure if it would be better?