AfterDawn Forums

why is homebrew channel a blank screen?

This discussion thread has 14 messages.

installed the twilight hack.
got firmware version 2.1E

Whenever i load the homebrew channel i just get the blank screen.
cant be SD card because i used that to hack the wii and save game files were reading perfectly.

thank you
▼▼ This topic has 13 answers - they are below this advertisement ▼▼
AfterDawn Advertisement
What do you mean by blank screen? Do you mean a truly blank, black screen? If thats the case you should upgrade the wii's firmware to 3.2 (use mario kart to upgrade it)

If you're getting a blue screen with bubbles then you probably don't have your apps arranged properly on the SD card. Make sure any programs you want to be listed when you load the channel are in a folder called 'apps' in the root of the SD card.
can someone please help me im totally not sure if im doing this right or wrong.
i just got the wii 2 days ago.
the day i got, the first thing i did was the update on the wii.
now im trying to install the homebrew channel.
i finally did after like 3 hours. ... i know . im like really slow lol.
well i have a few folders on my sd
: -private
-boot.dol
-the_homebrew_channel-1.0.1
-sdelfload

well that's what i have no.
i have liked moved the folders around and i just put them back as how they were cause regardless of what i do, it's like when i first got it to be as a channel on the wii.

when i go into the homebrew channel all i see if the blue bubbles floating around.
can someone please please please help me

totally uber =P
Therein lies your problem. The Homebrew channel is just a tool for loading homebrew that it finds on your SD card. Even if your SD card is working properly you HAVE to have all the directories set up correctly or it won't show anything in the homebrew channel. Here is the proper format for setting up your SD card for the HBC (Homebrew channel) []=directory

[apps] = put your homebrew apps in here. go here to find wii homebrew apps

[wads] = put your wads (do a google search for wads if you don't know what they are) in this folder. Then when you load up a wad installer (I use wad manager) it will look in this folder to find the wads to install.

Thats really all you need to show apps in HBC. You can put other things such as ROMS etc. in other folders but the most important directory is the apps directory.
ok. im really sorry.
im very slow at this. it like takes me a while but can you please tell me how to do it from the very beginning.
i just formatted the sd card cause i think i messed it up.
and i just deleted the homebrew channel to start from scratch.
thank you so much for your patience =)

totally uber =P
Here is the best guide out there put together by my good friend Larrylje. Follow it to the T step by step and you can't go wrong. Read the whole thing!

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/735325
Originally posted by veronicae:
-boot.dol
-sdelfload

i have liked moved the folders around and i just put them back as how they were cause regardless of what i do, it's like when i first got it to be as a channel on the wii.

when i go into the homebrew channel all i see if the blue bubbles floating around.
Originally posted by Manifesta:
-boot.dol
-sdelfload

I am getting the same problem, it has installed properly when I insert SD nothing shows up. I have the folders set out correctly I think

I even downloaded a premade folder with stuff in from megaupload but still my homebrew channel refuses to show it.
-boot.dol
-sdelfload

I am getting the same problem, it has installed properly when I insert SD nothing shows up. I have the folders set out correctly I think

I even downloaded a premade folder with stuff in from megaupload but still my homebrew channel refuses to show it.
FORGOT, I got firmware 4.0 if that helps?
Originally posted by asaeed:

cant be SD card because i used that to hack the wii and save game files were reading perfectly.

thank you

okey... 1. you installed twilight hack, that is great!
2. you installed homebrew channel, great!
3.its a blank screen... FAIL
uh... i think your SD card should look like this:
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Josh\My Documents\My Pictures\sd card thing[/img] this image probably will fail so ill do this just to make sure...
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Josh\My Documents\My Pictures\sd_card_thing[/img]
and ur welcome

░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░░
░░░▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░SMASH
░░▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░ BALL
░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ Once it
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ appeares
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ all hell
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ breakes
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ loose...
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ copy and
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ paste if
░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ ur a true
░░▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░ brawler
░░░▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░ =D
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░░ I AM=D
Originally posted by joshr1001:
Originally posted by asaeed:

thank you

okey... 1. you installed twilight hack, that is great!
2. you installed homebrew channel, great!
3.its a blank screen... FAIL
uh... i think your SD card should look like this:
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Josh\My Documents\My Pictures\sd card thing[/img] this image probably will fail so ill do this just to make sure...
[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Josh\My Documents\My Pictures\sd_card_thing[/img]
and ur welcome

okey... the image thing was a fail...
so make sure that your sd card is formatted as FAT16 or FAT32.
make the folder APPS in the root of you sd card. put your app folders like mplayer and vdaGX in that. and make sure that any .dol or .elf files are named BOOT.dol or BOOT.elf. if they aren't twilight hack and homebrew channel wont work right.

░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░░
░░░▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░SMASH
░░▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░ BALL
░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ Once it
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ appeares
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ all hell
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ breakes
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ loose...
▓▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓ copy and
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ paste if
░▓▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░ ur a true
░░▓▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓▓░░ brawler
░░░▓░░░░▓▓▓▓▓▓░░░ =D
░░░░░░░░▓▓▓▓░░░░░ I AM=D
me 2.i have wii system firmware 4.10.i have the homebrew channel.i just got it 2day.and all u can c are bubbles and 2 things at the bottom.but if u wanna no how to get the homebrew channel with any firmware.here u go.

u need to save a game to your sd card from your wii.
go to wii options.
then go 2 data management
then save data
go to wii
now click on a game to copy

now for this u need a sd card.2gb or 1gb.
now download hackmii installer beta3.

save it to your desktop
oh yell put your sd card in a pc or computer.
as i said download hackmii installer beta3.
and download bannerbomb/google search it.
when you download something will say aadie_v108

download it.now save it to desktop.now you wanna extract aadle_v108 to sd card.dnt no how google search how to extract.a private folder should show up.and make sure you change your other private to privateold.now open up hackmii installer beta3.go to hackmii installer sfter that.u might c something that says installer.elf.change that 2 boot.elf.but boot.elf may already b there.copy boot.elf.go to sd card next to private n a empty spot right click and click paste.your done.follow those directions and u have the homebrew channel.oh yell when ur done put your sd card back into your wii.go to wii options,data management,channels.go to sd card.something will say load boot.dol/elf.click yes.your done it worked 4 me.gudluck,enjoy.100000000000% it will work.
no im sorry i was wrong.now i will show u how to download the homebrew channel for 3.0-4.1.you must first turn on your wii and copy any game to your sd card.
now take your sd card out of your wii.
insert it into your pc or computer.if anything dosnt show up.just go to my computer and some thing should say sd card.or something like that.open it.
you should now see a folder named private.
now go to google and type in bannerbomb download.go to the 2nd one that says wiibrew.on the right hand side youll see a bannerbomb sign.now go down and click download.now youll see aadlf v108.zip.click and save to desktop.and download hackmii installer right below it.when you press hackmii installer you wii see bootmii.in the first paragraph click download.now click hackmii installer vo.3 and save to desktop.

now click on aadlf v108.you will see a private folder. before anything go to your sd card and rename private privateold.
now go to aadlf v108.you will c private.hold controll c on private.go to sd card next to privateold right click,paste.now go to hackmii installer.you will c hackmii installer again click on it.go to boot.elf if it says installer.elf change it to boot.elf.now press controll c on boot.elf.go to sd card, right click and paste.on your sd card you should see privateold,private,and boot.elf.now put your sd card in your wii.go to wii options.data management,channels.click sd card.something should say load boot.dol/elf.click yes.good luck.
Quote:
first turn on your wii and copy any game to your sd card.
You don't have to do this step.

Quote:
before anything go to your sd card and rename private privateold.
If you have a private folder on your SD card rename it to something other then just private (Example: wiiprivate or as above privateold). If you don't have a private folder on the SD Card then you don't have to do anything.

Quote:
hold controll c on private.go to sd card next to privateold right click,paste.
Just drag the private folder to the SD Card directory. No need to copy and paste.

Quote:
now press controll c on boot.elf.go to sd card, right click and paste.
Again just drag the boot.elf to the root of the SD Card directory. No need to copy and paste.

Quote:
now put your sd card in your wii.go to wii options.data management,channels.click sd card.something should say load boot.dol/elf.

The proper way to load the boot.dol/elf file is to first go to data management>channels>SD CARD TAB which will say no SD card inserted. At this time push the SD Card in the SD Slot. You should then get the load boot.dol/elf action (having the SD Card in the slot before doing the above action can cause the Wii to freeze).

You should also put a space after a . so the sentences don't run all together. I know your trying to help but put extra care into your post so it actually helps members instead of hindering them.

This discussion thread has been automatically closed, as it hasn't received any new posts during the last 180 days. This means that you can't post replies or new questions to this discussion thread.

If you have something to add to this topic, use this page to post your question or comments to a new discussion thread.