1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to use or install the Lame encoder ?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by zonedout, Dec 30, 2008.

1. zonedout

zonedout Member

Could someone please exlain how to deal with the mp3 lame encoder files as they are when downloaded from the Lame site ?
    I want to use the Lame mp3 encoder with Foobar to create some mp3 files from flac files, there is a guide on this forum at
    http://www.afterdawn.com/guides/archive/how_to_convert_flac_files_to_mp3.cfm

The information in this guide appears to be incorrect or am I misunderstanding it ?

Firstly the guide says drag the files out of the downloaded Lame.tar file to a new folder on your hardrive.
    This does not work as the downloaded .tar file contains several files with the same name and is set up so when you hit extract it builds a directory tree, the folders in this tree have files with the same name distributed amongst them so if you just drag all the files out to a new folder as the guide says, instead of extracting them using the extract button, you end up having to either, replace files several times over as each one with the same name tries to copy to the folder, or rename each one file(2) file(3) etc.

Secondly if you do use the extract button and allow winzip to create the directory tree in your new folder, you end up with a bewildering array of folders full of files none of which is an .exe file, which brings me to my next point, the guide says, once you have created your folder with the Lame encoder files, you need to point Foobar to the file called Lame.exe in your new folder.
    When you extract the files to a new folder there is no Lame.exe.

The .tar file itself has a readme which talks about building this codec and needing a windows 98 DDK (I have no idea what that is)and a bunch of other techy stuff such as the required headers are also available in CYGWIN+w32api, MINGW32 or Wine (I have no clue what that means either)

I would greatly some help with this.

2. zonedout

zonedout Member

OK I figured this out it has to be compiled first