AfterDawn: Tech news

ZeroWire rivals WirelessHD

Written by Matti Robinson @ 08 Dec 2008 6:57 User comments (11)

ZeroWire rivals WirelessHD

California-based Tzero Technologies has demonstrated its new second generation ZeroWire in Tokyo. The new ZeroWire enables wireless HDMI transmission with Ultra Wideband (UWB) technology, which is able to transfer Full HD (1080p) resolution video at 60 frames per second. The product is at first targeted at Japanese market, but has passed the regulatory tests in Europe and the U.S. as well.
Tzero calls ZeroWire the first commercially viable wireless HDMI solution with an estimated material cost of less than $50. It support HDMI 1.3a and HDCP and therefore is "Hollywood Approved", according to the press release. With 480 Mbit bandwidth the ZeroWire is able to transmit Full HD resolution video and 7.1 digital surround audio at ranges greater than 20 meters.

Due to its higher bandwidth the rival WirelessHD is a more viable option for future technologies. WirelessHD supports theoretical data rates of up to 20Gbps but is limited by the 10.2 Gbit bandwidth of the wired HDMI 1.3a.

Previous Next  

11 user comments

18.12.2008 07:32

Man i was just think about this. I plan to mount my LCD to the wall in the next few weeks but i dont really like to see the wires running up the wall to the set. Everything for these Flat panel tv should be wireless.

28.12.2008 11:13

That's why you run the wires inside the wall behind where you hang the screen...

38.12.2008 12:57

Originally posted by cart0181:
That's why you run the wires inside the wall behind where you hang the screen...
Or buy a cable raceway. If you're in the States, Lowes and Home Depot sell them for about $10-$20 depending on the parts you need and the length of the cable run. (It only set me back $7 for a straight run down the wall for mine and I painted it the same color as the wall, so it looks very professional and hides the wires.)

48.12.2008 14:34

drilling holes in your wall, or not having cables at all and can move the system any ways you like, I think cableless is the winner here.

58.12.2008 14:45

Originally posted by cart0181:
That's not the best answer for me and i agree cableless is the best option. I am about to purchase a recliner soon and may move some furniture around at that time. Then i would be left to possible move my tv, drill another hole for cables for my DVD player,gaming consoles, cablebox; move my line between satellite and receiver in that room, then fill in the other hole already there, repaint that hole, etc... Not worth the trouble. I also like to move my furniture around about once a year and change a few things up so that definitely would not be good for me. I have been leaning toward the cable raceway as or whatever it is called. I have seen them but just didnot know the name for them.
This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Dec 2008 @ 2:56

68.12.2008 16:58

100% agree with the wireless. I meant to say that reading this article makes me kick myself for all of the mounting and other work I had to do a few weeks back!

710.12.2008 23:04

You forget about the power cable rofl.

811.12.2008 00:42

Originally posted by Jemborg:
You forget about the power cable rofl.
Yeah, you're all dumb, rofl. And meanwhile, mine will be working glitch-free for a fraction of the cost.

912.12.2008 00:34

I cant wait for my neighbor to steal my HD. Signal boosters will soon be sure to follow.

1012.12.2008 00:56

I'm cheap. I'd rather use a length of black concertina hose that you can get for greywater off your washing-machine to your garden. You could put your POWER CABLE through that too. :D

It would look fine... and mean.

1118.12.2008 01:09

Originally posted by paperboyd:
I cant wait for my neighbor to steal my HD. Signal boosters will soon be sure to follow.
Ahh, good point.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive